Silver Jubilee model.

Raab90

Inspired
Hello!

I've always fantasized bout the Marshall 2555 (the Silver Jubilee).
I would listen to youtube demos of the amp and it just roared. So back then when I used my POD X3, one day I messed around with the 2555 model, and it sounded nothing like what I'd heard from youtube. Wasn't usable at all IMO also. Line 6 models weren't exact replicas, but they were highly similar in most cases, so this threw me off a bit.
I did my hw and digged around to get some info on how the amp works.
Turns out the amp is quite peculiar beacause of the mixed channels and double power amp gain stage, so Line 6 probably had rough time trying to model the lead channel and went for the clean channel, which is not exactly what this amp is known for (Videos were all lead too). It has a push-pull knob for some solidstate distortion.

The other day I hooked up the Axe, and while checking some amps I came across the 2555 model. I was excited, cos knowing how close the AXE gets to the other models I though this was it. I tried it, and I thought there was something missing, like a few knobs at the basic page. That same day I got to play a real one and dang. They are loud. But what impressed me is that it had more knobs that a regular JCM800. It had the clipping push-pull too.
The cool stuff about it, is that it had 3 master volumes and one shared preamp gain. There was a Rythm master, a Lead master and an Output master (A shared master for both channels) and the input gain. This means 3 gain stages per channel.
Clean channel was okay but the lead channel was awesome. I gotta add that the grit knob didn't do much for the lead channel, just added some slightly noticeable grit.
Thing is, while on the lead channel, the roar came out from cranking all 3 stages. The Output master, the Lead master, and preamp gain. Messing around with both masters made it brighter or darker depending on the one being cranked. However the thing is, if only one of them wasn't at least past 5, the amp would lose the roar stuff.

When I got home I started up the Axe again and noticed there was only 2 gain controls available in the model out of the 3 involved in each channel of the real amp. These are, one Master (don't know which one of the two), and one input gain. No overdrive knob, which while on my way home I was expecting it to emulate the missing master. Indeed there was something missing in the model!
I checked the amp list wiki to see which Master volume was the model's based upon. But it says nothing about the channel modeled, original and modeled knobs and stuff, just this:

"Based on: Marshall Silver Jubilee (model 2555), a distinctive commemorative “25/50” anniversary 100W British amp model, slightly darker and higher gain than a JCM800. 100w, 1 input, EL34
Notes: see Brit 800
Joe Bonamassa settings"

Looking around over the forums I read the model was made after the dirty channel, which is kinda obvious once you get the play the real amp.

So my question is as follows:

1) Which Master stage of the real amp was the model's based on? Lead Master or Output Master?
2) Regarding the model, was the clipping stage engaged or not?

It would be nice if someone could answer this to me, and then update the wiki with this info since what's available as of now isn't very detailed.

Thanks.

Last edited:
it's been a while since I played a real one, but does the "extra" Master really make a tonal difference and isn't it only available on the real amp to get a better volume balance between the channels ? that would be similar to a 5150 III which has output volume for each of the three channels plus an "overall" Master.

The best patch I have ever made on The Axe was made this week.

Two amps: The JCM 800 (kinda clean) The Silver Jubilee (dirty). Both go into reverb. The reverb then goes into two cabs. Equal parts The Amp Factory Marshall 1X12 Edge and Cone.

Sounds great through my Les Paul, Strat and Tele.

If I kick in a Rat or the BB Pre the thing roars, but with the same voice.

I call this preset "Marshall Factory". I believe those TAF 1 X 12, especially the Marshall, are worth checking out.

Back when I had an Ultra, I really flirted with getting a Swart Atomic. And still do. My next project is buy a TAF 1 X 12 for the Swart and check that out.

Channel Masters are in series with the main Master, it does NOT mean three gain stages. Study the schematic and it will become clear.

A Channel Master simply reduces the Master Volume for that channel. If the Master Volume is, say, 6.0 and the Channel Master is 10, the equivalent Master Volume is 6.0. You go down from there.

It's simply a way to balance the volumes of each channel. The Axe-Fx doesn't need Channel Masters since each model is one channel.

As for 'grit' and 'overdrive' knobs, I have no idea what those are as they don't exist on my 2550 or 2555.

Yeah I thought there was a difference between using both masters, but it's probably due to the way they are connected. Maybe a capacitor or something, which could be easily emulated by the use of the MV Capacitor parameter on the Axe. Probably even was my imagination, as at those volumes sound perception tends to be very subjective.

As for 'grit' and 'overdrive' knobs, I have no idea what those are as they don't exist on my 2550 or 2555.

Thanks Cliff! I get it now.
By the overdrive knob I meant the one on Axe Edit, that I thought it could be emulating the other master. But it's not there cos it's not necesary according to what u said.

And by the grit knob, I meant the Input Gain (I think it's called like that, can't remember) knob on the 2555. It's push-pull. When pulled, it engages a solid state gain stage.

Back
Top Bottom