Simple Mode would be nice

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
Note: this post is specifically about editing from the front panel—not talking about the editor.

This has probably been brought up but...

I was talking with a friend who just got an FM3. He is very experienced with modelers but this is his first Fractal. He said it sounds and feels great. He made an interesting analogy. He said it feels a bit like an android phone that’s always in developer mode. So we were talking about what a “Simple Mode” might look like. Maybe something like:

If you edit a block the screen would just be the basic controls for that block and would be editable via the A-E knobs. For example, something like:

Amp: drive, bass, mid, treble, presence, depth, volume
Delay: feedback, mix, level, subdivision
Reverb: decay, mix, level, type

Maybe pushing one of the knobs would just toggle between normal and simple mode.

Hitting exit would take you back to the layout.

It’s kind of like Performance mode in a way (which will be cool as well when it’s ported), but is more so targeted at super clean, quick, and uncluttered editing.

Crazy idea?

Last edited:
Its all relative though....

To someone who's never owned a tube amp or used effects, the "simple" things like presence and depth are probably confusing and they've never come across those controls before.... likewise, lots of people probably don't have a clue about how subdivisions on a delay work.....

So for how simple of minds should simple mode be ? And more so, does it really do anyone a favor making it too easy, or, is it better to require a bit of effort in learning and then having a lifetime of enjoyment being able to craft any sound they desire ?

Its all relative though....

To someone who's never owned a tube amp or used effects, the "simple" things like presence and depth are probably confusing and they've never come across those controls before.... likewise, lots of people probably don't have a clue about how subdivisions on a delay work.....

So for how simple of minds should simple mode be ? And more so, does it really do anyone a favor making it too easy, or, is it better to require a bit of effort in learning and then having a lifetime of enjoyment being able to craft any sound they desire ?

In context, I believe the standard/basic controls you get on most amps and effects are what most would consider to be simple.

A simple mode like that should probably be targeted at folks who are used to those basic controls and what they do.

I definitely disagree about making it “too easy.“ That’s basically saying a modeler should be harder to use than amps and effects just for the sake of challenging the user.

This has probably been brought up but...

I was talking with a friend who just got an FM3. He is very experienced with modelers but this is his first Fractal. He said it sounds and feels great. He made an interesting analogy. He said it feels a bit like an android phone that’s always in developer mode. So we were talking about what a “Simple Mode” might look like. Maybe something like:

If you edit a block the screen would just be the basic controls for that block and would be editable via the A-E knobs. For example, something like:

Amp: drive, bass, mid, treble, presence, depth, volume
Delay: feedback, mix, level, subdivision
Reverb: decay, mix, level, type

Maybe pushing one of the knobs would just toggle between normal and simple mode.

Hitting exit would take you back to the layout.

It’s kind of like Performance mode in a way (which will be cool as well when it’s ported), but is more so targeted at super clean, quick, and uncluttered editing.

Crazy idea?
I would think authentic page on Axe Edit would be considered simple mode. At least for amps.

1589477436953.png

Isn’t there an authentic/ideal mode in the amp block for the front panel as well?

Once we get the Perform pages from the Axe3, you could also put the 10 “simple” controls you want to edit mostly there and not even go into any blocks.

This has been an age-old request and I think they’ve made several improvements over the years to help with this. however as with any gear, anyone needs to learn the unit a bit to get used to it.

I’ve also seen where people use the authentic controls, comment that they can’t make it sound how they want because there’s only gain and treble controls or whatever, then get frustrated. It’s a double edged sword sometimes. Additionally many of the non-simple controls are on advanced pages and some can’t stay away from those pages and claim it’s hard because they don’t know what those controls do. We’ve had requests to completely hide those pages so people aren’t “tempted” to go there. shrug

This is a tough topic because simple to one person isn’t simple to another. I’ve seen master volume called “advanced” as well as amps with gain and overdrive. As I said, at some point we need to learn what the controls on the Basic page do, as they are fundamental to the amp being modeled. Many of us are all for simple controls and processes, but what that actually means is different to everyone.

Last edited:
I definitely disagree about making it “too easy.“ That’s basically saying a modeler should be harder to use than amps and effects just for the sake of challenging the user.

Is a challenge a bad thing though ? After you put in the effort then there is basically nothing you can't do, no ?

Did the best teachers show you the easy way to just get by, or did they challenge you and leave you with lasting skills ?

Does FM3 have the custom knob performance screen? if not, will it?
You know, the one where you can put easy to reach knobs from any block?

No, the performance screens aren’t there yet. FAS has already said in a thread somewhere that the performance screens will be ported at some point. I think the USB issues were a higher priority.

It's an interesting idea. But my idea of modeling is that this serves gear geeks who likes to tweak. Someone who likes to plug straight and play will definatly appreciate a regular amp with a simple eq.

I kinda like the idea. Basic controls you would see on a stomp box and amp face for quick easy interaction. Part of the reason some people I know avoid this stuff is intimidation. This could bring in a whole new clientele. Once people are comfortable, they can start with the deep dives and tweaks...

Isn’t there an authentic/ideal mode in the amp block for the front panel as well?

Once we get the Perform pages from the Axe3, you could also put the 10 “simple” controls you want to edit mostly there and not even go into any blocks.

This has been an age-old request and I think they’ve made several improvements over the years to help with this. however as with any gear, anyone needs to learn the unit a bit to get used to it.

I’ve also seen where people use the authentic controls, comment that they can’t make it sound how they want because there’s only gain and treble controls or whatever, then get frustrated. It’s a double edged sword sometimes. Additionally many of the non-simple controls are on advanced pages and some can’t stay away from those pages and claim it’s hard because they don’t know what those controls do. We’ve had requests to completely hide those pages so people aren’t “tempted” to go there. shrug

This is a tough topic because simple to one person isn’t simple to another. I’ve seen master volume called “advanced” as well as amps with gain and overdrive. As I said, at some point we need to learn what the controls on the Basic page do, as they are fundamental to the amp being modeled. Many of us are all for simple controls and processes, but what that actually means is different to everyone.

Yeah there are pretty simple controls for the amp block and some others so it’s kinda part way there anyway.

It’s true that what’s simple to one may not be simple to another. However, I think what you’d find on the face of most amps (generally: gain, bass, mid, high, presence, master volume, and perhaps depth/resonance) could be accepted as fairly simple in the guitar world. Similarly “universal” controls exist on effects too of course.

It’s interesting to me that some of you guys feel like people “need to learn how to use...” I think you can get great tones using just the authentic/basic controls, so I’m just talking about a streamlined UI really. And even then just as an option. If you don’t want to ever see that UIyou wouldn’t need to.

Like @badmagick said, having such a simplified UI could easily appeal to a bunch of people for whom the UI and all its options are a turn off. The Iridium sold a TON of units to folks who were/are interested in modeling but who are also not into menu diving.

I have no idea how tough it would be to implement but I just don’t see any actual cons there.

Maybe just an upgrade to Performance mode to allow like 4 pages. That sounds extremely simple and would get the job done (it doesn’t do that already does it??).

Is a challenge a bad thing though ? After you put in the effort then there is basically nothing you can't do, no ?

Did the best teachers show you the easy way to just get by, or did they challenge you and leave you with lasting skills ?

Teachers? It’s an amp modeler. A tool. I am certainly not buying any tool that’s tough to use just so I can get better at using it. In fact I’d argue that the best tools are the ones that are easiest to use to obtain high quality results.

A great teacher will challenge you to get better. A great tool will allow you to get outstanding results easier than other tools.

Edit to add: I definitely think the FM3 is already a great tool btw. It just seems to me such an option would make it even better (easier to use for a lot of people).

Ok after a bit more discussion (thanks guys) I’m thinking a simple solution would in fact be just additional pages on the performance screen (Global assignment ability would make it perfect). I’ll just add it as a wish and hope :)

I think my main struggles with the interface (both on the unit FX2 and in Axe-Edit), was that I thought of it as an amplifier.
I expected an amplifier interface (maybe not with the graphics of actually looking like an amplifier but at least those knobs). On top of that, I also thought it was super unintuitive to have the same amp as different amp models, just modelling different channels or with certain switches engages (e.g. Bright switch is a separate amp model in the Axe). I would've wanted it to have just, you select the amp, then either engage the bright switch or not. Then if it's a completely different circuit in the background, I don't need to know about.

But I think all of that boils down to different ways of thinking. I'm getting more accustomed with the Fractal way so I think it just takes a little while to adjust. But all efforts to improve the "Authentic" feel is welcomed by me!

View attachment 67484
kinda like the AX8....

In three years of AX8 ownership I don’t think I used those once. Wait, I take that back. I did use it the first time I plugged it in. I set in in AX-8 Edit and never tweaked it again.

But with performance mode in the AxeIII, being able to choose the 10 parameters I might adjust on the fly using the five A-E knobs, with another 10 parameters on a per-preset basis, I did use that a few times.

Ok after a bit more discussion (thanks guys) I’m thinking a simple solution would in fact be just additional pages on the performance screen (Global assignment ability would make it perfect). I’ll just add it as a wish and hope :)

They already said they are adding it. 10 parameters global on one page, and another 10 per-preset on a second page.

It's an interesting idea. But my idea of modeling is that this serves gear geeks who likes to tweak. Someone who likes to plug straight and play will definatly appreciate a regular amp with a simple eq.
It can and does serve a whole range of players, and can do both nicely.

The Authentic mode should solve that. Add the Performance mode and people should be quite happy.

Back
Top Bottom