Signal strength of non-Axe FX DI tracks?

RifferMcDuck

Inspired
This may be a stupid question to most of you, but I'm trying to use someone else's DI tracks to get an idea for how their pickups would sound through my own presets before buying a set. He claims he used an Axe FX 3, but when I put our DIs next to one another to reamp for comparison, his signal strength is like 5x the strength of mine (pickups are similar output) and just overall has a way clearer signal re-amping into the Axe, so I'm confused. What is an Axe FX DI signal supposed to look like compared to other DI signals? How do I equalize them to accurately compare them?

There are many ways to record a DI with the AxeFX. The best way is to record usb channel 5 and avoid any level adjustments in the DAW. It sounds like one of you may have used a different method.

If your Input Level in the I/O menu is set very low (below 5% or so), your DI signal will be lower. It also depends on how you and he are capturing the DI (digital vs analog outs). If you connect the IN1 block directly to the OUT1 or OUT2 blocks, you'll get about 18dB of gain on the signal since those are not unity gain outputs. Use the OUT3 or OUT4 blocks to get a unity gain analog DI signal, or use USB Inputs 5 or 6 to capture a unity gain digital DI signal.

There are many ways to record a DI with the AxeFX. The best way is to record usb channel 5 and avoid any level adjustments in the DAW. It sounds like one of you may have used a different method.

This is the same way that I do it, but I'm unsure how he did it. Would there be any chance someone could take a look at his DI signals if I post a link to them?

This is the same way that I do it, but I'm unsure how he did it. Would there be any chance someone could take a look at his DI signals if I post a link to them?
There’s no way to know what the original level was. You can probably get a rough idea of what the presets would sound like by eyeballing the levels, but the best thing to do would be to ask him to record the DI’s with the usb channel 5 method.

Actually now I'm even more confused after looking up one of Leon Todd's videos on reamping. Here's what his DI signal looks like (bottom):

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 8.19.18 PM.png

Here's what mine (bottom) looks like next to the one I'm referencing (top):

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 8.17.31 PM.png

So this dude's actually looks just like Leon's. Am I doing this right? Levels are all good, tickling red, etc, DAW records from input 5 (instrument), correct?

Your input signal looks like it's clipping. If it's active pickups, check your battery. What is your Input Level set to in the I/O menu?

You want a low signal on your DIs so that way it doesnt clip when recording. You can always clip gain your reamped track up to level. You DI could have a little more signal but it honestly isnt needed.

Your input signal looks like it's clipping. If it's active pickups, check your battery. What is your Input Level set to in the I/O menu?

Oh shoot, forgot to adjust input when grabbing a guitar of similar pickup output - here's the comparison with no clipping and both are passive pickups with similar output levels. Input is at 60%.
Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 8.45.00 PM.png

I'm guessing both this guy and Leon are just playing REALLY hard?

You want a low signal on your DIs so that way it doesnt clip when recording. You can always clip gain your reamped track up to level. You DI could have a little more signal but it honestly isnt needed.

I just want to make sure my DI signal is healthy and normal, but I can't find one from the Axe that looks like mine. How do I add more signal to it?

What is your Input Gain set to in the I/O menu? Lower track still looks suspiciously flat. How are you verifying you are not clipping? Zoom way in on the waveform and check for clipped peaks. "Tickling the red" can be a bit vague when setting the input level. Checking the waveform is a much more precise and reliable way to insure you're not actually clipping.

What is your Input Gain set to in the I/O menu? Lower track still looks suspiciously flat. How are you verifying you are not clipping. Zoom way in on the waveform and check for clipped peaks. "Tickling the red" can be a bit vague when setting the input level. Checking the waveform is a much more precise and reliable way to insure you're not actually clipping.

Input gain is 0, I've never touched it. Input level is at 60% and tickles red when I play overly hard. I don't know what clipped peaks are, but here's the signal zoomed in further on the DAW, if that's what you mean:

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 9.17.00 PM.png

Input gain should be a 1.000 for unity gain. It's a gain multiplier. Less than 1 is cutting the signal. More than 1 is boosting it.

Input gain should be a 1.000 for unity gain. It's a gain multiplier. Less than 1 is cutting the signal. More than 1 is boosting it.

Is 1 the default position? I'm not next to my Axe or I'd check, but mine is left on whatever the default position is, as I've never changed it.

I just want to make sure my DI signal is healthy and normal, but I can't find one from the Axe that looks like mine. How do I add more signal to it?
Right, but your DI doesn't matter. The only issue here is: is your friend's DI at unity gain? There is no way to answer that by inspecting his DI. You'll have to ask him how he recorded it.

Back
Top Bottom