Simulate tube amp behaviors

Hello Spec, my current rig is the XL+ Plus and yes, FRFR, using the QSC K-10 floor wedge.

Right. So here's the deal. Even with plenty of volume a FRFR system is not going to behave exactly like a power amp and real guitar cab.

The QSC is amplifying an impulse, which is great for fitting into a mix, but it won't behave identically to an amp and cab in the room, which is partly what creates that guitar/speaker interaction that gives you the controlled feedback.

I know people say they get sufficient results from FRFR when it comes to getting feedback, but due to how frfr works it won't give you the exact replication of that feedback interaction you'll get from a real cab.

Right. So here's the deal. Even with plenty of volume a FRFR system is not going to behave exactly like a power amp and real guitar cab.

The QSC is amplifying an impulse, which is great for fitting into a mix, but it won't behave identically to an amp and cab in the room, which is partly what creates that guitar/speaker interaction that gives you the controlled feedback.

I know people say they get sufficient results from FRFR when it comes to getting feedback, but due to how frfr works it won't give you the exact replication of that feedback interaction you'll get from a real cab.
Aaawww heck! I want my money back now! :D Okay, I will have to experiement with my parameters and see how I can mimic that. I haven't but been wanting to try running the Axe-Fx through my Mesa/Boogie DynaWatt 20/20 and through my Mesa/Boogie old style 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet. Perhaps, I'd go back to that if I can get that sound that I'm looking for. FRFR is not bad, just takes some adjustments and I owe the system a good experimenting. Other than that, I like most everything else that the system offers.

Thank you for the input. I'm still pretty new with this system. I've had it for 7 or 8 months now but when I say new, I meant that I hadn't explored with it much. Life is too busy with school and gigs that I just get it to where it's doing what I need but haven't fine tuned it or set up other sound patches.

...my current rig is the XL+ Plus and yes, FRFR, using the QSC K-10 floor wedge.
If you turn down the volume on that wedge, I guarantee your note will decay faster. :)

The folks who are suggesting that you night be running with too much gain or compression could well be spot on. But turning up the volume sustains the note longer, and turning it down makes the note fade faster.

You say it doesn't respond like a real amp when you finish a solo, but how are you turning down after a solo when using a real amp?

Guys - what he is talking about is harmonic feedback. The Axe IS behaving like an amp. It's just behaving like an amp with a cab in another room with a mic on a speaker being fed to his stage sound.

While FRFR cab approximate harmonic feedback to a degree, it will never respond the exact same way as having the cab in the room. There are physical differences that cannot be emulated.

If it's that important, it's very easy to hook an Axe fx up to a power amp and cab. And you should try it! It's fun and in my opinion gives me the best experience I can of just playing with the axe.

Never heard of "too much sustain" before. That's like someone saying "I have too much money" <grin>

Why not just gradually roll the volume down on the guitar while you're standing there letting a note ring?

If you turn down the volume on that wedge, I guarantee your note will decay faster. :)

The folks who are suggesting that you night be running with too much gain or compression could well be spot on. But turning up the volume sustains the note longer, and turning it down makes the note fade faster.
Thank you, Rex. I'll try that, too! I'll probably have a harder time hearing but I'll experiment with that and observe. :)

You say it doesn't respond like a real amp when you finish a solo, but how are you turning down after a solo when using a real amp?
Hi Randall, that's exactly what I'm saying... I don't turn down on a real amp on the last note. When the note decays down, I switch over to my rhythm patch. That's what I can't seem to get right now.

Guys - what he is talking about is harmonic feedback. The Axe IS behaving like an amp. It's just behaving like an amp with a cab in another room with a mic on a speaker being fed to his stage sound.

While FRFR cab approximate harmonic feedback to a degree, it will never respond the exact same way as having the cab in the room. There are physical differences that cannot be emulated.

If it's that important, it's very easy to hook an Axe fx up to a power amp and cab. And you should try it! It's fun and in my opinion gives me the best experience I can of just playing with the axe.
Hi there again Speculum, I've been meaning to try that - Axe-Fx through my Mesa/Boogie DynaWatt 20/20 tube amp and Mesa/Boogie 2x12 or 4x12 guitar cabinet. I may like the "sweet" tone and convert a standard floor wedge with a guitar speaker while continuing to feed FOH like I have been. However, that would mean bringing a guitar cabinet, which is back to what I used to do. :( I might have to accept a little compromise, but not without exploring the suggestions that everyone has mentioned here. I'll revisit my eq settings, as well and see if I can tweak that a little better or perhaps try a different amp block. I do like the current compact setup of a 4 space rack and QSC K-10 floor wedge. The floor wedge serves as guitar speaker and also as vocal monitor. I love everything else about the Axe-Fx - the chorus, flanger, delay, reverb, intelligent harmonizer, octaver, rotary, tremolo and countless other effects that's all built into one unit. It alleviates troubleshooting of the audio chain. I gig every weekend, sometimes more and my gear used to sometimes be a constant maintenance of changing tubes, patch and speaker cables shorting out, etc. and it's stressful trying to troubleshoot stuff while in the middle of a song in the middle of the set. My setup now is wireless to Axe to FOH and floor wedge. Nothing has been a major issue and the process of elimination is much less. As long as I see the input led's bonce up and down and the FOH is getting signal, then I know all is good. If the led's are not bouncing, then it's outside the Axe issue, like a battery going out.

Never heard of "too much sustain" before. That's like someone saying "I have too much money" <grin>

Why not just gradually roll the volume down on the guitar while you're standing there letting a note ring?
Hello Cagey, cuz I'm a spoiled brat?! :D I may have to manually do that. I'm going to explore the suggestions and try and tweak my eq settings and see. I may also try a different amp block. This machine is ridiculous! It was really made for someone who is retired with nothing better to do than tweak sounds all day! Lol! :D

If a note is not dying down while the string is, then it is compressing.
If you are not using a compressor in the chain then there is too much gain. Overdrive or distortion are nothing else than extreme, over the top compression. Look at a scope signal of a compressed sine wave, then look at the same wave through an overdrive and you will see very similar stuff happening. The tops of the waveforms will flatten, there will be spikes on the tops as the sizzle starts kicking in. Of course overdrive will go much further than a compressor.

This is not a noise gate thing because that only shuts down the signal, usually in a too abrupt manner to most. Which on the other side, some extremely heavy chuggers use to get the staccato effect. The AxeFx has a noise gate on the input, but also a more intricate noise gate block for more control over parameters. I've never turned the gate lower than 70%.

I have no trouble getting controlled harmonic feedback with a Duesenberg Starplayer TV at very low volume and moderate gain. But that's not a solid body guitar and that makes a difference. My superstrat is less prone to feedback.

Turn the gain down. Do not post a reply until you have done so.

:wink:

Last edited:
I use a volume block assigned to a Mission pedal. Our band does live fade endings.
I didn't know that there is a volume block. I have 2 Mission pedals. I'm only using one right now, for the wah. The other one that I have is a dual purpose Mission pedal where I can use it for wah and volume, as well but haven't figured out how to calibrate the Axe and use it as such. For the wah, it seemed to just plug and play. I know there were vids on youtube on how to calibrate but I don't think I have seen one on how to calibrate a dual purpose pedal, though I would think it's very similar to the single purpose pedal.

If a note is not dying down while the string is, then it is compressing.
If you are not using a compressor in the chain then there is too much gain. Overdrive or distortion are nothing else than extreme, over the top compression. Look at a scope signal of a compressed sine wave, then look at the same wave through an overdrive and you will see very similar stuff happening. The tops of the waveforms will flatten, there will be spikes on the tops as the sizzle starts kicking in. Of course overdrive will go much further than a compressor.

This is not a noise gate thing because that only shuts down the signal, usually in a too abrupt manner to most. Which on the other side, some extremely heavy chuggers use to get the staccato effect. The AxeFx has a noise gate on the input, but also a more intricate noise gate block for more control over parameters. I've never turned the gate lower than 70%.

I have no trouble getting controlled harmonic feedback with a Duesenberg Starplayer TV at very low volume and moderate gain. But that's not a solid body guitar and that makes a difference. My superstrat is less prone to feedback.

Turn the gain down. Do not post a reply until you have done so.

:wink:
Hi and thank you, Dutch. I will do so but couldn't not reply to say thank you first. That said, I'll leave it at that for now until I have done so. :)

Back
Top Bottom