Sigh - Still On The Fence

The biggest issue with "endless tweaking" really comes from the most important aspect of your sound, the speaker/room/cabinet (IR response). I only like a few IR responses and I dislike almost all of the ones in the Axe Fx library and most of the big name ones as well. I only get along with the Bogren stuff for distorted guitar. For clean guitar, I don't have any issues. Otherwise, I mainly use the Diezel models on the AFX3 and dial them up relatively quickly. Getting stuck listening to youtube videos and peoples forums opinions doesn't really do any piece of equipment justice. I feel like every single time I went off of someone else's opinion I was selling the thing on Reverb quicker than it took for me to make the decision I wanted it.

personally I dont care for Rhett, so his opinion does'nt mean much to me... I'd take a fractal on stage with me anytime over a tube amp and honestly I'm suprised alot of touring people use it with the 4 cable method with tube amps when it can actually do an awesome job of emulating any amp out there. as for myself I only use it at home for personal use and not having a tube amp heating my room in mid summer by using something so incredible is the way to go. I know the purists out there like Rhett will always be around saying its not good enough bla bla bla, but when it comes down to it, its leading edge tech and it is the future... I feel priveledged to have such a Great Product available to me that allows me to play just about anything I can imagine in a single 3 space rack .

personally I don't care for Rhett, so his opinion doesn't mean much to me... I'd take a fractal on stage with me anytime over a tube amp and honestly I'm surprised a lot of touring people use it with the 4 cable method with tube amps when it can actually do an awesome job of emulating any amp out there. as for myself I only use it at home for personal use and not having a tube amp heating my room in mid summer by using something so incredible is the way to go. I know the purists out there like Rhett will always be around saying its not good enough bla bla bla, but when it comes down to it, its leading edge tech and it is the future... I feel privileged to have such a Great Product available to me that allows me to play just about anything I can imagine in a single 3 space rack .
We truly live in the golden age of music tech. Things are amazing and only going to get better. Use whatever and it all pretty much sounds grand. So many options these days. Versus back 20-30 years there was far less to choose and most tech options blew.

Rhett is just another idiot who makes money on YouTube. Fractal is the industry leader period. If you want to waste your money on something else that doesn't sound as good, then go ahead. The other products are no easier to tweak but you will spend more time tweaking them to make them sound almost as good as the defaults in the Fractal. I'm a long time Line6 customer who recently came over to Fractal. Now that I've had one for almost a year and dialed in my tone to what I want (which took a lot less time than ANY Line6 product), I can honestly say it blows away everything out there by a long shot.

We should be respectful. we all have to have a job, Rhett is lucky enough to do what he does.I don't watch his videos, I've just not come across them other than the Beato ones he appeared in, I have too much else to do.

Is the Axe Fx intimidating. yes to the untrained eye.
Is it difficult to use. not with Axe Edit.
I never play gigs, I haven't been in a band since the 90s. we wrote one song.
I use this at home 100% of the time connected to an audio interface and a macbok pro.

Axe Edit takes all the pain out of it. I still don't know how to use the axe fx (2xl+) without axe edit and it doesn't matter.

The modeller is so accurate you can just look up a random video or picture of a real amp and copy it. ball park job done.

Stick to the real world controls then when comfortable start playing with other things like input trim and the sat switch etc.

I've learned so much since I got an Axe FX. I've learned about the physics of sound, how frequencies sound right up and down the spectrum, what i need to do to certain amps to push out the tones I need etc etc.
It's a long long road but it's an optional journey.

We should be respectful. we all have to have a job, Rhett is lucky enough to do what he does.I don't watch his videos, I've just not come across them other than the Beato ones he appeared in, I have too much else to do.

I use this at home 100% of the time connected to an audio interface and a macbok pro.

Axe Edit takes all the pain out of it. I still don't know how to use the axe fx (2xl+) without axe edit and it doesn't matter.

The modeller is so accurate you can just look up a random video or picture of a real amp and copy it. ball park job done.

Stick to the real world controls then when comfortable start playing with other things like input trim and the sat switch etc.

I've learned so much since I got an Axe FX. I've learned about the physics of sound, how frequencies sound right up and down the spectrum, what i need to do to certain amps to push out the tones I need etc etc.
And there you have it!

I say any day you learn something new about what you can do with any Fractal product is a good day. My wife laughs at me while asking "what did you learn to do on your 'play-pretty' today?" I think her eyes glaze over when I start talking about how cool my III MkII Turbo is...she thought it was bad enough with the FM3!

I use axe-edit 100% of the time, minus changing system settings and engaging the tuner.

Today my FM9 came in. Without reading the manual, I was able to test my external volume pedal by adding a volume block, assigning the heel down to 9 out of 10 and assigning that to the proper pedal all on the face of the unit. I did not read the manual. I consider myself of average intelligence. I possess a GED and I once at the age of 6 got my head stuck in a window guard and the fire dept had to free me. Long story but…….let that guide you on people not being able to figure out the front panel. I’m not a nuclear physicist and I figured it out.

I say any day you learn something new about what you can do with any Fractal product is a good day. My wife laughs at me while asking "what did you learn to do on your 'play-pretty' today?" I think her eyes glaze over when I start talking about how cool my III MkII Turbo is...she thought it was bad enough with the FM3!
My wife is in a band with me and wants to hear exactly zero guitar speak.

Professional gear with significant capabilities will definitely require time and effort to learn. There’s no way around it. That said, those willing to put in said time will be rewarded with incredible versatility and value. If you understand the basics of modeling and multi-effect tech then getting started and creating useable sounds will be no problem. Creating a workflow and tweaking sounds will take some time but it’s well worth the effort. As with so many things in life, the more you’re willing to put in, the more you’ll get out of it.

I've heard that if you have nothing good to say about someone then you shouldn't say anything at all.. BUT, this is the internet and I like reading my own opinions after I post them - I think Rhett is somewhat of a "poser" or "phoney" who got into the youtube guitar gear reviewer influencer/personality early and if it wasn't for his parents funding (which he has acknowledged and referenced before) his early beginnings with sending him to music school and buying him the necessary gear to put together a polished channel then he'd probably be just another struggling musician if based on his abilities alone. He got in on the ground floor running is what I'm saying and became "a regular" so sooner or later he will pick up a few things here and there and at least appear legit. It's like the guy who just happens to leave on Sportscenter in the background when they are getting dressed and picks up a few buzzwords or knows about the latest big trade or injury etc and then can kinda fake his way through the conversation at a social gathering with the guys, but if pressed you can tell they have no real "depth." I could be way off, but whatever.. It's the internet. He also reminds me of someone I know who is "on the spectrum" and takes too much adderall the way he kinda just stares into the camera without blinking. I digress.. Judgement/opinion over.

Another “YouTuber” thread… these reviews can be helpful, I suppose, but seem to do as much damage as good. It’s like reading Amazon reviews. They could be selling 5 carat diamonds covered in melted gold for a dollar and some a-hole is going to give it a one-star review. You just have to sift through a lot of worthless cackling to find anything substantial.

Full disclosure: I’ve been playing since the 70s, so yes, I’m one of those older guys who happens to love all the great guitars and amplification options we have today. I also started at a time when actually playing on gear was the only way you were going to hear what it sounded like. You could read reviews in Guitar Player, but there was no YouTube or social media. You had to actual try things. And that’s still the only way to know if it’ll work for you.

Don’t let a little time investment scare you. You didn’t learn to play guitar in a day. Think for yourself, decide for yourself. Once you try that out, you’ll forget all about other people making up your mind for you.

By the way… I’ve been playing Fractal gear since 2011, hundreds and hundreds of gigs as my test bench, and it’s been flawless. If I can figure it out, anyone can.

I've heard that if you have nothing good to say about someone then you shouldn't say anything at all.. BUT, this is the internet and I like reading my own opinions after I post them - I think Rhett is somewhat of a "poser" or "phoney" who got into the youtube guitar gear reviewer influencer/personality early and if it wasn't for his parents funding (which he has acknowledged and referenced before) his early beginnings with sending him to music school and buying him the necessary gear to put together a polished channel then he'd probably be just another struggling musician if based on his abilities alone. He got in on the ground floor running is what I'm saying and became "a regular" so sooner or later he will pick up a few things here and there and at least appear legit. It's like the guy who just happens to leave on Sportscenter in the background when they are getting dressed and picks up a few buzzwords or knows about the latest big trade or injury etc and then can kinda fake his way through the conversation at a social gathering with the guys, but if pressed you can tell they have no real "depth." I could be way off, but whatever.. It's the internet. He also reminds me of someone I know who is "on the spectrum" and takes too much adderall the way he kinda just stares into the camera without blinking. I digress.. Judgement/opinion over.
Parental funding...my parents got me a second hand Teisco and a Kay 705 amp. The amp caught fire one day and the guitar literally feel apart in my hands...Dad then splurged and bought me an old Vox Hurricane and a Barcus-Berry XL-8 amp...I've still got both and about cry every time I think of his face when he brought them in. He probably did without lunches to get it.
Having said all that...I wish Novo had been around then!

FWIW, Rhett is in a proper touring band and has been for a number of years.
He also used a Helix for the majority of his gigs the last few years (as he says on his own channel), so he does know his way around a modeller.
He's certainly got more experience than me, someone who has never been in a band.

To assume that he's just a dumb kid putting on airs is kind of ignorant. His word isn't gospel, but it is based on his own experience. I think people need to chill out a little. I don't think he's got the experience and credentials of your Pete Thorns or whomever, but he doesn't really claim to anyway. I'm not a huge fan of Rhett but I do think he's a good player. Not my favourite genre of music, but the stuff he produces for his videos is musical and quite tasteful from what I've seen.

I hope @Rolf1 is enjoying their new Fractal gear! :D

FWIW, Rhett is in a proper touring band and has been for a number of years.
He also used a Helix for the majority of his gigs the last few years (as he says on his own channel), so he does know his way around a modeller.
He's certainly got more experience than me, someone who has never been in a band.

To assume that he's just a dumb kid putting on airs is kind of ignorant. His word isn't gospel, but it is based on his own experience. I think people need to chill out a little. I don't think he's got the experience and credentials of your Pete Thorns or whomever, but he doesn't really claim to anyway. I'm not a huge fan of Rhett but I do think he's a good player. Not my favourite genre of music, but the stuff he produces for his videos is musical and quite tasteful from what I've seen.

I hope @Rolf1 is enjoying their new Fractal gear! :D
Only thing I thought was ignorant was having a review piece for over a year, failing to simply read the manual then dinging the unit because you don’t know how to use it. It’s a professional grade guitar modeler, not a toaster. Doesn’t matter to me if he’s a kid in his bedroom or a rolling stone. If you’re going to review something, learn how to use it.

In the context of the other devices out there, the hardware UI is complicated.
It's not that bad once you get used to it, but it really isn't that intuitive. It's a fair point to have made and is relevant to his own experience with the thing, so he mentioned it in his review. shrug.

Would you rather he pretend that everything was 100% smooth and that he didn't have any trouble learning to use it?
That would be a useless 'review' at that point. People watch the video for a person's own feelings on something. It's not like he said the unit sucks. It's still useful to see the stumbling points.

Could he have done more reading up on the UI before shooting a video? Of course, I agree with you there.

In the context of the other devices out there, the hardware UI is complicated.
It's not that bad once you get used to it, but it really isn't that intuitive. It's a fair point to have made and is relevant to his own experience with the thing, so he mentioned it in his review. shrug.

Would you rather he pretend that everything was 100% smooth and that he didn't have any trouble learning to use it?
That would be a useless 'review' at that point. People watch the video for a person's own feelings on something. It's not like he said the unit sucks. It's still useful to see the stumbling points.

Could he have done more reading up on the UI before shooting a video? Of course, I agree with you there.
His review should be fair. I currently have a BOSS GX100 sitting here for review. I cant make heads or tails of it from powering the unit on. A fair review would be taking the 10 minutes to read the manual and learn my way around the unit which I fully intend to do. If something after that isn’t clear or intuitive, I’ll talk about it. Or I can simply say its not a Etch a Sketch so buyer beware.

Another “YouTuber” thread… these reviews can be helpful, I suppose, but seem to do as much damage as good. It’s like reading Amazon reviews. They could be selling 5 carat diamonds covered in melted gold for a dollar and some a-hole is going to give it a one-star review. You just have to sift through a lot of worthless cackling to find anything substantial.

Full disclosure: I’ve been playing since the 70s, so yes, I’m one of those older guys who happens to love all the great guitars and amplification options we have today. I also started at a time when actually playing on gear was the only way you were going to hear what it sounded like. You could read reviews in Guitar Player, but there was no YouTube or social media. You had to actual try things. And that’s still the only way to know if it’ll work for you.

Don’t let a little time investment scare you. You didn’t learn to play guitar in a day. Think for yourself, decide for yourself. Once you try that out, you’ll forget all about other people making up your mind for you.

By the way… I’ve been playing Fractal gear since 2011, hundreds and hundreds of gigs as my test bench, and it’s been flawless. If I can figure it out, anyone can.
My sentiments exactly.

Back
Top Bottom