Silence!

Phostenix

Power User
Researchers find that you can't handle the silence.

"What they've found is that when all outside noise is removed from an enclosure, human hearing will do its best to find something to listen to. In a room where almost 100% of sound is muted, people begin to hear things like their own heartbeat at a greatly amplified volume. As the minute tick by in absolute quiet, the human mind begins to lose its grip, causing test subjects to hallucinate."

Full article:
Quietest place on Earth mutes all sounds, messes with your head | Tecca

It's a phenomenon called sensory deprivation, and has been known and studied for decades. IIRC gov't agencies like the CIA experimented with it as a way to question, control, and brainwash the enemy. The idea being that if you deprive the brain of all sensory input it rather quickly becomes confused and is more readily subject to control & manipulation. It's even been used as subject matter in a couple of movies/TV shows.

COMPLIANCE!

sound_compliance_warning_59352_11.jpg

Yeah, I remember reading about this anechoic chamber a couple of years back. Intriguing that NOBODY has made it to an hour, sitting in that chamber! Most people apparently freak out after about 15 to 20 minutes, and the person that made it to 45 minutes was a one off apparently.

Makes me think of that car commercial where everybody is doing things quietly... like the frontman who whispers "are you ready to rock" at an arena gig...

Researchers find that you can't handle the silence.

"What they've found is that when all outside noise is removed from an enclosure, human hearing will do its best to find something to listen to. In a room where almost 100% of sound is muted, people begin to hear things like their own heartbeat at a greatly amplified volume. As the minute tick by in absolute quiet, the human mind begins to lose its grip, causing test subjects to hallucinate."

Full article:
Quietest place on Earth mutes all sounds, messes with your head | Tecca
I wonder if you can hear a fly take a dump in there?

No, but gnats have been known to have surprisingly loud flatulence.
sometimes I wonder if we are destined to survive as a species when we are busy making all this technology to hear gnats and flies defecate. The real discoveries that move mankind forward seem to happen by accident. Like after realizing that the same microphone used to hear a gnat fart can be used to detect an anomaly in the heart type of things. Then again, I wonder if gnats get indigestion?

Yeah, I remember reading about this anechoic chamber a couple of years back. Intriguing that NOBODY has made it to an hour, sitting in that chamber! Most people apparently freak out after about 15 to 20 minutes, and the person that made it to 45 minutes was a one off apparently.

Now I want to try it

sometimes I wonder if we are destined to survive as a species when we are busy making all this technology to hear gnats and flies defecate. The real discoveries that move mankind forward seem to happen by accident. Like after realizing that the same microphone used to hear a gnat fart can be used to detect an anomaly in the heart type of things. Then again, I wonder if gnats get indigestion?

What-ever about the heart anomaly. That gnatt fart mic turns out to be perfect for tone matching with 6.0

I can't sleep without a noise source. A fan is usually what I use (pointed at the ground in the winter), but a radio tuned in between stations works, or a looped pink noise file on my computer shaped with an EQ to boost the mids and cut the top end. Otherwise I hear so many little noises at night I get paranoid and can't sleep :shock:shock:shock:shock:shock

I was in an anechoic chamber briefly when I worked at Honewell. The absolute silence that engulfs you when the door closes behind you is something you can almost feel. It's as if there's a pressure to it. Very weird. The sound of your own breathing fills the space.

it makes sense that you could feel it. Sound is just pressure waves. So dead silence means the air is incredibly still.

Back
Top Bottom