Simple recording with AX8 into Garage Band?

smegolas

Inspired
what would be a good mixer / audio interface for this? don't mind spending a couple bucks for something good, but dont need anything crazy. a couple people have mentioned Focusrite? But there's lots of models. and what's SPDIF and do i need that?

thanks

SPDIF is a digital interface (hence the ...DIF in the name). The output signal from the AX8 can be transmitted via SPDIF to another device like an audio interface. The benefit of using SPDIF is that it's digital so there is no DA/AD conversion between the AX8 and your DAW. Plus, it's a stereo signal via one cable. The Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 has the appropriate coaxial SPDIF input where the AX8 can be connected. That's how I have mine set up.

However, to my knowledge it's impossible to record the AX8 in Garage Band when it's connected via SPDIF because Garage Band is restricted to a sample rate of 44.1 kHz while the AX8 uses 48 kHz at the SPDIF and the audio interface has to be set to the external clock of AX8 in order to get the connection working. If you insist on using SPDIF then you will probably need to use another DAW. Reaper, ProTools etc. let you record with 48 kHz.

If you don't insist on using SPDIF, then you can get away with a simple Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and have the stereo signal from the AX8 connected via two cables (one for each channel) to the audio interface. You can find a prominent example for a similar configuration in the following video:

Back
Top Bottom