Signature Fender spring reverb sound?

This is one of those few things not quite there yet in the Fractal. By that I mean you can't accurately replicate the Fender builtin reverb sound.

The Fractal reverbs are extremely high quality and versatile though.

As you say you can get close, but not quite.

Some things I've tried and gotten close:

1. Rev in parallel before the amp block.
2. Rev -> Comp in parallel after the amp block.
3. Rev in series before the amp block and Rev -> Comp in parallel after at the same time.

I found the Rev -> Comp interesting because it adds a little oomph to the reverb and lets you control the tail differently than the reverb params in the block.
I was afraid that might be the case (not quite there yet). I realize it's not in big demand, and therefore low on their "to-do" list. What I was hoping for was at some point to have access to a Reverb Block to simulate the '62-'63 Fender Tube Reverb unit. It was a standalone unit, used with Bandmaster & Showman amps before Fender started putting them in the combo amps. It had its own tubes and produced much deeper (surfy) reverb sounds. Boss actually makes a pedal that does just that, and it's the best digital simulation I've heard to this point. For that sound, I guess i could use the Axe-FX effects loop. Thanks for the suggestions, though! I'll try them.

There's a factory preset called something like 63 spring or something that sounds pretty good. Definitely put the reverb block in front of the amp block for the '63 stand alone sound. Most Fender tube amps used a 2 spring, long decay tank (something like 3 to 4 seconds I think). Getting the EQ curve right in the reverb block makes a big difference in getting the right decay character too.

I like to turn up the 'tone' to about 4, medium spring reverb, 2,3 sec length, gets Fendery enough for me!

There's a factory preset called something like 63 spring or something that sounds pretty good. Definitely put the reverb block in front of the amp block for the '63 stand alone sound. Most Fender tube amps used a 2 spring, long decay tank (something like 3 to 4 seconds I think). Getting the EQ curve right in the reverb block makes a big difference in getting the right decay character too.
Went through all 384 factory presets and didn't see anything quite like that name. There was one called "Vintage Spring". Still didn't really do it for me. I've got LOTS of stuff to try, thanks to this thread. Thanks everyone! This will take me a while. I'll report back.

It's called '63 Tube Verb Box. It's preset 30 of Bank C (original location).
I don't have that preset. I copied factory presets 1 - 384 up to the 2nd 384 positions (385 - 768) and blanked the first 384 to use for my presets (at least that's what I was trying to do). But I'm confused a bit by such references as Bank C, location 30. When I look at Bank C in Axe Edit, it shows location #s 257-384 (which are now blank for me). If I look at Bank F (which should be from the original Bank C), the 30th preset (Loc #670) is "Quad Chorus". Am I just terribly misunderstanding something?

I don't have that preset. I copied factory presets 1 - 384 up to the 2nd 384 positions (385 - 768) and blanked the first 384 to use for my presets (at least that's what I was trying to do). But I'm confused a bit by such references as Bank C, location 30. When I look at Bank C in Axe Edit, it shows location #s 257-384 (which are now blank for me). If I look at Bank F (which should be from the original Bank C), the 30th preset (Loc #670) is "Quad Chorus". Am I just terribly misunderstanding something?
Look one preset beyond where you're looking now. :)

It's the 30th preset in Bank C. (128 x 2) + 30 would make it 286 of 384. I also moved the factory banks to D, E, and F. 384 + 286 = 670. It's preset 670 on mine. Quad Chorus is 669. You can use the A-Z tab to find it too. It's first in the list after the blank ones because it starts with an apostrophe.

often (on non mv amps) attaching an lfo to master volume rather than using the tremolo block.

have you tried the bias trem in the amp block? it's the most authentic sounding, imo because it works just like a real amp trem. nice and dynamic, too

have you tried the bias trem in the amp block? it's the most authentic sounding, imo because it works just like a real amp trem. nice and dynamic, too

Yeah - it sounds great on some amps but I think it sounds like shite on the Fenders (which are my most used). Also there's not much control over the trem shape.

But you're right, on the right amp it's ace.

It's the 30th preset in Bank C. (128 x 2) + 30 would make it 286 of 384. I also moved the factory banks to D, E, and F. 384 + 286 = 670. It's preset 670 on mine. Quad Chorus is 669. You can use the A-Z tab to find it too. It's first in the list after the blank ones because it starts with an apostrophe.
Unfortunately, that preset is blank. Looks like in my copying them all to the back end, I must have made a mistake somewhere & deleted that one. Wouldn't you know it? Of all the ones to lose! I guess I'll have to contact Support and figure out how to get it back. I have the 3 Preset banks (.syx files) on my laptop that I downloaded from the Fractal website. Not sure how to get that preset back on my system.
Also - I'm still really new at this stuff, and don't even know where to find the A-Z preset lookup or the Preset Search function mentioned. Only been at this a little over a month. Even though I got the unit last summer, I just started working with it. Obviously still have a LOT to learn. Thank you all for the help.

Unfortunately, that preset is blank. Looks like in my copying them all to the back end, I must have made a mistake somewhere & deleted that one. Wouldn't you know it? Of all the ones to lose!
You can always download the factory presets from Fractal's website.

You can always download the factory presets from Fractal's website.
As mentioned, I already have them. I just don't know anything about the process of getting one or more presets from my laptop onto the Axe FX. Still too much a noob. I was going to look around for instructions and then contact Support about that. ...unless it's like really easy and someone on here wants to walk me through it!

Last edited:
As mentioned, I already have them. I just don't know anything about the process of getting one or more presets from my laptop onto the Axe FX. Still too much a noob. I was going to look around for instructions and then contact Support about that. ...unless it's like really easy and someone on here wants to walk me through it!
In Axe-Edit, go to the menu bar, click Tools, then click Axe-Manage Presets. When the Axe-Manage window opens, click on the Browser menu and open the directory that contains your downloaded factory presets. That'll get you started. From there, it's drag-and-drop, then Save.

You can literally just click import in Axe edit next to the preset select button and pull up the bank that way. Once the bank is up just click the preset you want and it'll pull that one up to play. It's how I use the factory banks without having them take up space.

You can literally just click import in Axe edit next to the preset select button and pull up the bank that way. Once the bank is up just click the preset you want and it'll pull that one up to play. It's how I use the factory banks without having them take up space.
I was able to pull it back in using the "Import" method. It put it (temporarily) in whatever Preset I was on when I pressed Import. That happened to be one of my current Presets, and I looked for a "discard" or "Undo" option, but ended up closing Axe-Edit to not risk keeping it. In hindsight, I didn't try just changing Preset numbers, but I really didn't want to risk writing over that preset (even though I had just done a backup).

I was NOT, however, able to bring it in using the Manage Presets tool. I've watched a video about that method, but hadn't tried it before. When you bring up Axe-Manage Presets, it shows all your current presets (starting at 001). Clicking Browse allows me to point it (two different ways) at the folder where the Fractal folder on my laptop is (at least I think they're presets - the files are called "AxeFX_II_XLPLUS_ALL-BANKS_vQ6.syx", plus 3 other files (replace "ALL-BANKS" with "Bank_A", Bank_B", and "Bank_C")). I've selected one or another of those files multiple times, and it just brings me back to the list of my current Presets. It never opens a window showing me any Presets in that .syx file, or allowing me to "Audition" those Presets. Apparently doing something wrong.

It won't overwrite your preset unless you Save.

To use Axe-Manage, drag the preset you want onto the slot you want to save it to, then hit Save.

It won't overwrite your preset unless you Save.

To use Axe-Manage, drag the preset you want onto the slot you want to save it to, then hit Save.
Rex, I get that. Only problem is it's not showing me anything to drag FROM. Just my existing slots. No other Presets window. Re-read 2nd paragraph of last post. Thx.

Back
Top Bottom