Simple Scenes question

Wildwind

Experienced
New to Scenes, giving it a try today.

My questions - MFC is set up correctly, bottom row selects Scenes 1-5 (all I'm using). But the other rows have various toggled FX. I'm used to these turning off (or on) when I switch patches. With Scenes, they don't turn off (when that Scene does not call for that effect).

Easy fix?

by default if you have never used scenes all fx will be on in scene 2-8. You have to program your scenes to have the fx you want on and turn off the rest

Correct - all blocks in the patch default to on in all the scenes. I've always wished it were the other way around and they defaulted to off. If I add a, say Formant filter the chance of me wanting it on in every scene is pretty low ;-/

So all those toggled FX buttons - I assume they still work but I have to toggle them off instead of hitting a Scene button along the bottom to get back to default for that Scene?

Think of the 8 scenes as 8 snap shots of your same preset with different fx and xy states being on or off as you see fit to program them

Yeah, that part I get. I was just hoping my occasionally-used FX would shut themselves off when I changed Scenes (or re-selected the active Scene). No way to do that? Not sure I'm saying this right...

I might be doing a poor job of explaning my self. Let me try again. Since you have never messed with scenes before scene 2-8 will have ever block you have saved in your preset engaged. You have to save per scene what fx you want engaged. So let's say you have a scene that just has drive and delay and both are off in the next scene you have the delay on but drive off. If you are in the first scene and you turn on your ia for drive when you switch to scene two that drive will turn off because you have it programmed as off in that scene and the delay will turn on because you have it turned on in that scene.

In the utilities menue there is an option called scene revert. Using my above example if when you go back to scene one you want that drive off because it is how you originally saved the scene then turn scene revert on. If you want that drive to stay on for that scene until you say so then turn scene revert off

Yeah. (crossed posted, but brokenvail also explained it).

What you want to do is, for a given scene, turn on/off the effects you want, then save the patch. Do that for each scene. The (or one) basic idea with scenes is that it's a way to turn on/off multiple items with only a single push of a button. It obviously gets more complicated when you start discussing scene controllers, but to start with, just think of it as a way to change the on/off state of multiple items at once. And the first thing to do is save the on/off state for each scene by recalling that scene, turning on/off IAs and saving the preset. Then repeat for each scene.

When you're in a scene and you change the state of a couple IAs, you can hit that same scene button again and it'll revert back to its saved state (unless of course you've saved the patch with the new/current state of the IAs). That of course doesn't hold true if you have scene revert turned off. Hope that makes sense. Now that my scenes are all set up, I tend to hit the bottom 5 scene buttons almost exclusively and only occasionally hit an IA, and I have scene revert on (default).

Last edited:
Yeah, that part I get. I was just hoping my occasionally-used FX would shut themselves off when I changed Scenes (or re-selected the active Scene). No way to do that? Not sure I'm saying this right...
They will once you've saved the state of a given scene with that effect off. The default is for each scene to have each effect enabled, so unfortunately if you add an effect that you only want on in one scene, you have to go to each scene and turn it off, save, then repeat for the next scene. Make sure you save the patch every time you want to save a scene's config, before moving on to the next scene. Myself, I wish the default was for a newly added block to be in its off state, but oh well.

For example, I want a phaser in scene 3, and only scene 3. I plop a phaser block in the grid. Then I go to scene 1, disable the phaser, save the patch. Then I do the same for scenes 2, 4 and 5. Now, if hit scene 3, play for a bit, click the phaser IA to turn the phaser off, play, then hit scene 3 again - the scene WILL revert back to its saved state, and the phaser will be turned back on. Or the inverse example: I'm in scene 1, I click the phaser on for a bit - I can hit scene 1 again and the phaser will be turned off (or any other scene that that phaser is off, i.e. scenes 2,4,5).

Last edited:
Okay, thanks everyone. I think I understand what I have to do. I'll get back to it this evening. Any other thoughts, please shoot them along.

Okay, thanks everyone. I think I understand what I have to do. I'll get back to it this evening. Any other thoughts, please shoot them along.
You bet. Good luck.
Incidentally, scenes was one of the big selling factors that made me move to the Axe Fx. Having one patch per song instead of 5 has really simplified things, and the seamless switching between scenes is really nice to have.

Back
Top Bottom