Show Us Your AX8 Rig! (post your pics)

Can I ask how well the velcro sticks to the carpet in the case? Thinking about picking one of these up as well. Also, is the lip of the lid in the way of the pedals? (too high?)

Velcro sticks very firm. Part of the issue is that it sticks so good, that when I tried to unvelcro the ax8 from it, it pulled the whole glued piece of carpet that's glued to actual case. So I feared it might do that just by the weight of it when being carried around. That's why I bought this. Whole pack of pick'n'pluck foam, and also convoluted foam for like 19$. I've stick that to the top case part (cover), to hold it firmly in place when closed, to eliminate empty space. I just used convoluted for now as you can see in the picture, I'll pluck the square pieces to fit the shape when I find enough time. And no, the lip is not in the way. Ax8 sits about 1/4" above, so no problem. Digitech Drop is about 1/4" below, but its not a problem hitting the switch.
This is the foam I was talking about.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...fle-bow-carry-case-replacement-foam?a=2190587

Here’s mine. Just got a roadie case.

Great board! I’ve been through ever single page of this thread several times and your setup is exactly what I’ve been looking for. Thanks

Few questions. I can’t see your connections on the back of the ax8. How much room do you have back there? Are the cables straight or 90 degree? Will a straight XLR fit and allow the cover to be connected or do you have to unplug? Are you able to put on the cover and leave the the drop Pedal and ax8 plugged into the power strip? Will you post another pic of the back of the ax8?

It's been a while since I posted an update. Not much has changed in the last couple of years except I've just got the new Line 6 G10S, so here's my current setup:
  • Line 6 G10S – just got this a couple of days ago. Been using the G10 system and it worked well except that it really wasn't designed for pedalboard usage. So now with 9V connector, better antennas, solid metal case and selectable channels, it's a really solid device.
  • Mission Engineering Spring Loaded EP-1. I have a Fractal EV-2 as well but keep coming back to the EP-1. I rarely use it, it's too big and heavy. And when I do use it, it feels just right.
  • The knob just below the EP-1 is master volume, attached to the output volume. Great if I find myself quickly having to make some volume adjustment if I get the volume wrong in a preset for instance.
  • In the lower left is my momentary wildcard button. In most presets this will just enable the boost in the amp block and a little bit of volume boost. I use this when I just have a short line that I want to stand out. I also use this for the Raygun effect in Rebel Yell and similar momentary functions.
  • Above the momentary button is a clock from DS Engineering.
  • Above the clock is the lead volume. I can adjust this between 0-8dB boost. At noon its 4dB which is usually spot on with my band with 2 guitars, drums and bass. In some songs there's only me on guitar and then I can lower this quite a bit and some songs when the band is really digging in I can dial it up it a bit. At home I turn it all the way off so I can still practice all the scene changes and everything without having any volume changes.
  • Mounted underneath is the Mission Engineering 529 power supply.

Ax8-Update-2019-1551755556.jpg

It's been a while since I posted an update. Not much has changed in the last couple of years except I've just got the new Line 6 G10S, so here's my current setup:
  • Line 6 G10S – just got this a couple of days ago. Been using the G10 system and it worked well except that it really wasn't designed for pedalboard usage. So now with 9V connector, better antennas, solid metal case and selectable channels, it's a really solid device.
  • Mission Engineering Spring Loaded EP-1. I have a Fractal EV-2 as well but keep coming back to the EP-1. I rarely use it, it's too big and heavy. And when I do use it, it feels just right.
  • The knob just below the EP-1 is master volume, attached to the output volume. Great if I find myself quickly having to make some volume adjustment if I get the volume wrong in a preset for instance.
  • In the lower left is my momentary wildcard button. In most presets this will just enable the boost in the amp block and a little bit of volume boost. I use this when I just have a short line that I want to stand out. I also use this for the Raygun effect in Rebel Yell and similar momentary functions.
  • Above the momentary button is a clock from DS Engineering.
  • Above the clock is the lead volume. I can adjust this between 0-8dB boost. At noon its 4dB which is usually spot on with my band with 2 guitars, drums and bass. In some songs there's only me on guitar and then I can lower this quite a bit and some songs when the band is really digging in I can dial it up it a bit. At home I turn it all the way off so I can still practice all the scene changes and everything without having any volume changes.
  • Mounted underneath is the Mission Engineering 529 power supply.

Ax8-Update-2019-1551755556.jpg
Really nice!! Did you have many drop outs with the G10? Notice any with the G10s so far? Thanks

Last edited:
Great board! I’ve been through ever single page of this thread several times and your setup is exactly what I’ve been looking for. Thanks

Few questions. I can’t see your connections on the back of the ax8. How much room do you have back there? Are the cables straight or 90 degree? Will a straight XLR fit and allow the cover to be connected or do you have to unplug? Are you able to put on the cover and leave the the drop Pedal and ax8 plugged into the power strip? Will you post another pic of the back of the ax8?

Sorry, I've just seen this. Some are straight, some angled. Everything stays plugged in. As I said, I only need to plug the power strip into the wall, cable into guitar, and XLR for the output. Everything else thats on the board stays connected all the time

I tore apart my AX8 and decided to scale it down extensively, kneet from this
IMG-9107-zpsskswaelw.jpg

To this
DSC00754.jpg

My intent when getting the AX8 was to have a small portable sound solution and with all the extras on the 1st board it was well beyond that, so Picked up a Temple Duo 24 (Love those boards) and now i have the small portable unit i intended. And i have my AxeII and soon to be Axe III for all the craziness.

My_Ax8_Rig_20190503_015020.jpg

I am using a small DJ equipment case repurposed for the Ax8 and VOES MC-5jr controller by installing a raised false bottom and using veltex fabric glued to the 3/4" plywood. Everything is kept in place with velcro. The wedge monitors are Behringer D1220F (Class-D 250-watts each) in stereo. Each of the 2-way 12" speakers have an analog mixer stage with EQ and can feed a line input and/or microphone input mixed to the FOH on an output XLR. These work well for me as FRFR speakers, and are easy on my back because they weigh only 23 lbs. each! The VOES MC-5jr selects presets 1-5 in bank-19 on a long press, or select scenes 1-5 on single stomp. This leaves all of the footswitches on the Ax8 to be used to handle direct access to the effects blocks. The EV-2 pedal is a master volume.

PS: I do not mix a microphone thru the mixer on the speakers... it is just a feature of these speakers. Even though these are not coaxial with regards to the tweeter, there is no problem with phasing or localization of the sound sources. They can be plenty loud, but have a narrow pattern that does not get in the way of other talent on the same stage. I always send a feed to the FOH mixer & monitors.

Last edited:
55211339_10219562602203947_2719440469963571200_o.jpg

I needed a boat load of versatility for going between cover band gigs and Dream Theater tribute gigs. This replaced my FX8/Mesa Mark V rig I've been using for the better part of a decade, and is so much more tonally consistent now than I've ever been before. If I'm not using IEM's then I run my AX8 into one or two QSC CP8 speakers for live stage sound, then out of the speaker to FOH. The Quilter Micro Block is run from the FX loop 1/4" output pre-cabinet sim, so that I can run a 1x12 cab that faces me and gives me live amp responsiveness at low volume on stage when using IEMs (and is also my Petrucci foot stool for those gigs). Really fun rig to finally have all set up properly!

BxMxUUsA0lv

BxMxUUsA0lv

Hope the pic works.
I finally finished my main rig. AX8, G30 and a Magnum 44 on a PedalTrain Classic 1 board. I've been liking it this far and I have a gig on saturday where I'll actually see how it's gonna work for me.

Just great having all of it in one power cord.

The Magnum has usually been just in case, but now that it's more available I might use it more. The plan is to start using a guitar cab for monitoring and also send a direct signal to FOH.
It doesn't have a power switch so I did the cable management so that the power won't run away if I unplug it.

At some point I'll be updating the Magnum for a Powerstage 170 and the G30 to a G50 or similar, but for now I've been super happy with these.

My AX8 rig is super simple. I chopped down an old home-made board that I stopped using years ago and drilled a few new holes in it. Now it fits perfectly in an old SKB PS-25 padded case. I run OUT 2 mono into an Atomic CLR and OUT 1 (stereo or mono) to FOH.
AX8_RIG.jpg

Back
Top Bottom