Shure SM7B into AX3?

ApocalypticKatana

Experienced
Would I need an inline preamp (cloudlifter cl-2 , SE DM1 etc)...

or an another audio interface (I've a focusrite solo 3rd gen) between the Mic and the AX3?

don't tell me just to use the audio interface >_> , I want the mic through the AX3

Or just Mic straight into the AX3 would be enough?

Last edited:
Hi

Some people report some success using just the Preamp Tube block but as the SM7b requires quite a bit of gain, I had no success and it introduced a lot of hiss.

A preamp between the two is what's needed, I have never tested a soundcard pre out to the Axe FX, but logically it should work.

Personally I'd sell the soundcard if it's not needed and use the funds for a preamp. I had great success with a DBX286 which is cheap and provides some features the Axe does not, such as a deesser, then into the Axe for effects.

Personally I use a GAP Pre73 Premier (has some nice grit) into the DBX286 for processing only, then into the Axe. I did use the Axe for effects but Cubase provides more flexibility for modulation and reverb. I get a really good vocal recording this way but if I was to sing and play guitar again, I'd happily rack that config up and use the Axe for delay/reverb/EQ etc.

Whilst the Axe is great, after a period of testing I found it didn't sound great as a vocal processor, and the preamp with a good signal and DAW processing was a lot better for recording.

Just to note, whilst the GAP Pre is a nice sounding preamp, the build quality is dreadful so I would recommend buying something else.

There is nothing "premier" about GAP stuff but it does sound really nice.

Mike

You'll need a preamp with about 60db of USABLE gain to avoid using a cloudlifter with an SM7b, unless your vocal is really belted out, then you might get away with 50db. Any way you cut it, an SM7b requires far more gain and far more than a budget pre to sound decent. The AxeFX3 is perfectly capable of outstanding vocal treatments from a professional grade mic (the reverbs are in a class of their own), but you absolutely need a quality preamp to get it into the Axe, or you will just be fumbling around with a degraded mic signal.

Hi

Some people report some success using just the Preamp Tube block but as the SM7b requires quite a bit of gain, I had no success and it introduced a lot of hiss.

A preamp between the two is what's needed, I have never tested a soundcard pre out to the Axe FX, but logically it should work.

Personally I'd sell the soundcard if it's not needed and use the funds for a preamp. I had great success with a DBX286 which is cheap and provides some features the Axe does not, such as a deesser, then into the Axe for effects.

Personally I use a GAP Pre73 Premier (has some nice grit) into the DBX286 for processing only, then into the Axe. I did use the Axe for effects but Cubase provides more flexibility for modulation and reverb. I get a really good vocal recording this way but if I was to sing and play guitar again, I'd happily rack that config up and use the Axe for delay/reverb/EQ etc.

Whilst the Axe is great, after a period of testing I found it didn't sound great as a vocal processor, and the preamp with a good signal and DAW processing was a lot better for recording.

Just to note, whilst the GAP Pre is a nice sounding preamp, the build quality is dreadful so I would recommend buying something else.

There is nothing "premier" about GAP stuff but it does sound really nice.

Mike
Appreciate the insight , thanks !

Bumping the level on the Axe-Fx grid introduces too much hiss IMO.

A Cloudlifter is great but quite expensive and needs phantom power.

If you just need the level and no other preamp functionality, use a Shure A85F.
Second this. I use one of these when I don't want to hook up my preamp.

I have my SM7 going into a phantom power source, then into a Klark Teknik DN360 (EQ), then into a Steinberg UR242, then into the Axe Fx. I get volume boost with the EQ and the Steinberg. The volume is low, but it's loud enough. My target final volume for vocals in Pro Tools is around -10 DB (ish) and I can get that without noise.

Having said all that, a mic pre-amp would help. I have a Klark Teknik CM-1 on order. You definitely need volume boost before going into the Axe-Fx (as others have already stated).

I run an sm58 into my FM3 with no issues. Compressor then filter block with generous gain works just fine.

Back
Top Bottom