Simple tip for Recto tones

I believe the Road King Combo is around 100 lbs. Gotta be close to being one of the heaviest guitar amps out there. I can't imagine, even with castors.
I'd love to compare my Multi-watt DR to a ToV, since I've heard many say it's the best DR, because my amp sounds killer. I guess you don't know that something can sound better than what you're already very pleased with, til you hear it yourself. Kinda like Cygnus.
I’ve got a Road King II 2x12 combo with Altec 417-8H speakers in it. I’m never sure whether to carry it to my truck or just carry my truck to it.

Last edited:
@FractalAudio is welcome to borrow and model any of my amps at any time.

• ‘95 Mesa Tremoverb
  • ‘96 Marshall JCM Slash (ultimate Jubilee with more “oomph”)
  • ‘05 Soldano Avenger
  • ‘19 Mesa Multi-Watt Triple Rec
  • ‘97 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
  • Mesa DC-5 Dual Caliber
  • Laney Iron Heart (60w)
  • ‘94 Korg era Vox AC30
  • ‘94 Marshall SL-X (5881)
That is super generous of you Mr York , for the record as from your prior comments i had a QC here for a few weeks the TOV Recto and SLO really were not good

• ‘95 Mesa Tremoverb
  • ‘05 Soldano Avenger
  • Mesa DC-5 Dual Caliber
  • Laney Iron Heart (60w)
  • ‘94 Korg era Vox AC30
I think that we have the AFD100 Model, but didn't know that the JCM Slash has more oomph.
And hell yeah for the Triple Recto, Tremoverb.

I think that we have the AFD100 Model, but didn't know that the JCM Slash has more oomph.
And hell yeah for the Triple Recto, Tremoverb.
The JCM Slash sounds very different than the AFD100. Apparently, Slash wanted replicas made of his favorite Jubilee heads to use on the road in the 90’s. Marshall had the idea to make it a “signature” amp because they were only able to source enough parts to make 3,000 units for a limited edition run that was as close as they could get to his original heads (I think it was the transformers or something).

Anyway, this amp is said to have more low end, more gain on tap, and a less honky/brash upper midrange than the AFD100 and current Jubilee reissues. I’ve tried to match it in the Axe with the AFD and Brit Silver models, but they’re very far apart.

The Tremoverb would be amazing to have in the Axe! The Multi-Watt Triple Rec is a great sounding amp, but I’d take the ToV over it any day.

I believe the Road King Combo is around 100 lbs. Gotta be close to being one of the heaviest guitar amps out there. I can't imagine, even with castors.
I'd love to compare my Multi-watt DR to a ToV, since I've heard many say it's the best DR, because my amp sounds killer. I guess you don't know that something can sound better than what you're already very pleased with, til you hear it yourself. Kinda like Cygnus.
There was some YouTube video where the person weighed just the chrome knobs on a Recto and it came out to be something like 5 lbs. As I type this that sounds unbelievable, but that's what I remember...

Not to get too nitty gritty, but there were at least a few months in '93 where the Tremoverbs share some Rev F-ish features (serial loop; Mark III power transformer) and have a different board than the rest of the Tremoverbs (RR-1D instead of the more typical RR-1E).

Mine is an RR-1D with the Mark III power transformer. It's been a while since I've had a Rev F or Rev G Recto, so I can't really say which this Tremoverb is more like. But it's at least possible that not all Tremoverbs are like the Rev G Recto.
Thanks! I learn something every time I'm here.

Never loved the DR I had until I played a 1000 seat theater with a huge stage. The room swallowed my usual stage volume up completely so they had me turn up. It was insanely loud and became a completely different animal. The only time I felt like a real deal rock star, even though the place was 80% empty.

• ‘95 Mesa Tremoverb
  • ‘05 Soldano Avenger
  • Mesa DC-5 Dual Caliber
  • Laney Iron Heart (60w)
  • ‘94 Korg era Vox AC30
Yeah I offered up my mesa DC-10 a while back, but no one took me up on it. Would love to have a model of one of my favorite amps. Also have a Voodoo amplification v rock dual lead I would happily offer up too, but it's really just another modded jcm 800 style amp so totally get why they wild have no care to model that one, I wild day we have enough of those. Just wish we had a proper early 80's vertical input 2203.

• ‘95 Mesa Tremoverb
  • ‘05 Soldano Avenger
  • Mesa DC-5 Dual Caliber
  • Laney Iron Heart (60w)
  • ‘94 Korg era Vox AC30

@FractalAudio

Attachments

• 41BDAB6F-6387-44F3-95AC-81C5D81F099C.jpeg
    41BDAB6F-6387-44F3-95AC-81C5D81F099C.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Question for those running low master on their recto presets - what do you set your level to in that case?

I did enjoy my ToV head while i had it. I had a 2 channel recto before and the ToV just seemed easier to dial in and get a great sound out of. plus the clean channel was much more useable. I did replace it with a MKIV combo for the versatility, the smoother leads, and the smaller size though. But no more tube amps for me these days!

For some gnarly tones, lower the master volume to the 0.50-0.90 range.

This is plennnnty loud enough on the real amp, and more akin to what people are "used" to hearing when playing one.

YMMV.

Love the accurate DR tone. Would you consider posting the preset to axe change?

‘19 Mesa Multi-Watt Triple Rec

have you by chance ever turned variac up to 150% ? the rectos become SLOs, and as far as I know there is not one single component difference bw dual and triple rec other than the extra power section headroom, being recto 2 is a multi watt dual a multi watt triple rec is one knob away from recto 2

Back
Top Bottom