Shure Axient AD4D AES I/O

skunc

Experienced
Anyone have any experience using Shure Axient wireless AES out to AES in of the Axe III?
To prevent clipping I am running the Axe III input @ 10%. I believe that is less than ideal. Shure's "system gain" changes both the input and output simultaneously in the same direction at the same time. It would appear there is no scaling option possible to bring the RF output down to a better level without also lowering the input to the Axefx AND lowering the receiver's input at the same time.

Last edited:
if the input needs to be below 10%, then it needs to be. my Majesty guitar with a cable right to the input is around or below 10% without issue.

you may have read that certain extreme percentages may be less than ideal, but that's usually when people should be setting it around say 30% or other more mid-range setting. there's no sense setting it way lower than it needs to be, but if it does need to be that low, do it. no prob.

Anyone have any experience using Shure Axient wireless AES out to AES in of the Axe III?
To prevent clipping I am running the Axe III input @ 10%. I believe that is less than ideal. Shure's "system gain" changes both the input and output simultaneously in the same direction at the same time. It would appear there is no scaling option possible to bring the RF output down to a better level without also lowering the input to the Axefx.

I don't understand why you'd have to adjust the AD level when you're feeding a digital signal in to the Axe FX?

Once the transmitter is set to the desired level and the receiver level is within tolerance. The input level is solid and clean with plenty of headroom but the output of the RF clips then the Axe input clips. This happens with most guitars and almost all bass guitars. I think this has more to do with the wireless than the Axe.

Once the transmitter is set to the desired level and the receiver level is within tolerance. The input level is solid and clean with plenty of headroom but the output of the RF clips then the Axe input clips. This happens with most guitars and almost all bass guitars. I think this has more to do with the wireless than the Axe.
Not sure I followed that. The input level (of what?) is clean with plenty of headroom, but the RF clips. If the RF is clipping, that’s happening before the Axe-Fx, and adjusting the Axe’s input won’t change that.

Sorry-the input level of the receiver. It seems the transients push the Shure's output to clip. The only way to make the Axient not clip is to have the transmitter gain set so low that there is only one LED lit on the receiver's audio input meter.
I'm just curious if there is anyone else has tried using this setup...

Sorry-the input level of the receiver. It seems the transients push the Shure's output to clip. The only way to make the Axient not clip is to have the transmitter gain set so low that there is only one LED lit on the receiver's audio input meter.
I'm just curious if there is anyone else has tried using this setup...
So you prevent clipping by keeping the Axient's signal low, right? That would reduce the input to the Axe. So why are you running the Axe's input at only 10%? That seems backwards. And that still doesn't address @Patzag 's question: why are you adjusting the Axe's analog input when you're coming in digitally?

Sorry, I have never used AES wireless, so I can't help you with the Axient gear.

1. Are you getting an OVERLOAD signal on your transmitter? If so, use the -12 dB pad on the TRANSMITTER.
2. On the AD4D (Receiver) - Got to Audio > Gain/Mute > Adjust Gain DOWN until the input no longer clips no matter how hard you play - Press Exit.

At that point, the output should no longer clip. In fact, the Output should never clip. It's the input gain that might be set too high driving the receiver audio processor beyond clipping.

Guitar signals had a much wider dynamic range than mics so don't be afraid to reduce the input gain quite a bit so that hard drumming does not clip the audio. The digital output should be optimized so that you son't lose resolution at the converter.

You can also use the SYSTEM GAIN menu to accomplish the above.

If none of this works, contact Shure support, they are very helpful and will help you out. It's strictly a Shure issue. There is no need to adjust the Analog input trim if you're coming in with digital AES signal.

Thanks for the assistance. I will begin testing cable vs. wireless I/O gain structure on Monday morning and work my way to the analog vs. aes testing. I will post the results.

I don’t have any of the Axient gear yet but when you have a chance.... could you do a mini review?

I had planned to get these (probably the AD4QUS) specifically for use with the AxeFX. Assuming you get the levels worked out, I’m interested in the performance of the system in dense environments. As always, I’ll need to demo it but it’s always great to hear from other (hard to find) users.

Ps is this for a tour? Large or small venue?

Last edited:
I don’t have any of the Axient gear yet but when you have a chance.... could you do a mini review?

I had planned to get these (probably the AD4QUS) specifically for use with the AxeFX. Assuming you get the levels worked out, I’m interested in the performance of the system in dense environments. As always, I’ll need to demo it but it’s always great to hear from other (hard to find) users.

Ps is this for a tour? Large or small venue?
Same here, I’m lookimg to Upgrade from
my Shure UR4D+ and I’m about to order the Axient also...

The idealized starting point for the Axient for guitar using the analog 1/4" outputs....

-12 Receiver Gain, Start with the input pad off, and 0 on the offset.

currently my Axe III A/D input setting is 10.6%

This is where I am starting from.

Understood. That was included as a ballpark reference so the instrument will be at the same level whether using the Axient or cable.

Understood. That was included as a ballpark reference so the instrument will be at the same level whether using the Axient or cable.
Ah, now I get it. You're saying that you get the same signal level (measured where?) whether you're coming in through AES or analog, and that you have your Input 1 set to 10 %, right?

For most settings of Input 1, there is no difference in level once the signal hits the Axe's grid, so that's not really a fair measure of how strong your AES signal is.

This is just a beginning of testing this up. I started with the analog side of things because I'm having trouble understanding the AES input level that appears to be clipping 6 dB early. The analog gain structure is for the best signal to noise ratio (for me) so the units (input) peak at the same time. My goal is to use the AES Input and if the need arises be able to use a cable and not have serious input level discrepancies.

The analog gain structure is for the best signal to noise ratio (for me) so the units (input) peak at the same time.
Help me understand. The signal peaks when it peaks, whether it's analog or digital. Input Level has no effect on the timing of the signal peaks.

Back
Top Bottom