Shout out to FAS for the AX8 UI - WOW!!!

I got a chance to hook up my new AX8 yesterday and, coming from the AxeFXII, it sounds exactly like I expected. My main reason for moving to the AX8 for live gigs was size and weight.

The UI is a very pleasant surprise - I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to the discussions.

I moved away from discrete pedal boards years ago (still have a pedal and amp collection gathering dust which I pull out from time to time just to reassure myself that I'm not missing anything).

I've used combo units from BOSS and Line6, the FCB1010 with a TriAxis and TCE G-Major, a LFJ with the Ultra, and the MFC101 with the AxeII. The Axe8 beats them all - no contest!

With 11 buttons I can now:

Change between 3 banks (more with more than 2 actions)
Change between 8 presets
Change between 8 scenes
Turn up to 8 FX on/off
Switch X/Y for 8 FX
Set TAP tempo
Tune

All with 2 actions or less. WOW!

I was planning to work on patches yesterday while the wife was out of the house. I dialed in one patch and 4 hours later realized I had noodled away all of my time on the 1 patch! Oh well - that's the downside of have a rig that sounds so good.

it's amazing. someone in the facebook group was just saying they weren't "impressed" with the features of the AX8. i have no idea what he's talking about!

It can definitely do a lot but I could conceive of a few UI improvements after just a day of use. To each his own...
-
Austin

I've been working on mine and, sure, even on the Axe Fx XL+ you can dig long enough to find something it won't do. What the AX8 will do though is pretty astonishing. The sound stands on its own, as expected. But to give so much control and make it all in an MFC-101 sized package is too cool. I keep finding different things to try, and have to remind myself (having been on the Axe Fx for a long time) to USE THE DIALS. They're awesome!

Taken for what it is intended to be, it's a bargain: monster tone-maker and controller in one, and that at a great price. Some of the most gifted players around are impressed with it so I don't feel too foolish lavishing my little bit of praise its way.

I played my first gig last night with the AX8; all I can say it that it was outstanding and the sound was exactly what I was used to with my AxeFx II XL. Previously I had to carry my rack + MFC and now I have everything in my Mono bag.

I got a chance to hook up my new AX8 yesterday and, coming from the AxeFXII, it sounds exactly like I expected. My main reason for moving to the AX8 for live gigs was size and weight.

The UI is a very pleasant surprise - I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to the discussions.

I moved away from discrete pedal boards years ago (still have a pedal and amp collection gathering dust which I pull out from time to time just to reassure myself that I'm not missing anything).

I've used combo units from BOSS and Line6, the FCB1010 with a TriAxis and TCE G-Major, a LFJ with the Ultra, and the MFC101 with the AxeII. The Axe8 beats them all - no contest!

With 11 buttons I can now:

Change between 3 banks (more with more than 2 actions)
Change between 8 presets
Change between 8 scenes
Turn up to 8 FX on/off
Switch X/Y for 8 FX
Set TAP tempo
Tune

All with 2 actions or less. WOW!

I was planning to work on patches yesterday while the wife was out of the house. I dialed in one patch and 4 hours later realized I had noodled away all of my time on the 1 patch! Oh well - that's the downside of have a rig that sounds so good.

I feel the same and would love editor/footswitch integration like this in the axe-mfc combo

It can definitely do a lot but I could conceive of a few UI improvements after just a day of use. To each his own...
-
Austin

foot switches as controllers, another instance of reverb and compressor are the only things I would wish for. I'm satisfied and amazed with what I can accomplish using the tools we have thou :)

I will be bashed for writing this, but in my world, Helix is head and shoulders above Ax8, when it comes to UI. A better screen and color coded footswitches would be nice to have. Touch a button to be taken directly to its controls would also be nice to have.

Ax8 is great with scenes and a quite clever and flexible footswitch layout, and then it just sounds much better.

I don't care to look down at the floor when I'm performing for an audience, so for me, the UI is not a factor. The AX8 interface is flexible and perfect for what I do.

I will be bashed for writing this, but in my world, Helix is head and shoulders above Ax8, when it comes to UI. A better screen and color coded footswitches would be nice to have. Touch a button to be taken directly to its controls would also be nice to have.

Ax8 is great with scenes and a quite clever and flexible footswitch layout, and then it just sounds much better.

I dont think you will be bashed. If I remember it correctly even Cliff made a positive remark about the UI on the Helix. (Maybe I remember it wrong)

I haven't tried a Helix myself, but it looks very good. With features many people like.

I agree with Musicman77. It doesn't mean much to me in a live situation with the scribble things. But if I had it on my AX-8 I probably wouldn't mind :)

Kind regards

AAEN

I'm really liking the look and feel of the AX8 too. I've only used the front panel so far and the more comfortable I get the more impressed I am. And the sounds! I couldn't be any happier with my purchase.

So far I absolutely love the AX8. It's exactly what I need.....a stripped down version of an Axe-Fx and MFC in one unit. The amp control knobs are awesome and super handy for small tweaks.

Of course there are some FW improvements that can be made over time, but right now this thing is an awesome, awesome unit...

I dont think you will be bashed. If I remember it correctly even Cliff made a positive remark about the UI on the Helix. (Maybe I remember it wrong)

I haven't tried a Helix myself, but it looks very good. With features many people like.

I agree with Musicman77. It doesn't mean much to me in a live situation with the scribble things. But if I had it on my AX-8 I probably wouldn't mind :)

Kind regards

AAEN

I was messin' with my buddy's Helix... it's' for sure quite impressive. The control at one's feet is quite extensive and they don't even have true x/y or scene equivalents yet... (Sounds are actually pretty darned decent too if we are being honest and not brand loyal for a minute.)

What I've read up so far on the AX8 controls and ability is right on the money... Lets hope the invites start flowing proper on Monday.

Fractal nailed the AX8's performance GUI. The things you need during a live set are right there, and after you play with it for just a short time, it feels very natural. It's amazing what they've crammed into 11 footswitches and a handful of knobs.

And the knobs feel great. Just the right amount of speed, acceleration and damping.

Back
Top Bottom