Simplest Recording Program?

Boogieman

Inspired
I almost never record, and the last time I did was with Reaper. Reaper was great but its power made it a bit cumbersome to use for a "quick and dirty" recording - especially since I have not used it for years. Finally, I have a new computer and Reaper is not even on it.

A friend wants some short, simple mp3 recordings but I don't want the hassle of loading up Reaper and re-learning how to use it for this simple task. I also have no plans to do any more recording in the future. Is there a lower-power/simpler recording program compatible with Windows 10 that I can buy? Maybe I should just get a non-workstation recording device, but I would rather use USB.

Appreciate your thoughts,
Brad

From my experience, reaper was the most simplistic. I'm sure others here will have other/better opinions. I tried Pro Tools First (the free version) and it seemed more complicated than reaper.

Try Audacity. It's a free, open source audio editing program that works great as a quick and dirty recording scratchpad. It's got a lot of features, but it's not intended to be a full blown DAW. Make sure you download the free LAME MP3 encoder as well for MP3 export support.

http://www.audacityteam.org/

Reaper is so flexible that you can make the interface as simple or complex as you want, but it does take quite a bit of time and work to learn it all. Something like Audacity is much simpler for the occasional quick recording.

Edit: Damn yall beat me to it. :p

Last edited:
Adobe Audition. MUCH better than Audacity. And you can get version 3.0 for free. Adobe released it to the wild a few years ago, when they deactivated the activation servers.
Way better than Audacity.

Studio One is what I use. It is reported to be one of the more intuitive full DAWs. I think it is great but it is a full DAW.

Audacity is pretty easy to work with. I use it for light recording stuff. I have an older beta version with no issues. I keep telling myself I will download the latest, but never do haha. I've gotten some pretty decent recordings and mixes using it, however it is no Pro Tools by far. I'm just using it for basic stuff and getting ideas down while they are on my mind. I don't have time to learn Pro Tools, so it serves me pretty well for my simple needs. They have manuals and videos you can use to help learn Audacity. For being Free and the what you get with it, if you are new to recording like me, you can't really beat it.

I use an older version of mixcraft because it had a real simple interface, similar to garage band. I've had problems with the activation since updating to Windows 10, so I might check out Audacity to see if it meets my (Very simple) needs.

I'd say... reaper is as complicated as you want it to be...
Adding tracks and recording onto them is easy as hell... What's so confusing about it?

Joyoshare Desktop Audio Recorder.
With this, push the recording button to record the audio, and push the button again.
Why pay for it? Better quality, more format choices.

Back
Top Bottom