Sigh - Still On The Fence

Rhetts a fucking idiot, and he is a complete YouTube shill.

I bought, and intimately sold, an FM3. I will say it is INCREDIBLE for studio work. The first amp PRESET alone was worth the price. The first 12 presets, exceeded the price. Note that I ACTUALLY PAID FOR my unit, unlike the "reviewer" above. Rhett is a total fucking TOOL.

Oh boy... This video again...
Yeah. I feel like many of the folks above that this video itself has a "Major Problem" and it's also a textbook click-bait title. The major problem with his take on things is that he doesn't really know much about the Axe-Fx III and it shows. He gets stuck on the fact that it would be challenging to edit presets via the front panel during the gig, something no one does (and it would really be a boring stage performance IMO). Maybe he's used to changing tubes and capacitors on his amps during shows, I'm not sure. He seems to not know about the global and per-preset performance pages if you do need to make instant tweaks to any parameter you wish.

You can go as deep as you want with it. If you want to dive deep into every parameter, there's quite a playground to discover. If you just want to pick any of the hundreds of presets that come with it and play right away, you can do that too. I find the interface of Axe-Edit very intuitive to build your own rigs and there's lots of help available online.

Bottom line - don't be scared away by an YT influencer's "hot take" :). There are too many players from bedrooms to arenas that are making great music and are tapping into their own creativity by using the Axe-Fx III that disagree with his take. It's a fun ecosystem to be a part of.

Ha ha! I do that all the time, but definitely not the user story I was referring to. Those of us who took the plunge and learned how to do it are normally the ones who say "it's not that hard".
It's really as hard as you want to make it. Most blocks sound great on their default settings, so drop and go.

Want to go deeper, use the picker for each block.

Deeper, change params on the first screen.

Etc

Now that I completed purchase, I'm about to order a decent set of powered monitors specifically for the FX and my guitar only.
Having said that, I'm pretty much set on two Genelec 8030C's unless there are any objections.

I haven't tried any Genelecs but went through a few before deciding on the Focal Alpha 65's and couldn't be happier. I see they added a new monitor, the Twin Evo. 6.5" tri-powered, they're around the same price as the Genelecs, would have been very tempted to go with them if they were available. Another Focal that's just a bit more is the Focal Shape 5" if you're wanting a 5" monitor.

Welcome to the club. The factory presets are amazing.

For a 15 min intro just reamp a looped DI track from Logic (and send it to both Ch 5 & 6 or volume is cut in half) and scroll thru a few dozen presets. Many will start off already sounding great.

Back
Top Bottom