Silence between scene switching/channel switching

Nice to see all the discussion. Had a band rehearsal tonight and the changes between scenes is extremely noticeable...Tomorrow I'll record and measure the time between signal, but maybe being a new user I am doing something wrong or just pushing it too hard.

Also while the bass sounded great, it was regularly intermittently cutting in and out in a digital manner through the 4 Output..Not seeing these problems on the meters.. I tried changing cables, and mixer channels but no change.

Guessing maybe at 80%-88% of processor, the AxeFXIII may be struggling. Not sure.

Again I have 3 signal paths. I'll take a photo tomorrow but its basically the following.

2 guitar and 1 bass signal chains with scenes using variations of the following

IN1-GATE-COMP-PITCH-WAH-DRIVE-AMP-CAB-PEQREVERB-DELAY-OUT1

IN3-GATE-COMP-PITCH-WAH-DRIVE-AMP-CAB-PEQ-REVERB-DELAY-OUT2

IN4-COMP-DRIVE-PEQ(left)----OUT4
\--------------------PEQ(right)-/

Thanks for any help or thoughts guys. Not meaning to be a pain in the ass. The thing sounds great, and if I can get the changes smooth, and the other bugs out, it's gonna be awesome..

So, I just came up on this issue as of yesterday, due to the fact that I am fine tuning my presets for this summers shows. I had virtually zero gap between my scenes until yesterday when I did this.........

On my 2 I used scene controllers for gain settings on my amp blocks (I use 2 panned hard left and right), and on my delay block for the mix modifier. So in Axe Edit I clicked on controllers and oops, not implemented yet. So stupid me didnt wanna try to figure out scene controllers on the front panel of the Axe3, so I said....... Hey, I know, I'll use channels! What was I thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!:oops: So, I set channel A on the amp block gain at 3, Channel B at 4, Channel C at 5, and channel D at 6. I did it with both blocks. Then I did the same with the delay, with 4, 8, 12 and 16 percent in the mix with channels A-D. So thats 3 blocks changing channels with EVERY scene change..........

BIG MISTAKE...... Now I have time to grab a snack between scenes...... ugh.......:(

SOOOO, at some point in the next 24 I am going to have to rework all my presets, making channel A the default channel in the 3 blocks in question. Then I will need to go to the front panel and go thru the time of working out those settings using scene controllers..... Boy did I screw that up:eek:

Note to self, don't try to cut corners when creating the perfect preset. Do it right the first time!!!!!!!

So, I just came up on this issue as of yesterday, due to the fact that I am fine tuning my presets for this summers shows. I had virtually zero gap between my scenes until yesterday when I did this.........

On my 2 I used scene controllers for gain settings on my amp blocks (I use 2 panned hard left and right), and on my delay block for the mix modifier. So in Axe Edit I clicked on controllers and oops, not implemented yet. So stupid me didnt wanna try to figure out scene controllers on the front panel of the Axe3, so I said....... Hey, I know, I'll use channels! What was I thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!:oops: So, I set channel A on the amp block gain at 3, Channel B at 4, Channel C at 5, and channel D at 6. I did it with both blocks. Then I did the same with the delay, with 4, 8, 12 and 16 percent in the mix with channels A-D. So thats 3 blocks changing channels with EVERY scene change..........

BIG MISTAKE...... Now I have time to grab a snack between scenes...... ugh.......:(

SOOOO, at some point in the next 24 I am going to have to rework all my presets, making channel A the default channel in the 3 blocks in question. Then I will need to go to the front panel and go thru the time of working out those settings using scene controllers..... Boy did I screw that up:eek:

Note to self, don't try to cut corners when creating the perfect preset. Do it right the first time!!!!!!!
So are u saying its the Channels switching and not the scene thats creating the delay? That probably makes sense with me but sadly when running a couple of different guitars through separate amp blocks at the same time, I guess its impossible for me to switch between amps from a clean to a dirty without using a channel switch. Unless theres a way to switch the amp as a controller number that doesn't have a delay??

OK so here is my basic band live setup....Again Im new to Fractal so if anyone has any better ideas on setting this up please let me know.
There are 2 guitarists and a bass running through this. U can see the bass is splitting a DI channel on 1 side and a processed channel on the other.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 1.37.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 1.37.29 PM.png
    331.6 KB · Views: 34
OK so here is my basic band live setup....Again Im new to Fractal so if anyone has any better ideas on setting this up please let me know.
There are 2 guitarists and a bass running through this. U can see the bass is splitting a DI channel on 1 side and a processed channel on the other.

Grab the official 1.09 you are on 1.09 beta #1. Official 1.09 has scene switching improvements.

And here are a couple of links to a recording of the bass channel, Input 4, output 4, with and without processing. Cutting in and out.. Doesn't happen on another simple bass preset I have, so Im assuming its something processor based, but the processor is only at 80%. Maybe a bug of some sort?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/synfexso7shez1q/Clean Bass Cutting In Out.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2ha4uf3ku9y4xx/Processed Bass Cutting In Out.mp3?dl=0

And what's happening here? Do you have Axe-Edit III running? Are you switching between scenes? Or just playing the bass and you get these dropouts?

When you say dropouts, you mean silence or fading, etc? You said you changed the cables? Maybe to much cpu usage?
If u listen to the dropbox links I added, u hear the intermittent dropouts, especially on the processed one u hear a digital noise along with it. Changed cables, inputs etc. Fine when going straight to DI. Something processor based, but no point having a bigger better processor if 80% is too much. Maybe there's some kinda bug in the combination of inputs, blocks etc? Has anyone else tried running multiple inputs at the same time like I am? Maybe they can share.

If u listen to the dropbox links I added, u hear the intermittent dropouts, especially on the processed one u hear a digital noise along with it. Changed cables, inputs etc. Fine when going straight to DI. Something processor based, but no point having a bigger better processor if 80% is too much. Maybe there's some kinda bug in the combination of inputs, blocks etc? Has anyone else tried running multiple inputs at the same time like I am? Maybe they can share.
I just listened to your soundbites. I experience that right when I switch scenes. I get an instant switch, then a second later it hiccups. On your bass block row, try disabling each block one at a timer and see if it goes away. Could be a particular block. As an example, I know from past experiences with the II, The intelligent gate would cause me issues when switching from one preset to another. Intelligent would cause a hum while Classic was quiet.

I just listened to your soundbites. I experience that right when I switch scenes. I get an instant switch, then a second later it hiccups. On your bass block row, try disabling each block one at a timer and see if it goes away. Could be a particular block. As an example, I know from past experiences with the II, The intelligent gate would cause me issues when switching from one preset to another. Intelligent would cause a hum while Classic was quiet.
OK I think Im getting somewhere. Thank you guys for the ideas...

So I rebuilt the Bass chain coming in and out on channel 4. I found that when I had the Parametric EQ on the wet and dry channel and panned 1 hard left and 1 hard right to split the signals to different outputs, I started getting the drop outs.. When I used the Vol/Pan instead and panned hard left and right, no dropouts...

Also amazingly now, and I did upgrade to the actual 1.09 now, I can switch through scenes which are changing amp blocks on the other channels and its not affecting the bass channel at all, no drop outs on scene changes, so a little victory.

Now Im experimenting and rebuilding the guitar chains to see if I can tighten up the changes.

I have found that the scenes are switching with no delay now but if there is a different channel selected on any of the blocks, it will cause a gap across the chain.

Thanks again guys. Not sure if its a bug in the parametric eq, but for now I'll steer clear of it in this instance.

Last edited:
So are u saying its the Channels switching and not the scene thats creating the delay? That probably makes sense with me but sadly when running a couple of different guitars through separate amp blocks at the same time, I guess its impossible for me to switch between amps from a clean to a dirty without using a channel switch. Unless theres a way to switch the amp as a controller number that doesn't have a delay??

Well from everything I have read so far, changing between channels, because they contain different information, is what causes gaps. I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong lol

And even if they have the same information u get a delay:)

Correct, because how is the unit supposed to know what it's a different channel ahead of time? At any rate, with the limitations you have due to your setup, you're going to want to look at drive pedals and scene controllers if you need seamless switching.

-
Austin

Back
Top Bottom