Sigh... gig failure.

It's not about how much the rig costs but how big the company is. You couldn't get Friedman or Two-Rock or Redplate on the phone 24/7 and their amps sell for well over $3000/amp. Not even Line6, who is backed by Yamaha, has 24/7 support.
I also have a Soldano SLO 100 and had a question when I first got it.

Micheal Soldano called me HIMSELf to solve the issue.

I'm going to chime in just to say never had a HW|SW problem that wasn't my own fault. That's every axefx made. I have owned them all. I know that doesn't help the op. Just trying to add to the reference.

Hope you get it sorted out there Cujoren.....

I also have a Soldano SLO 100 and had a question when I first got it.

Micheal Soldano called me HIMSELf to solve the issue.
Sounds like he's not selling much if he's got time to call you. ;)

But seriously, it's not uncommon for Matt to call people to help them through issues. Some of us, like myself or Chris will also do calls from time to time. There are humans, busy and dedicated and hard working humans, on the other end of the line when you deal with their support channels. They're not a big company. If that's upsetting, maybe owning Fractal gear isn't for you? It's not a panacea for everyone.

That bit has me confused ..... you don't use a MFC but you do use a MFC? Did you mean "I don't use the MFC-101 firmware but ....." ?

Sorry for going a bit off topic ......
I don't use the Fractal MFC-101, but I use a Midi Foot Controller (MFC) made by BJ Devices that I've programmed with my own firmware that interacts fully with the Axe-FX :)

I'm glad the vast majority of people have not had a problem with the unit. Again, the incremental issues and the difficulty replicating are the most frustrating. Maybe if I word the ticket the right way or request a mutual time for a phone consult, that will solve the issue and I can get a live human to help.
That's NOT to say that the folks on this forum haven't been helpful; most everyone on here has a vast, if not encyclopedic knowledge of the machine. Chris has been unbelievably helpful.
I'm just saying that for the expense and market for this unit, there should be someone available to call during normal business hours to help. I'd rather be playing music than waiting 25-36 hours for a customer service response or hope someone sees my thread on the forum when a problem occurs, post, then wait for a response for solution.

I believe most of the times that I had an axe FX II freeze it was when it was connected to the pc via USB.

I had my XL+ replaced when I first got it. It started with the name timeout error and rapidly turned into the unit freezing and then not even turning on. I contacted support and they did a good job of taking care of me. My replacement hasn't given me any issues in the past 13 months of ownership with near daily usage at home and at band practice.

Technical difficulties suck. I wasted about 2 hours today troubleshooting some computer network issues. Sadly there's no such thing as perfect. After all, I've had analog equipment failures too in my 18 years of playing guitar.

Whatever people choose to do for their gear situation, I wish them the best.

I would consider myself a power-user as I routinely push the CPU limits. I have been having a particular issue for a while and is getting more common. I will randomly have a preset load with a block that is linked to a non existent 'Global' block (I don't use 'Global' blocks). All of the settings in this block will be turned full counter-clockwise (most of the time) or randomly all over the place. I then have to re-import the preset or the block from my backups and re-save it. Which does me know good at a gig.

In one particular preset it is always the 'Pitch' block? I haven't noticed any other patterns so far, but have seen it on many different blocks.

I've gotten the name timeout thing once on my MFC-101 mark III, but I was using Axe Edit and the front panel at the same time and messing with a bunch of MFC settings and such. I think I pissed it off doing all that at the same time. Other than that, everything's been tip top for me.

Never had an issue and have been using my Axe for years. I never gig without taking two units though. Always have a backup, that's my motto but I've never had to use it thankfully.

I've had all kinds of problems, all the ones you mentioned plus an unusual one where suddenly when I change preset the volume gets 30db's louder and clips the hell out of it. I'm in contact with the customer support about this and waiting to find a fix - hopefully soon

I once had a similar experience, unfortunately at one of the most important shows I played with my previous band. Halfway through our set, while playing a solo, all of a sudden my sound was completely gone.

I finished the song without sound and checked all the cables immediately afterwards. Nothing but a reboot could resolve the problem, so it was definitely also a software issue. In our last song of the night, the same thing happened again. Leaving me to finish the set without sound.

For me it always happened when playing a solo, so something with the switching of effects seemed to bug the Axe-FX II (Mark I btw). And at that time I was playing in a straight forward Thrash metal band, so no fancy effects, only one preset and a couple of scenes...

Later on, I changed my sounds and never had the issue again. So maybe you can also pinpoint which presets and/or effects are causing the sound dropouts?

I've experienced the runaway MFC issue where it started scrolling through the presets in the middle of a song, but each time it has happened, I'm pretty sure I inadvertently hit two (or maybe three) footswitches at the same time. I must have big feet. (And apparently that old wives tale isn't true, lol.)

Another data point:
I've had my Axefx2 mk1 hang once or twice while I was rehearsing at home, maybe with Axe-edit connected? Power cycle fixed it. All my Axefx gigs (min once a month since 2008, ultra then axefx2) have been stress free. Not counting issues with my foot controllers. I'm not using the MFC-101 though, but my own home brew controllers. Sometimes they play up, but not the axe itself.

I've experienced the runaway MFC issue where it started scrolling through the presets in the middle of a song, but each time it has happened, I'm pretty sure I inadvertently hit two (or maybe three) footswitches at the same time. I must have big feet. (And apparently that old wives tale isn't true, lol.)
Yes... This is the only issue I've experienced in a little over 3 years of using the Axe Fx and MFC. Fortunately only at rehearsals...but it's happened multiple times.

I can also say that I suspect I may have inadvertently pressed multiple buttons while operating one of my controller pedals that is very close to the right side of my MFC.

In fact, I posted a thread about it here, including a video. Re-reading that, it was a semi reproducible behavior:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/what-the-hell-happened-here.109769/

Yes... This is the only issue I've experienced in a little over 3 years of using the Axe Fx and MFC. Fortunately only at rehearsals...but it's happened multiple times.

I can also say that I suspect I may have inadvertently pressed multiple buttons while operating one of my controller pedals that is very close to the right side of my MFC.

In fact, I posted a thread about it here, including a video. Re-reading that, it was a semi reproducible behavior:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/what-the-hell-happened-here.109769/
Thanks UNIX-guy,

I read your prior thread and Gary mentioned the down and setup being held simultaneously.

When I get home I'll try to recreate the problem that way. I remember being in Set mode on the MFC.

I'm using a 3rd party foot controller with midi cable, and I have a power regulator. No glitches. Maybe the MFC is too complicated?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom