Implemented "Simple Delay"

you might be able to trick the delay, I haven’t tried this on the Axe yet. When you start a delay have the feedback at zero then when you want to hold it have the modifier go to 100 percent feedback. That might work? I need to try this…

I ran a quick test using this preset and I'm hearing degradation.

I started Logic Pro X recording a track, strummed a D chord then immediately clicked Hold after strumming. After a couple minutes I recorded another track, ran it back and there's a definite change in the highs.

Maybe I missed something in the settings but it seems simple enough to test.

Attachments

• echo degrade test.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
When I change the delay time

This is something different. Changing the time on a delay line will cause artifacts with the timing change, as with any delay device. Many have workarounds or alternate modes (like Helix) where the old timing repeats crossfade with the new timing repeats. Having that as an option on Axe Fx is a great wishlist item, but I think it’s unrelated to the topic of this thread.

This is possible now.

Example:
  • from the new (beta) Bank B, load the preset Pentalizer.
  • switch to scene 4 (Fuzzever).
  • turn down Drive in the Delay block (set to Mono Tape)
  • on the EQ page, turn down Low Cut to the lowest freq, and turn up High Cut to the highest freq
  • both Depth controls in the Delay block (modulation) are already set to 0
  • hit the strings
The trails will continue for a long time without degradation.
I tested this the same way and it degrades also.

This is something different. Changing the time on a delay line will cause artifacts with the timing change, as with any delay device. Many have workarounds or alternate modes (like Helix) where the old timing repeats crossfade with the new timing repeats. Having that as an option on Axe Fx is a great wishlist item, but I think it’s unrelated to the topic of this thread.
Kinda. Manually changing the delay time will cause artifacts in the delays. Using tap tempo only causes artifacts in the tape delays, the others will quietly switch to the new tempo without artifacts.

But the OP, and others have found that the digital delay hold degrades over time, losing highs when it shouldn't.

My Digitech PDS 8000 has no perceivable degradation when holding the sample and moving the delay time. Plus my Boss DD 1. These are old delays that when you press hold and move the delay time around it never changes the original sample. I know it’s a weird request

Since the current delays degrade over time when held, my wish would be to have a "simple delay" created that has no modulation or other parameters that cause the delay repeats to degrade when held for long periods of time.
Instead of this thread being tagged as a "Wish", I think it should be "Bug?" It appears that we can't avoid degradation even if the delay time stays constant and we should be able to.

Implemented for next release.

[EDIT] I should say that I have not implemented a simple delay. I have improved the Delay block so that the repeats do not degrade.
ok great!!! Thanks. Just curious, what was the reason for the degradation? because 'normal' digital delays don't have that.

ok great!!! Thanks. Just curious, what was the reason for the degradation? because 'normal' digital delays don't have that.
"normal" digital delays will do it if they're not at their default setting.

I can get rid of the degradation but it means that there will be no modulation when Hold is true. Modulation is the source of the degradation.
No, but it will be a lot longer. If you want infinite hold then I will have to completely disable modulation as well as a few other things when Hold is true.

"normal" digital delays will do it if they're not at their default setting.

That’s the whole point the Axe digital delay does (or did?) degrade with default setting. Even with no modulation or other degradation EQ settings.

Not sure if the delay with no degradation at all is implemented already?

That’s the whole point the Axe digital delay does (or did?) degrade with default setting. Even with no modulation or other degradation EQ settings.

Not sure if the delay with no degradation at all is implemented already?
It is. Check out the "EJ Clean" factory preset which can demonstrate it; playing with it yesterday I had a delay hold that ran for at least five minutes and didn't notice any problem. But, I think it's only on the FX3 and FM9. The FM3 doesn't have the horsepower to handle all the changes required to implement it.

As a tip: Hearing the degradation is tricky because our ears get tired and we think it's changing when it might not be. When we were trying to get Cliff to implement this, in the old firmware before the fix, I would start a delay, hit hold, then start recording in Logic Pro, wait about 5 minutes, then stop the recording. By cutting the first couple seconds and last few, then splicing them and hitting play, it was easy to prove there was degradation though people were saying there wasn't. After the fix the same technique showed no degradation.

Back
Top Bottom