Silent/kill switch on AX8

SEKKEN

Inspired
Hello, i've been trying to find a workaround for this but i could not find a solution: i'd like to assign a silent / kill switch to any of the bottons on the AX8. I've tried to assign a modifier to bypass the amp block and it does work but it's not as fast as i'd needs it to be (the momentary / latching / toggle options are missing in this option).

In a previous configuration of my board, i had a Boss FS6 dedicated to this and it worked great. But the FS6 goes into one of the ext pedal and that allows to set the momentary / latching / toggle switch depending on your needs.

The FS6 is no longer on my board and i'm having a hard time to find a way to implement this funcion in my Ax8 rig... any creative solutions please? thank you all in advance!

There are a million ways to do this. Pretty much any block has a output volume dial that a modifier can be connected to, e.g. a control switch.

Fine but the buttons on ax8 only work as on / off function, I could not find a way to implement monetary / latching functions to these buttons. I need to implement a kill switch with that works as press and hold or press and release function..not just on off. Can you please elaborate a bit more on how to obtain this ?

That would be great. Doesn't it allow to assigned momentary / latching functions to ext pedals only? If so I definitely need to look at it better as soon as I have my ax8 in front of me.

Thank you, i forgot about that possibility. Thank you so much for your input!
What parameter would you suggest to attach the modifier to, in order to obtain this "staccato" / "kill switch" effect? Would you attach it to the amp block bypass or, say, to a volume block? I saw someone also gets this effect using an hardly tweaked tremolo but i cannot figure out how to get this.

I'll try the latching / momentary options on the ax8 buttons and report back but i'd appreciate any further suggestions. thanks!

Couldn’t you use the tuner on mute as an easy kill switch?

Nope... I need it to react way faster then that: the simple on / off function doesnt do the trick for me: i'm looking for something that reacts like a press and hold so that i mute the sound by pressing a switch and unmute as soon as that switch is depressed.

Sorry for the poor english and description!

disclaimer: the video and comments belowwere taken from a kpa forum, no offense :)

Check this video, the kill switch they do at 0.26 and then again at around 02:12- Was wondering if anyone knew a good way to reproduce this effect?

If you have a guitar with two different volume knobs for the different pickups, you could just turn one off and toggle between the pickups with the selector switch.

-------

I used to this with my previous guitar (les paul). my new guitar does not offer this possibility (whcih is a PITA) so i'm trying to replecate this effect with the AX8 with no success so far. And i dont want to drill my guitar to add a phisical kill switch on it.

Nope... I need it to react way faster then that: the simple on / off function doesnt do the trick for me: i'm looking for something that reacts like a press and hold so that i mute the sound by pressing a switch and unmute as soon as that switch is depressed.

Sorry for the poor english and description!
Ah, I gotcha.

Get a simple $5 keyboard sustain pedal, which is essentially a momentary switch, and plug it into the AX8, program it so it controls a volume block or level parameter, step on the pedal, its 127 which equals full volume, step off, its 0 which equals no volume, or inverse it depending on how you want the pedal to work.

You can also assign things like a bit of a dampening control if you want a slight lag on the changes and lots of other control options.

I "splurged" and got the more deluxe sustain pedal that looks like an actual piano pedal myself lol.

There are also lots of external foot switch style switches that are momentary as well, probably for like $20 or so, but then you need a TRS cable etc

Cheap M-Audio sustain pedal comes with a cord and as I said, costs like $5 or less.

I was at Guitar Center once and they had a bit of clearance items in the studio section, they had a bunch of different brands and they were $0.99 each!

Yes, that would probably the best way to achieve what i want. I used to do that with a boss FS6 but i'm aiming to achive this with the AX8 without external pedals (no room in my pedalboard not even for an FS5)...

Thank you for chiming in. :)

This, I think, is referred to as a stutter effect. You might want to try a trem block with a very deep cut and see if it does it for you. Then you just hit that effect block on, and it's doing the stutter for you (could be based on tempo) and you don't have to jig you leg like Elvis. :)

I think might really do the job! Still I'd prefer to control this fx with some more flexibility, this way it will work on a tempo basis which is not ideal. But great tip mate, I'll give it a try!

Tried it with the tremolo block. Looks like the tremolo frequency needs to be higher than 20 Hz so I used a volume block and attached a 30Hz square wave LFO to it and played around with the LFO duty cycle. The original sound has probably an even higher modulation frequency but I don't know of any way to do that with the AX8. Still, the result might be close enough for you.

Attachments

• Stutter.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 11
On the footswitch page you can set every button to momentary or latching mode

Edit: I'm talking about using AX8-Edit to do this.

Page 35 of the AX8 manual :

View attachment 46297

I'm now trying this option and works great! I think I'll stick to this..it was that simple! Thank you!

And thanks a lot for sharing your block. I'm not sure how to load it in my ax8 but I ll try right now. Thank you again!

I'm now trying this option and works great! I think I'll stick to this..it was that simple! Thank you!

And thanks a lot for sharing your block. I'm not sure how to load it in my ax8 but I ll try right now. Thank you again!

Download the file to your PC. In AX8 Edit use the Preset->Import preset function to load it into an empty preset slot.

This morning I set up a volume block with a modifier controlled by the sequencer. You could probably set up another modifier to control the sequencer to get some really messed up stutter going if you wanted to.

Download the file to your PC. In AX8 Edit use the Preset->Import preset function to load it into an empty preset slot.

Yes, it worked... thank you so much for crafting this preset for my needs. Also, thank you for reminding how to import the block. I imported your preset and saved the volume block. Then imported that volume block into my preset... it worked nicely but for my use, i'm more comfortable with the momentary setting on the amp block. I had to set the amp block as one of the 8 switches on the ax8 so that i can control it with my feet. Your imput and tips really helped a lot. thank you @ChristThePhone !

This morning I set up a volume block with a modifier controlled by the sequencer. You could probably set up another modifier to control the sequencer to get some really messed up stutter going if you wanted to.

I think this might be interesting too. I'll give it a try.. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom