Silver Jubilee - Noise and hum

deleted

Inspired
Hello,
I've recently purchased a Marshall 2555X Silver Jubilee.
It sounds really great but only with just a guitar plugged in.
I want to use the Axe only for effects together with this amp. Therefore I've tried to connect them with 4CM.
I've set things like Input 2, Boost/Pad as explained in the manual or wiki. But unfortunately I get so much hum and noise, that it's not playable on a band volume level. Also I've tried to connect Out2 with a TRS jack but it doesn't help.
I've tried to connect Out 1 to the Amp Input only, without using the FX Loop of the amp but also in this case it sounds terrible. To get the noise down I played with a Gate but that's no solution for me, as it robs too much dynamic.

I'm using a 1.Generation Axe Fx. The one with loud fan.

I've read in a review that Marshall placed the FX Loop before the EQ section. Therefore effects could start to distort on higher volume levels. Don't know if it's correct. As far as I know this would be a pretty unusual layout compared to other amps. But I don't belive that this is the reason of my problem.

Sorry, if the spelling isn't good but this isn't my first language and I'm in a hurry. :)

Thanks for your help! :)

This may be too obvious....but you have made sure amps/cabs are turned off in whichever preset you're routing through your amp?

Last edited:
Amp/cab Blocks weren't in the preset.

Standard TRS, no Humbuster. What's the difference again?
Do they really help that much?
I have to decide, if I'll keep the Amp or not within the next days.

Anyone knows, where to buy in Europe?

Amp/cab Blocks weren't in the preset.

Standard TRS, no Humbuster. What's the difference again?
Do they really help that much?
I have to decide, if I'll keep the Amp or not within the next days.

Anyone knows, where to buy in Europe?
yes they help a lot, more so on later models than yours, but using a dual TRS will worsen things. A humbuster is TRS on the AXFX outs andTS on the Jubilee ins.

Id check G66, they prolly carry them

Sorry, I made a mistake.
I used a TRS jack on Out2 and a TS Jack on the Amp. The same on In 2 or Out1. Not sure at the moment. This is a splitted cable with two TS jacks. Still not the same as Humbuster?
The other cables are Standard TS cables.

Sorry, I made a mistake.
I used a TRS jack on Out2 and a TS Jack on the Amp. The same on In 2 or Out1. Not sure at the moment. This is a splitted cable with two TS jacks. Still not the same as Humbuster?
The other cables are Standard TS cables.
DONT use that cable!!!!!! must be the source of your problem. get or make proper Humbusters.

Split cable? Stereo TRS to dual mono TS? If so a) that's not the right cable and b) could very easily be a source of a lot of noise.

I that is the case what is the second TS doing? Hanging free?

Is the axe and amp plugged into the same outlet? Same circuit? Try switching the power source with the axe straight into the front of the amp (not 4cm) and see if the noise goes away

I did try using another outlet, which normally should be another circuit as well, but same result. I'm going to try this again with another outlet from another room.

Ground Lift switch makes no sense in this case, does it?

Its not the cable. 1st Gen AFX2's are known to be very noisy in 4CM. Mine is really bad as well - but I dont use it often that way so Im not fussed.

G66 will do the "second Gen" Mod to your AFX which will solve the issue - but you'll need to ship it back to them - its not something you can do yourself.

Im going to do the same at some point, but its not critical so will wait for a suitable time.

Its not the cable. 1st Gen AFX2's are known to be very noisy in 4CM. Mine is really bad as well - but I dont use it often that way so Im not fussed.

G66 will do the "second Gen" Mod to your AFX which will solve the issue - but you'll need to ship it back to them - its not something you can do yourself.

Im going to do the same at some point, but its not critical so will wait for a suitable time.

I've contacted them, to see what they think. Thank you.
Do you know more about this problem?

I did ship it back and they did the mod but unfortunately it doesn't help in my case. Now I have to ship the amp back as I'm at the end of the money back time. :(

Back
Top Bottom