Sigh - Still On The Fence

His review should be fair. I currently have a BOSS GX100 sitting here for review. I cant make heads or tails of it from powering the unit on. A fair review would be taking the 10 minutes to read the manual and learn my way around the unit which I fully intend to do. If something after that isn’t clear or intuitive, I’ll talk about it. Or I can simply say its not a Etch a Sketch so buyer beware.
Yeah, I agree. If you take a piece of studio-quality rack gear and just try to use intuitively... heck I can't even finish the sentence cuz I would already be reaching for the manual at that point.

Moral of the story: use whatever tool fulfills your sonic desire(s).

Side note: great job Fractal community on not immediately jumping to defensive positions of nuclear fanboism. #ProudForumTeamMember

For me it's real simple, if Metallica - the first metal band I ever fell in love with - can tour with it, I can learn a couple things on how to dial in a world-class tone. Same goes for Kemper, Line 6, Quad Cortex, Digitech, Boss, etc.

Lots of tools, lots of options, there's a reason it's a 'free' market to let the consumer (player) choose :cool:

I agree with him that it can be a challenge to use the front panel/interface, and I always use the software editor when I can. That said - how often do you need to go in and deep-edit or build new patches in the middle of a live set? I've never once in hundreds of gigs had to do that - maybe adjusting an EQ for the room, that's about it live. If you're using the Axe III for live you'd most likely have a foot controller to do any live-switching.

Even though it can be a bit daunting at first, this gen of user interface is a huge step up from Axe II/AX8 - actually my laptop just died and I was working on my live tones all afternoon - wasn't a problem to use the controls on the unit (FM9). Personally I'm glad it's not touch-screen as I can't stand them.

I think a good way to look at it is that the Axe FX (and most gear regarded as "professional" IMO) is targeted towards users that know what they need, and it provides enough power and control to achieve that. It's not "user friendly", but those simpler interfaces are generally geared towards users that might be more learning or exploring, or they just want something that's Good Enough.

I've always felt that the Fractal stuff is for somebody who's got a job to do, and let's them do that job without any fluff.

I didn't buy an AxeFX, I bought an FM3, but I saw this particular video and after buying my FM3 and hearing how good it sounds, I stopped watching Rhett Schull. He even says that it sounds better than the Kemper or the Helix but he just doesn't like the UI of Axe Edit. That isn't a problem with the unit, that's operator error.

I would explain it more like this: if you use a PC for your entire life and then all of a sudden one day, you get a Mac, it's going to be a bit of a change. The commands are different, but in general, once you get the hang of it, they're both computers.

I didn't buy an AxeFX, I bought an FM3, but I saw this particular video and after buying my FM3 and hearing how good it sounds, I stopped watching Rhett Schull. He even says that it sounds better than the Kemper or the Helix but he just doesn't like the UI of Axe Edit. That isn't a problem with the unit, that's operator error.

I would explain it more like this: if you use a PC for your entire life and then all of a sudden one day, you get a Mac, it's going to be a bit of a change. The commands are different, but in general, once you get the hang of it, they're both computers.

I don’t watch his videos anymore, either. Not because he said mean things about Fractal and I’m butthurt (I also have a Kemper and a Helix, so I’m not hung up on any one brand), but because I’m not really interested in hearing the opinions of anyone who is too lazy to put the work into learning the basic operation of a piece of gear they are reviewing. Especially when they receive income from their channel.

Ironically enough Rhett Schulls video is what pushed me over the edge to buy it. When I heard the tones he was getting, and the fidelity of the effects in the scenes he made I was sold. Did not care whatsoever about whatever supposed shortcomings interacting via the front panel were.

So congrats to him for helping make a sale!

HIs content can be opinionated, which is fine, it is his channel... I don't have to agree with it, sometimes I do. I don't watch him as much as I look at performance, theory, and technique type videos. I don't really care for his Les Paul / Marshall tendencies. That's good sound.... I am not in high school anymore though, so moving on to Plexi models in Fractal presets.... lol. I'm just kidding.

I turn 60 next month, had quit playing out of frustration with Rheumatoid arthritis for a few years and then found Leon Todd and Cooper Carter vids on YT...AxeFX III MarkII Turbo has reignited my passion to play.
Rhett should have my experience of going from a PODxt to Mark II Turbo...talk about learning curve...I have found it to be rather simple especially with AxeEdit.
Here's the way I look at it...Yes I spent the money along with a Temple Audio 43 board, two FC-6's, three EV pedals a Mission Engineering Gemini II and some Kali LP-8 monitors but I sold 6 amps and a bunch of old pedals to gain 302 amps and a crap load of pedals in a very small footprint.
I'll also say I've spent way more on golf clubs over the past 5 years and they didn't make me as happy as this. I wasn't this enthused or as giddy as the day in 1975 when my father brought home and old Vox Hurricane guitar and a Kay 704 amp for me to get started on.
Now if I can just learn Reaper and Studio One 6...it sure isn't my old Tascam 424mkII....

I turn 60 next month, had quit playing out of frustration with Rheumatoid arthritis for a few years and then found Leon Todd and Cooper Carter vids on YT...AxeFX III MarkII Turbo has reignited my passion to play.
Rhett should have my experience of going from a PODxt to Mark II Turbo...talk about learning curve...I have found it to be rather simple especially with AxeEdit.
Here's the way I look at it...Yes I spent the money along with a Temple Audio 43 board, two FC-6's, three EV pedals a Mission Engineering Gemini II and some Kali LP-8 monitors but I sold 6 amps and a bunch of old pedals to gain 302 amps and a crap load of pedals in a very small footprint.
I'll also say I've spent way more on golf clubs over the past 5 years and they didn't make me as happy as this. I wasn't this enthused or as giddy as the day in 1975 when my father brought home and old Vox Hurricane guitar and a Kay 704 amp for me to get started on.
Now if I can just learn Reaper and Studio One 6...it sure isn't my old Tascam 424mkII....
Keep rocking dude, I’m somewhat younger than you (47) but totally familiar with the old 4-track cassette recorders (I had the MK1, tracks would bleed all over the place). Guitar players are like fine wine, we get better with age. So many insane guitarist getting quite old, but still deliver the goods (Steve Vai is 62, Satriani is 66, Paul Gilbert 56, Petrucci is 55, Steve Morse 68!!!). I’ve had the unit for almost a year now, and I’ve never been more inspired, worth every penny and still a bargain because of the priceless inspiration.

OP here.
Well I'm 67 and I'm still fine tuning my GAS.

Since receiving my FX3 I find that I'm using only one setting most of the time. I'm playing strictly Jazz now so I like the clean settings. If I want to do something else then I'll just look up examples and solutions on how to achieve it. I found trying to absorb everything the unit can do is counterproductive. Having said that, I'm really enjoying it.

OP here.
Well I'm 67 and I'm still fine tuning my GAS.

Since receiving my FX3 I find that I'm using only one setting most of the time. I'm playing strictly Jazz now so I like the clean settings. If I want to do something else then I'll just look up examples and solutions on how to achieve it. I found trying to absorb everything the unit can do is counterproductive. Having said that, I'm really enjoying it.
Cool man. What is that axe in your avatar? p90s hollow body or semi-hollowbody. Looks sweet. Looks expensive. I'm trying to get back into jazz. I haven't had time to really check out jazzguitar.be or whatever, but I bought some of those song books when they had them marked down around the holidays.

Cool man. What is that axe in your avatar? p90s hollow body or semi-hollowbody. Looks sweet. Looks expensive. I'm trying to get back into jazz. I haven't had time to really check out jazzguitar.be or whatever, but I bought some of those song books when they had them marked down around the holidays.
Ahh..
That's my Gibson L-5 CES 1952 Reissue made in 1994 by Master Luthier Terry Ryan from the Gibson Custom Shop Golden Years.

Attachments

• 0E8D7E9B-DBCD-4112-B436-A31DAA7B3AB4.jpeg
    0E8D7E9B-DBCD-4112-B436-A31DAA7B3AB4.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
  • FE248183-955C-42F1-9451-F4B0331CCBF3.jpeg
    FE248183-955C-42F1-9451-F4B0331CCBF3.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 21
  • 62461C3B-AB99-483C-A9B2-843010B79269.jpeg
    62461C3B-AB99-483C-A9B2-843010B79269.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 29C8746B-8F05-4A32-906A-CE9CEA5785BE.jpeg
    29C8746B-8F05-4A32-906A-CE9CEA5785BE.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
  • B8A9D9DB-4019-4D50-8BE9-521AAA4843F2.jpeg
    B8A9D9DB-4019-4D50-8BE9-521AAA4843F2.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the FX3 and then I ran across Rhett Shull's review (link below). Now, let me first say that my intentions/application for the unit will be strictly home studio recording.
I've haven't really delved too deeply into modeling since all of my recording experience has been by using a real guitar amp running through my pedalboard into an OX Box then through an interface and finally into Logic Pro.

I'm tired of doing all that crap and naturally am leaning towards getting into a modeler/processor unit.
Here's my concern:
Is this going to be way too complicated for me? I really like all of the benefits and capabilities of the FX but if I'm going to spend 90% of my time trying to "figure it out", then it'll be a waste.

Here's Rhett's review:

[YouTube]
RAT SHILL is an idiot.

The only thing that sound better than a Fractal unit, FM3, FM9, etc, is the real thing.

So either buy the hundreds of thousands of dollars of amps, or thousands of dollars worth of amps, or get a fractal.

Honestly it makes me sad you would trust anything rat shill clickbait has to say...

His video upset me when I saw it way back when he is a moron an a hole and a loser to anyone who knows whats up.

Back
Top Bottom