Wish Silent on and off

AFAIK, there's a certain common sense hygiene to powering things on and off.
I would still use that even if my device used other tech or solutions to prevent pops.
From the Matrix site, for example, ...
What order of powering up should I follow?
So in general when switching on, the amp should be last in the chain. So preamp or modeller first and any effects, etc., and then the amp. You may still hear a pop as the amp powers up (when connected to a speaker) but this will be less than the sound of your connected stuff switching on if the amp was on first. When powering down, amp first then connected stuff to avoid the above in reverse. ON-Amp last… OFF-Amp first. A small thump or pop is normal and should not damage your speakers in any way.
http://usa.matrixamplification.com/faq/technical-product-guides.html

OTOH, I too thought there are solutions to this, but maybe they are not the best in the long run? (like an electrolytical cap that could wear out or start displaying its own issues, etc.)

I would be surprised if it can be fixed in the code, although I don't entirely exclude it.

If turning the volume down indeed solves it, that's already pretty great. Not every device has that, I think.

AFAIK, there's a certain common sense hygiene to powering things on and off.
I would still use that even if my device used other tech or solutions to prevent pops.
From the Matrix site, for example, ...

http://usa.matrixamplification.com/faq/technical-product-guides.html

OTOH, I too thought there are solutions to this, but maybe they are not the best in the long run? (like an electrolytical cap that could wear out or start displaying its own issues, etc.)

I would be surprised if it can be fixed in the code, although I don't entirely exclude it.

If turning the volume down indeed solves it, that's already pretty great. Not every device has that, I think.
I just tried it with my FM9 & I can confirm that turning down the volume before powering down stops the popping sound. My FM9 doesn't make a pop when it powers on so maybe that's only an FM3 issue.

If you buy the more expensive Axe III it has this feature, the less expensive fm3 doesn’t….. seems reasonable for the higher end gear to do things their “entry level” one doesn’t, no ?

I can't understand why people turn their monitors/speakers on before turning everything else on. Monitors last on, first off, has always been the standard practice. It's as basic as turning an amp down or muting the channel on a mixer before unplugging a guitar.
That's true, but sometimes you get a bad sound guy at the gig & he leaves the volume on. POP! lol! That used to happen to me all the time when I was running my Triple Recto. As soon as I switched the channel for the first time it sounded like the PA speakers were going to explode. :laughing:

That's true, but sometimes you get a bad sound guy at the gig & he leaves the volume on. POP! lol! That used to happen to me all the time when I was running my Triple Recto. As soon as I switched the channel for the first time it sounded like the PA speakers were going to explode. :laughing:
Yup. Same issue with the Mesa Roadster I had. Got in the habit of cycling through the channels after powering up with the volume low, then setting the volume where it needed to be.

Yup. Same issue with the Mesa Roadster I had. Got in the habit of cycling through the channels after powering up with the volume low, then setting the volume where it needed to be.
Yeah, I heard it's static that builds up in the relay of the amp. I found a post on a guitar forum with a trick that worked for me. If anybody is interested...

Power on the amp, leave standby on, cycle the channels on the footswitch 3 times in this order: 1,2,3,1,2, turn standby off & Rock out! lol!

Anyway, you guys with the FM3's let us know if turning the volume down works for you. I'd be interested in knowing. 🤘

Dudes, I ALWAYS turn down speakers to avoid this (or mute channel in the mixer). But Pod Go cost 400€ and it's silent when you power on and off...
If you buy the more expensive Axe III it has this feature, the less expensive fm3 doesn’t….. seems reasonable for the higher end gear to do things their “entry level” one doesn’t, no ?
I had an Ultra, MkII and now the FM3, and don't feel the FM3 is an "entry level" product. I use it as a professional gear, with a professional cost. And this is a very annoying bug.

Just turn the volume on the FM3 down when you turn it on & off. Simple.
Don't works... It's not a volume problem.

To be fair, you cannot always control the counterpart (going direct/FOH for example).
I also would appreciate a silent turn on/off - most of the times, I have my headphone on my head before I turn everything on ..
Nothing super serious, but if the FM9 and III don't have this problem, why the FM3? ...

Don't works... It's not a volume problem.
Doesn't work for me either. I have headphones connected to OUT1 and monitors to OUT2 via interface (have reasons to do like this).
The "pop" is always coming from headphones, and the OUT1 knob is always off.

I am not sure this is a driver/software issue, it is not loaded yet on the start. But my LG TV shows black screen for a sec when I power on FM3. They are not even in the same outlet btw :)

Back
Top Bottom