Simple hum cancelling devices...

Ghost_of_Cain

Inspired
Hi,

I was getting severe 50Hz low sounding hum when connecting AX8 into Mesa Electradyne's FX loop return. No noise, no hiss, just hum. Humbuster cable did not help, which was really puzzling (as they always seemed to help in such situations..). I started to think about buying simple Ebtech like device which - as they say - safely lifts the ground in the connection. Behringer is widely popular and available in EU, but before I pulled the trigger, I searched the drawer for anything that could go in the chain before the fx return and had a "ground lift" option. Cheap Decimator copy didn't work. But this simple DI-Box did - I was more than happy to hear the hum gone!

MGalleryItem.php

The problem is, it did a massacre on the signal. It's half as loud, shrill and fizzy. The question is: if I buy Behringer Hum Destroyer HD400, or even higher priced Ebtech Hum Eliminator - would it also have an impact on the signal? Or - maybe, and I do hope this is the case - the female XLR to TRS adaptor is the murderer, and I should first check if XLR to TS would make a difference? Could it be that simple?

Thanks for any help!

A few years ago, i bought the Ebtech device. It did not solve my hum noise problem. In fact, it added noise. Needless to say, that device was a waste of money (for me) and has been gathering dust ever since.

Ultimately I took the time to analyze my issues and eliminate ground loops.

In my opinion, those devices are like applying a band-aid to an ankle strain... at best they can only mask the real issue.

The problem is, it did a massacre on the signal. It's half as loud, shrill and fizzy. The question is: if I buy Behringer Hum Destroyer HD400, or even higher priced Ebtech Hum Eliminator - would it also have an impact on the signal?
Isolation transformers will always have some effect on your tone, but it shouldn't be radical or nasty.

I frequently get hum through my backline, once things are all connected from the Ax8 to FOH. (I run Out 2 with no cab sim to FX return on the backline amp.) I always carry an EbTech "Hum X" Hum Exterminator and it makes it go away. This is the one that your amp AC plug goes into to safely lift the ground there.

Back
Top Bottom