Shuffle tremolo tempo?

ralphonz

Inspired
Hey there,

Does anyone know how to make the synced tempo shuffle (is it even possible?). I want a 1/16 term but shuffled...

For a shuffle shape, use a square, saw, or trapezoid waveform and the duty control to push the waveform over to be uneven. 66.66% would be 2/3, or a triplet shuffle.

For a shuffle pattern tremolo, the sequencer controller would let you define a repeating pattern of volume changes that have a shuffle pattern. I did 12 steps with one up/down cycle on the first 8 steps and the second cycle on the last 4 steps. At faster tempo settings you don't hear the discrete steps between settings and it sounds like a smooth tremolo. This doesn't work well for slow tremolo though, since you will hear the steps.

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
Ok did some more digging and found a better way with smoother trem but since there's no way to assign modifiers to tempo selection you have to use hertz instead. Use a tremolo block. Assign a sequencer to the rate parameter. On the tremolo rate modifier screen, set the maximum value to one third of the song tempo in hertz. Set the minimum value to half of the maximum value. Now on the sequencer parameter screen, set the rate to the same as the maximum value before (i.e. one third of the song tempo in hertz). Set stages to 3 and turn run on. Now push the number 3 slider up all the way to 100 and leave the first two at zero. This will give you a triplet shuffle tremolo. You can't always enter exact values into axe edit or the front panel, so you have to just get as close as possible.

Damn this box is awesome. Found another way. This one allows for tap tempo. Ok this time use a volume block instead of a trem block. Assign a sequencer controller to the volume parameter. In the volume modifier screen, use the minimum value to control the depth of the tremolo and set maximum all the way up to 10. Use the damping parameter to control the hardness of the tremolo. 0ms will be a hard square wave chopping trem. Higher values around 100ms will smooth out the chop and sound softer. The volume taper parameter in the volume block will also affect the shape. I like linear taper with the damping of the volume parameter modifier set to about 100ms. On the sequencer parameter screen, set the tempo to whatever speed you want. 1/16 sounds good. Turn run on and set stages to 6. For the sliders, set sliders 1 and 2 to zero, 3 and 4 to 100%, 5 to zero, and 6 to 100%. That will give you a triplet shuffle tremolo and you can change the speed with tap tempo. You can also assign an expression pedal to the rate parameter of the sequencer and control it that way too.

Same technique could be used for pattern tremolo effects as well. Just select the number of stages in the sequencer and set the sliders however you like. The rate and tempo control the speed it moves from one stage to the next not the rate of the entire cycle. For example, with tempo set to 1/4, each slider in the sequencer will get 1 beat worth of time. Rate at 10hz will give you 100ms per slider (1/10th of a second).

Back
Top Bottom