Show Us Your AX8 Rig! (post your pics)

Built my own one simply because I couldn't find anything that fitted. Everything was too big or too small.
I wanted to keep it as compact as possible. Took me two hrs and incl. the custom case it didn't cost more than the "Emma".
You also have to check out if the case is deep enough since the AX8 is higher than a standard sized pedal.

I think the height will be a problem with the Amarhyll. I had a Amarhyll that I wanted to use with my Nova System, but the case wouldn't close, so I had to send it back. I guess the AX8 will be approximately the same height as the Nova.

I bought a Thon Effect Pedal Case Small instead. It is now sold, but I plan to buy a new one when I get the AX8. Maybe you can look into getting a custom Thon case made? I found mine to be very solid, and having the whole bottom fitted with velcro was very practical.

I actually use a Thon case with my pedalboard (T-rex Tonetrunk 68) now. Very happy with it. It is just that I would prefer a light alu board where fluids can disappear through the board. Maybe, I will get AmarHyll and aThon custom case. Thanks for the heads up about the height

Show your beautiful AX8 rigs here.

Maiden (full band) voyage last night... Killer show, packed house and we rocked it! First two gigs with the AX8 this year were acoustic duo and it performed extremely well. The unit is incredibly flexible with assigning almost any thing to any switch / preset. BUT... you need to plan appropriately! I have hit the CPU limit a few times and my fix is usually remove reverb. I'm not a huge reverb guy and I prefer a bit of slapback delay for my patches.

IMG_3091_zps8oqff57e.jpg

I could still use auto engage for the wah - I just think the toe switch could come in handy for other duties as an extra IA switch.

I've got 2 Mission pedals with the spring option and toe switches for wah duties and choose to get them with toe switches for either on/off for the way or for extra IA functions like you state.
But after I have tried auto engage for the wah, I've never used the switches again.
If I had to buy again I'd buy them without the switches but with the spring option.
Just my .02$

I actually use a Thon case with my pedalboard (T-rex Tonetrunk 68) now. Very happy with it. It is just that I would prefer a light alu board where fluids can disappear through the board. Maybe, I will get AmarHyll and aThon custom case. Thanks for the heads up about the height
No problem! I thought you'd want to know, instead of learning it the hard way as I did - shipping back to Thomann was 440DKK...

Came here because I'm toying with the idea of picking up the FX8. I swear, every couple of years I'll go pedals, then slim down and do something "simpler and more mobile", then go back to pedals again (because let's be honest, they're like little guitar candy, aren't they?).

This is all good info, thanks for putting this out there.

2-3 years ago I picked up an AxeFX 2 and enjoyed it for a while, right up until Fractal messed up with the software and that stopped working for a while. Made it way harder to use because I had to sit over the unit to tweak it - uncomfortable and lots of menu diving. Also, the constant change in tone when firmware upgrades happened irritated me - I'd get something I liked then I'd have to fix it after a firmware upgrade. And at the end of the day it didn't really feel to me like I was dealing with an amp and cab per se - the models didn't seem to kick ass right out of the box, or at least I didn't figure out how to really approach it. So I didn't have enough "tweaker" in me to really keep the AxeFX "fed" right and I didn't totally dig it.

So I sold that and ended up with a Kemper. Love the thing. Find the right profiles (or profile them yourself) and you can tweak a bit from there - kind of turns the modeling thing on its head. Less menu diving, more dedicated knobs and all of that up front. But I don't like the FX on there - I miss that from the AxeFX, honestly. They're okay, but no serious routing options, no crazy FX chaining, etc. I ended up using external comp, verbs, delays, OD, and even chorus so I'd have more immediate control over the parameters.

The FX8 looks cool as hell, and other than a couple of special pedals (overdrive is my guess), it could replace all my pedals and slim my pedal stuff back down quite a bit. And in pure idiotic style, plugging an FX8 into a Kemper would be supremely moronic, but what the hell.

And I'm like you - I have a big Mesa head that I can't play much in the house with a family and what-not. The Kemper is great, but still doesn't beat an actual tube amp and the feel that you get from that. The "just on the edge of lost control" feel of tons of power coming from that thing just can't be modeled. :) So my wish list also includes a Torpedo Live so I can try to use the Kemper even less. Although I have some great JVM410 models that I really enjoy...

I have a couple of Strymon pedals that I like, but honestly I could live without them if I could simplify my setup and still get 80% of the functionality (and honestly of that I use about 10% of the overall capability).

So a couple of questions for you, after all that rambling:

How do you find the "tweakability" of the FX8? You want to go in and change the mix parameter of a delay, or the type of delay, or whatever - menu diving time? Or is it fairly accessible on the unit itself? Do you find yourself using the software more than fiddling with the unit directly?

Looks like you have an OD in your chain. My understanding with the 4-cable-method is that you put your guitar right into the FX8 before the amp's input, so your OD is probably before your FX8? How does it handle an OD driving its input to hell? One of the great thing about tube amps is overdriving the input and saturating the hell out of the preamp tube - Kemper actually handles it fine, which I make use of...

How do you find the management of patches and scenes? So if you have a set list, how much hassle is it to program your set list into the unit, especially if that list changes frequently? Kemper has some interesting concepts there with "performance mode" but even their profile management is lacking... lost of button presses and knob turning to get stuff set up...

axe8_arjan.png

Here is my setup with the AX8, the Shure GLX wireless, a Boss pedal controlling the input volume and a spring loaded Mission pedal for wah. This fits nicely inside a Diago Showman case.

To do: I'm going to solder a power supply box together (a poor man's Pedal Power) that powers the Shure via a 9v transformer, the AX8, and my stage monitor and that has an on/off button and a 3-prong cable input. Together with a 5 meter power cable I'll be able to plug in and setup anywhere within a few minutes :). The power supply box is going to be above the Shure unit.

Came here because I'm toying with the idea of picking up the FX8. I swear, every couple of years I'll go pedals, then slim down and do something "simpler and more mobile", then go back to pedals again (because let's be honest, they're like little guitar candy, aren't they?).

This is all good info, thanks for putting this out there.

2-3 years ago I picked up an AxeFX 2 and enjoyed it for a while, right up until Fractal messed up with the software and that stopped working for a while. Made it way harder to use because I had to sit over the unit to tweak it - uncomfortable and lots of menu diving. Also, the constant change in tone when firmware upgrades happened irritated me - I'd get something I liked then I'd have to fix it after a firmware upgrade. And at the end of the day it didn't really feel to me like I was dealing with an amp and cab per se - the models didn't seem to kick ass right out of the box, or at least I didn't figure out how to really approach it. So I didn't have enough "tweaker" in me to really keep the AxeFX "fed" right and I didn't totally dig it.

So I sold that and ended up with a Kemper. Love the thing. Find the right profiles (or profile them yourself) and you can tweak a bit from there - kind of turns the modeling thing on its head. Less menu diving, more dedicated knobs and all of that up front. But I don't like the FX on there - I miss that from the AxeFX, honestly. They're okay, but no serious routing options, no crazy FX chaining, etc. I ended up using external comp, verbs, delays, OD, and even chorus so I'd have more immediate control over the parameters.

The FX8 looks cool as hell, and other than a couple of special pedals (overdrive is my guess), it could replace all my pedals and slim my pedal stuff back down quite a bit. And in pure idiotic style, plugging an FX8 into a Kemper would be supremely moronic, but what the hell.

And I'm like you - I have a big Mesa head that I can't play much in the house with a family and what-not. The Kemper is great, but still doesn't beat an actual tube amp and the feel that you get from that. The "just on the edge of lost control" feel of tons of power coming from that thing just can't be modeled. :) So my wish list also includes a Torpedo Live so I can try to use the Kemper even less. Although I have some great JVM410 models that I really enjoy...

I have a couple of Strymon pedals that I like, but honestly I could live without them if I could simplify my setup and still get 80% of the functionality (and honestly of that I use about 10% of the overall capability).

So a couple of questions for you, after all that rambling:

How do you find the "tweakability" of the FX8? You want to go in and change the mix parameter of a delay, or the type of delay, or whatever - menu diving time? Or is it fairly accessible on the unit itself? Do you find yourself using the software more than fiddling with the unit directly?

Looks like you have an OD in your chain. My understanding with the 4-cable-method is that you put your guitar right into the FX8 before the amp's input, so your OD is probably before your FX8? How does it handle an OD driving its input to hell? One of the great thing about tube amps is overdriving the input and saturating the hell out of the preamp tube - Kemper actually handles it fine, which I make use of...

How do you find the management of patches and scenes? So if you have a set list, how much hassle is it to program your set list into the unit, especially if that list changes frequently? Kemper has some interesting concepts there with "performance mode" but even their profile management is lacking... lost of button presses and knob turning to get stuff set up...
Not sure if my input is of value here, but I have the FX8 in a 4CM with a Fender Supersonic. I do all the tweaking on the unit and it is very simple and versatile. There is deep editing for sure. My favourite effect in the 4CM however is using the Tube Screamer drive block to push my amp for volume and saturation on solos. Works as good as my old TS9 pedal. Also, patch changes and scenes are a breeze.

I was in the rehearsal space and got to fire up the thing for real today - Damn it is nice

Anyways - Here is the board I am planning - It might be the cleanest board, I have ever had. Actually, the case for the board is too high, so I will make a foam insert, so I can keep cables and smaller stuff on top within the case.

WP_20160218_18_48_04_Pro.jpg

And here is my (our) FRFR setup
WP_20160218_20_25_49_Pro.jpg

And since, my board is not quite ready yet, here is how it got transported today (It's a Mono Dual (Stereo?) guitar bag - Dare I say, that there is a PRS in the bottom compartment?)
WP_20160218_21_44_38_Pro.jpg

I have been using the 1987x jump model for my drive sounds, and since firing it up full blast over the PA today, I just LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. I also found lots of love for the Carol Anns and the Two-Stone.

Back
Top Bottom