Wish Show Block Status on Home Page

JRod4928

Power User
The Home page displays the preset and scenes, and a bunch of unused space on the right side of screen.

Asking to list a bunch of effect blocks in this unused space, which will display if they are bypassed or active.

Going 1 step further. Please make this effects list editable. And possibly also display the channel that block is in.

This would help a ton to know which effects are active when using a MIDI controller to toggle effects on and off individually.

Note: As a side suggestion if the above is not doable, I'd suggest a page other than the Home page that displays all the effects and their status (bypass or active). Kind of how the AX8 could be configured to display effects and their status. And also request that this page be accessed using footswitches.

If separate screen, would also need a global setting to choose if preset changes land on this screen instead of home..... that way from a programming standpoint, all the Home screens are identical among all FAS units.

Last edited:
I think your wish could be mixed with this other one:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/list-display-zoom.160772/

It Is similar, but is more than just a zoom (though I also like that suggestion). He did touch on my request though.

The FM3 is awesome if you've already set up scenes, presets, and layouts for performances. But for jam sessions it would be nice to have the option to just select a preset, see what effects are on, and toggle them on and off on the fly as needed. Which is the root of my request... (I realize I'd have to set up a layout to use footswitches to toggle effects on/off - but setting up a 'jam' layout with a bunch of effects blocks assigned to switches is easy).

Last edited:
It Is similar, but is more than just a zoom (though I also like that suggestion). He did touch on my request though.

The FM3 is awesome if you've already set up scenes, presets, and layouts for performances. But for jam sessions it would be nice to have the option to just select a preset, see what effects are on, and toggle them on and off on the fly as needed. Which is the root of my request
As a side suggestion if the above is not doable, I'd suggest a page other than the Home page that displays all the effects and their status (bypass or active). And request that this page be accessed using footswitches.

The issue with this is that you can build some pretty complex chains on the Axe-Fx 3 which uses the same UI and fitting them into view would be a problem. Likewise you can type pretty long scene names.

A separate screen showing which blocks are on/off in each scene would be cool though. Could look something like:

1: Clean
[DRV1] [AMP1] [CAB1] [DLY1] [REV1]

2: Crunch

3: Lead

I hear you about the long scene names.... but how many people are trying to read/write a novel when on stage? You generally keep the scene names short on purpose.

As for the complex chains - yeah, but if your chain is complex you probably aren't looking to just turn off one pedal at a time - just use scenes. My suggestion is primarily for jams. Also worth noting this is the FM3 wish list, so the presets aren't as complex. Also if the effects display list is editable, you can only include the ones you care to see (drive, delay, reverb, chorus, flanger, pitch, etc...) and exclude the ones you know are already on (amp, in, out, fx loop, etc). This isn't intended to be a complete list of all blocks in each preset. it's intended to be a select list of key blocks you want to see during a jam/performance.

Also worth noting this is the FM3 wish list, so the presets aren't as complex.
Pretty much everything Fractal does starts on the Axe-Fx 3 and even if it didn't, by the time this feature was released the Axe-Fx 3 wishlist would have someone asking for it. So it needs to be accounted for so you can make one UI that works for both.

The easiest way would be to limit what blocks are shown in this and they really could be as simple as some colored text like in my example above. I do agree that you could probably leave out some always on options like the amp and cab block to simplify. But then I thought maybe you would want to have the channel listed there too if they were to use the blocks shown in grid view zoomed out.

The Home page displays the preset and scenes, and a bunch of unused space on the right side of screen.

Asking to list a bunch of effect blocks in this unused space, which will display if they are bypassed or active.

Going 1 step further. Please make this effects list editable. And possibly also display the channel that block is in.

This would help a ton to know which effects are active when using a MIDI controller to toggle effects on and off individually.

Note: As a side suggestion if the above is not doable, I'd suggest a page other than the Home page that displays all the effects and their status (bypass or active). Kind of how the AX8 could be configured to display effects and their status. And also request that this page be accessed using footswitches.
+1

I want to bump this. Because currently only 3 mini labels can show 3 effects status (on or off). Would be nice to see more on Home screen. So if you use an external controller to toggle on or off other effects, the home screen will tell you their status.

I'm thinking split the home screen into 4 quadrants that show (customizable) 4 different effects or scenes. Highlighted if engaged. Dimmed if not. (Kind of Like how AX8 was)

+1

Love this idea. WAY too much wasted real estate in the Home Screen. I’d even be up for maybe two global performance parameters or something.

Side note. This doesn't have to be the home screen. It can be a separate screen.

If separate screen, would also need a global setting to choose if preset changes land on this screen instead of home..... that way from a programming standpoint, all the Home screens are identical among all FAS units.

Going to add this to OP

Back
Top Bottom