Simple 2 or 3 Button Midi Controller. Which one?

I use one under my FM9.

Temple Audio power to drive the PP2, then power the FM9 from the "courtesy" outlet on the PP2. And then I power my AudioFront Expression IO from a DC jack on the PP2.
I used to use one too when I had my FM3 board. I've got one of those Mission rechargeable power supplies I might use instead to power the Morningstar but it makes sense to power it all from the wall just in case. I'll probably forget to charge the Mission up before a gig knowing me lol.

I've got a midi baby 3 and a dmc.micro from disaster area. I'm currently using the dmc.micro with one screen setup for tap/tuner/volume block on the FM9 and one that chooses presets on my panda audio future impact. I power both of them off the FASLINK port with a 12v to 9v converter

For just extra switches I'd go for the midi baby, it only has one config but each button is incredibly flexible. You can assign to press/hold/long hold on each button, and each assignment can have up to 16 midi commands attached. The dmc.micro is a little less flexible on each button (press on the right and press/hold on the left) but can have 2 fully custom configurations and 5 pages of PC scrolling setup.

MC3 turned up yesterday. Managed to get it setup last night after watching a couple of vids on YouTube,

Work's great! What a nice little midi controller. Really easy to program. Just had to order a flat right angled midi cable as I didn't have one. The morningstar one was hitting the handle on my temple board which I could probably remove if I wanted but I've ordered a Rockboard one anyway.

Also bought some foot switch toppers, went with some Barefoot buttons in the end as they are the only ones I can find that fit over here in the UK. They weren't cheap bloody hell lol. Mooer ones don't fit unfortunately they are too small.

Just gotta sort the power supply now which I'm collecting on Monday. Rehearsing in the evening though so I won't get a chance to install it but I'm happy to say the board is nearly finished.

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone appreciate it!

Last edited:
I've unfortunately had an issue with the Rockboard flat midi cables. One end when it plugs into the FM9 will stop me plugging into the USB connector and if I swap the ends I can't plug into the power jack on the Morningstar.

Have you guys used the 3.5mm TRS midi out jacks on the MC3? Do they work the same way as the normal 5 pin midi out? I just want to check before I go and buy a midi cable adapter and a midi cable from Morningstar.

I've unfortunately had an issue with the Rockboard flat midi cables. One end when it plugs into the FM9 will stop me plugging into the USB connector and if I swap the ends I can't plug into the power jack on the Morningstar.

Have you guys used the 3.5mm TRS midi out jacks on the MC3? Do they work the same way as the normal 5 pin midi out? I just want to check before I go and buy a midi cable adapter and a midi cable from Morningstar.
Do you really need a flat cable? I use a right angle cable that allows you to rotate the alignment of the pins in the connector. That way you can make sure not to block other jacks.

Do you really need a flat cable? I use a right angle cable that allows you to rotate the alignment of the pins in the connector. That way you can make sure not to block other jacks.
Unfortunately yes because I’m using it vertically not horizontally and anything bigger than 10mm which is the height of the flat cables won’t fit where the temple audio handle is.

I could just take the handle off I suppose but it would be a bit of pain when picking up the board.

I thought using the TRS midi outs on the MC3 would be the better option then I can just use a regular midi cable from the midi adaptor to the FM9. I’m assuming they work the same way as the 5 pin midi out.

Unfortunately yes because I’m using it vertically not horizontally and anything bigger than 10mm which is the height of the flat cables won’t fit where the temple audio handle is.

I could just take the handle off I suppose but it would be a bit of pain when picking up the board.

I thought using the TRS midi outs on the MC3 would be the better option then I can just use a regular midi cable from the midi adaptor to the FM9. I’m assuming they work the same way as the 5 pin midi out.
Oh yeah. I think those TRS midi ports work exactly the same way so that might work better for you.

Oh yeah. I think those TRS midi ports work exactly the same way so that might work better for you.
Yeah I thought so as its just a 3.5mm connector and then I can run the midi cable underneath my temple board!

Thanks for the recommendation on the midi cable I'll have to check those out! They make the Midi adapter as well! Have already ordered the Morningstar one but its good to know they do them as well.

Also bought some foot switch toppers, went with some Barefoot buttons in the end as they are the only ones I can find that fit over here in the UK. They weren't cheap bloody hell lol. Mooer ones don't fit unfortunately they are too small.
Did you order the Barefoot Big Bore version of the V1 toppers? The standard V1 doesn't fit the MC3 and the switches they changed to a couple of years ago.

Also, wondering about Pedal input 3 not taking dual pedals. Is that correct? I am having trouble finding a reference to it.

You'll enjoy the MC3. Very powerful piece of midi kit! :)

Cheers

Did you order the Barefoot Big Bore version of the V1 toppers? The standard V1 doesn't fit the MC3 and the switches they changed to a couple of years ago.

Also, wondering about Pedal input 3 not taking dual pedals. Is that correct? I am having trouble finding a reference to it.

You'll enjoy the MC3. Very powerful piece of midi kit! :)

Cheers
I did order the big bore V1’s! I was told they fit the MC3 by the distributor over here in the UK. I did measure the foot switches too and they say it’s up to 11.1mm on the Barefoot website. Which is what MC3 footswitches measure.

I’ll have to wait for them to turn up before I can try them. If they don’t fit I’ll send them back!

That is correct with the pedal inputs on the FM9, dual footswitches won’t work. If you plug one in, only one foot switch will work.

I did order the big bore V1’s! I was told they fit the MC3 by the distributor over here in the UK. I did measure the foot switches too and they say it’s up to 11.1mm on the Barefoot website. Which is what MC3 footswitches measure.

I’ll have to wait for them to turn up before I can try them. If they don’t fit I’ll send them back!

That is correct with the pedal inputs on the FM9, dual footswitches won’t work. If you plug one in, only one foot switch will work.

You should be good with the big bores.

WTF! None of the pedal inputs on the FM9 take dual switches when the FM3 inputs do? I just don't get that. Totally screws up my plans for my FM9 pedalboard. Back to the drawing board.

WTF! None of the pedal inputs on the FM9 take dual switches when the FM3 inputs do? I just don't get that. Totally screws up my plans for my FM9 pedalboard. Back to the drawing board.
Yeah I know I thought the same. That's why I went with the Morningstar MC3 to control preset up and down and the tuner, which is what I would have used the mosky dual switches for. I still have one pedal input on the FM9 free so I can use that for an extra exp pedal if I ever need too.

Still waiting for my Barefoot buttons and midi adapter to turn up. Postal strike again today and tomorrow over here in the UK so I'll doubt I'll get anything this week. I've got a gig over the weekend too!

That question has been raised and no real reason ever provided.

It's a head scratcher...

On the flip side, you can get an AudioFront Expression IO like a few of us have. Up to 4 external pedals or 8 external switches via midi.

Yeah I know I thought the same. That's why I went with the Morningstar MC3 to control preset up and down and the tuner, which is what I would have used the mosky dual switches for. I still have one pedal input on the FM9 free so I can use that for an extra exp pedal if I ever need too.

I have an MC3 too but using it in another setup, so that is an option, but will require regulalry swapping it out. Luck with the gig! :)

That question has been raised and no real reason ever provided.

It's a head scratcher...

On the flip side, you can get an AudioFront Expression IO like a few of us have. Up to 4 external pedals or 8 external switches via midi.

I suppose it makes some sense given only three buttons on the FM3. But, a bit disappointing. Will check out the AudioFront as my main task for today. :) Thanks unix-guy.

Back
Top Bottom