SIM-1 Guitar Tone Imprinting works great

That is good to know. I was waiting for some review.
Does it have background noise when you add gain?

99 presets for 3 amp models at 500 euros? No.
In this case , you are really paying for the seemingly innovative guitar/pup modeling IMO, which If you use Mr Quayle’s Video and touts as judge , sounds pretty good, and Mr. zappafranco is obviously a person of great taste and obsession.;er...discretion..... Yeah, not cheap...but ...........

I don't want to sell this product to you USMC_Trev, but allow me to say that the main thing are the pickup models not the amp models!
Maybe this article might be interesting for you:https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/sim1-xt-1
I have only posted this because I would be interesting to know if other Fractal Users are also using the SIM-1 XT-1.

@Piing: I am not an expert so I don't want to give an "official answer" with regard to the background noise. Let me just say that I personally don't hear any disturbing noise when I am playing with it. And if it's noisy than less noisy than a lot of analog pedals like for example a fuzz pedal.

Fractal users are used to replace hundreds of amps with one single black box which is full of witchcraft.
This thing can replace hundreds of guitars. I have only fooled around with it for two days. I can not promise that you can faithfully emulate a Strat on a Gibson Guitar with this thing. But for what I need it gives my enough Humbucker sound while I am playing my Strat and I get better Strat Tones which seem to be more crisp.

I see at their web that they have models of Acoustic and Nylon guitars. That is interesting. I am using the Boss SY-1000 mainly to emulate these guitars (and some crazy stuff). If the quality is equal or better than the SY-1000, maybe I would consider replacing it with the XT-1, and get rid of the hex-pickup.

Selling the SY-1000 I could get the XT-1, and a Poly Beebo for the crazy stuff

Last edited:
It's a really interesting idea. I'd love to get more of a PAF type tone on demand from my Jazzmaster, but from the demo I watched it didn't seem substantially different from EQ changes. Does it 'feel' different when you're playing?

The XT-1 user manual says that "Sim1 Sound Imprinting" is a guitar profiling system.

First you have to apply the "Learning Procedure" to your guitar (source guitar) by playing an ascending chromatic scale of 32 notes from E (6th open string). 6 notes per string. 2 seconds per note.

XT-1 Learning Procedure.png

The XT-1 will then model the different profiles around your source guitar. It also offers the possibility to profile your guitars and share them with the user's community.

I am wondering if the XT-1 technology is any different from the Axe-FX Tone Match. I don't think so 🤓

We used to match pickups with the Axe-FX. We even created a collection. But when we did the tone matching we played random chords and notes. Perhaps the secret of a good guitar/pickup tonematch is to play as they indicate, for both the source and the tonematched guitars

We should try it again, following this procedure. I'll start tomorrow with my guitars

Last edited:
I am wondering if the XT-1 technology is any different from the Axe-FX Tone Match. I don't think so 🤓

We used to match pickups with the Axe-FX. We even created a collection. But when we did the tone matching we played random chords and notes. Perhaps the secret of a good guitar/pickup tonematch is to play as they indicate, for both the source and the tonematched guitars

We should try it again, following this procedure. I'll start tomorrow with my guitars

I wonder what their voodoo is as well. Would be interesting to compare vs. the Axe-Fx. Keep us posted!

Something like this would be great for acoustic sim....but listening to the clips on YouTube, the acoustic sims have a weird phasey sound.
Not good enough acoustic sim to make me want to spend $700.

I wonder what their voodoo is as well. Would be interesting to compare vs. the Axe-Fx. Keep us posted!

It works! :D :D I am faithfully reproducing a P90 (Harmonic Design Z90 neck on a Schecter C-1) playing with a Stratocaster
There are some tricks. I will open a new thread with all the details and I will share my guitar "profiles"
Now I am going to try with a nylon guitar

@Hidetox: OK, that's good to know. As I have said I have fallen in love again with my Strat since I have this tiny box.:) Until now I was to lazy to record my Kiesel Headless to see if it can reproduce faithful Strat Tones with the help of the XT-1. And I still have to record the Bridge and the Middle Position of my Strat. But with only the Neck Position as Source Guitar you already get nice results and I can especially recommend the Jeff Beck Stratocaster as a Target Guitar (you have to buy this profile) because this is one of the few Target Guitars that has all five pickup positions. The most Target Guitars have only Neck, Middle and Bridge.

Back
Top Bottom