Implemented "Simple Delay"

markyd

Inspired
Since the current delays degrade over time when held, my wish would be to have a "simple delay" created that has no modulation or other parameters that cause the delay repeats to degrade when held for long periods of time.

I dont foresee this happening, given you have the parameters to make this pretty quickly.

I don't foresee this happening, given you have the parameters to make this pretty quickly.
Try it. Make a long delay, press hold, and listen for a while. It will lose high end over time, and eventually turn into mush.
Ten Tap delay already exists and gives you control over repeat decay.
I am not talking about decay, I am talking about how the signal degrades when held. Cliff talked about this a little in this thread:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/why-is-the-reverb-input-mono.164798/
I can get rid of the degradation but it means that there will be no modulation when Hold is true. Modulation is the source of the degradation.

No, but it will be a lot longer. If you want infinite hold then I will have to completely disable modulation as well as a few other things when Hold is true.

here is some more info:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/reverb-hold-playback-volume-level.158049/#post-2065077
What I am wishing for is a delay type that has no modulation and "a few other things" disabled so that when the hold function is engaged, it will have infinite repeat with no degradation.

Last edited:
Another suggestion is an added option to disable modulation etc. when the hold button is engaged...

I've read the posts. Turn off the mod and adjust feedback and time to get the most out of the hold.

Or use the looper.

I want granular delay before I want a true hold delay, personally.

I've read the posts. Turn off the mod and adjust feedback and time to get the most out of the hold.

Or use the looper.

I want granular delay before I want a true hold delay, personally.
Turning off the mod helps, but it still degrades over the timeframe that I like to use.

Making ambient loops with a delay that is held is very different than using a looper. It is very organic to release the hold and layer new sounds as the old ones fade away slowly. Try it! It is a lot of fun.

I am wishing for a simple delay type because perhaps the coding required wouldn't be too much of a coding job.

It does seem like this request is "just" for a delay model with modulation and saturation/clipping/overdrive removed, or better yet, their minimum amounts allowed to go down to zero.

Not as much work as coding actual new stuff, but it still would mean new UI, data storage and retrieval code, documentation, and probably other stuff I'm not thinking of.

It does seem like this request is "just" for a delay model with modulation and saturation/clipping/overdrive removed, or better yet, their minimum amounts allowed to go down to zero.

Not as much work as coding actual new stuff, but it still would mean new UI, data storage and retrieval code, documentation, and probably other stuff I'm not thinking of.
What you are describing is the Digital Mono delay type. There is zero modulation, zero drive, zero bit reduction, and mostly zero filtering when recalling that Type (which is really just a parameter preset).

I don’t know about the degeneration issue described in this thread, but if you look closely at the EQ curve, the Low and High Cuts are always engaged - 20 Hz / 20 kHz. I wonder how much a difference it would make if those could be completely bypassed. Probably not much (if the solution was that easy it probably would already be there).

I am using the digital stereo delay type. I have tried everything to minimize the degradation, including the EQ curve. Cliff has to do some stuff "behind the scenes" to make it work as an infinite delay. Speaking of that, If the "simple delay" type is created, stereo please! :)

I am using the digital stereo delay type. I have tried everything to minimize the degradation, including the EQ curve. Cliff has to do some stuff "behind the scenes" to make it work as an infinite delay. Speaking of that, If the "simple delay" type is created, stereo please! :)
Not trying to be pedantic, but he specifically said Digital Mono ;)

I seem to recall Cliff or Matt mentioning that somewhere before, top.

Not trying to be pedantic, but he specifically said Digital Mono ;)

I seem to recall Cliff or Matt mentioning that somewhere before, top.
The Digital Mono type still has all the modulation and the other stuff that causes degradation when held... ;)

This is possible now.

Example:
  • from the new (beta) Bank B, load the preset Pentalizer.
  • switch to scene 4 (Fuzzever).
  • turn down Drive in the Delay block (set to Mono Tape)
  • on the EQ page, turn down Low Cut to the lowest freq, and turn up High Cut to the highest freq
  • both Depth controls in the Delay block (modulation) are already set to 0
  • hit the strings
The trails will continue for a long time without degradation.

Yek! Thanks for looking into this.
I followed your directions exactly, and it definitely still degrades! You can hear it lose high end within about 15 seconds, it really loses high end after a minute or two, and after 5 minutes, it is just about mush. The way I have always use a held delay is to have a clean tone with a long delay that creates a ambient pad that I fade in an out of a composition that can last several minutes. I really need the held delay to be just as pristine at the end of the composition as it is at the beginning.

If you use the Digital Mono or Digital Stereo types you shouldn't get any degradation as long as you don't change the EQ and Modulation from the default values.

Hi. I’ve been trying to do the same thing and requested this a couple years ago. When I change the delay time it degrades and disappears on the Axe Fx 3. On all my digital delays I’ve used, this is never the case. I’ve been trying to do this again as it’s a major aspect of what I do live. I’ve actually had to switch to using my Helix live because of this unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom