Simple Footswitch question

sfbrodsky

Hi all. I just got the email and I placed my FM3 order. I have an external footswitch question. I looked through the FM3 manual and I can’t find the answer. I did do a search here to see if this question has been answered, but I did not see it here in the thread. I’ve seen a number of videos about switching but they seemed to focus on stand in switches used with the FC-6 or midi controllers.

On the FM3, I want to use 1 expression pedal, and I would like to also use 1 external 2 button footswitch connected via TRS. I would like that 2 button footswitch to do some simple functions in each of my presets: 1 button to activate a PEQ as a booster and 1 button to activate the tuner. Is this possible to set up and possible with the 2 pedal inputs on the FM3 (1 expression and one 2 button footswitch)?

I know this is a total noob question, and I appreciate the help. As background, I am an AX8 user, and I have gigged with it. But I am definitely a newer user. I have a number of presets that I use with 2 or 3 scenes each. I control some different effects in those presets with footswitches, and I had an expression pedal set up too. That was about the limit of my usage / knowledge.

Thanks!

What you want to do is absolutely doable. Take a look at the section on stand-in switches in the manual p.80 and see if the linked video helps - I’ve started the video where he talks about using an external switch. The tuner is the simpler part. The boost requires that you use something like a Control Switch (CS) in the stand-in definition and then configure the PEQ bypass to be controlled by the CS. If you intend to use the same methodology all the time you can save the PEQ block in the library which will save you some time on configuration.

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks very much for the help! I'll start reading on this and viewing now. Got my tracking from Fractal...looking forward to it.

UPDATE:

I got some help and it's resolved - user error, as expected.

Hi -

I'm new to the FM3. I understand most of it - but trying to connect a 2 switch pedal to Pedal 2 and set it up to Sw1 (Tip) - Scene 4 (PRESS) / Tuner (HOLD) and Sw 2 (Ring) - Scene 5 (PRESS) / Preset +1 (HOLD).

I tried following along with the above video - but I clearly wasn't tracking. I went into the Global Menu and assigned the Stand In Switch settings to:

FM3 SW 2 TIP
Layout 2: SCENES
4: Scene, Select

FM3 SW 2 RING
Layout 2: SCENES
5: Scene, Select

When I did that Sw2 would take me Scene 5 and return the FM3 switches to the Master Layout. Sw1 activated the Tuner. I acknowledge this as user error - any guidance would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom