Shouldn`t "Bypass Thru" keep FX out of signal path?

Morphosis

Official G66 Support
Shouldn`t "Bypass Thru" keep FX-Block out of signal path?

Did not understand why the Delay buffer filled with Audio Signals when the Block is bypassed in "THRU" mode. The Block reacts similiar to "MUTE FX OUT", but the Output Level knobs don`t work.

In my understanding bypass THRU means: The Block is actual out of the signal path when bypassing. Output Level of the Block did not affect the signal when bypass is on. Paradigma like a "FX in a looper".

MUTE FX OUT: The block IS in the signal path when bypassed. Output level affect the signal when bypass is on. That`s allright, like all the other 3 MUTE IN/OUTs.

Can somebody explain me the "logic" of "BYPASS THRU"? Either the Block should be OUT of the signal path (Level out don`t work & delay Buffer won`t get any signal) OR the Block is still IN the signal path (The Level Out should work & buffer of the delay gets signal - like MUTE FX OUT Paradigma), but here it is a mixture of both - does not make sense to me ...

Any explanation WHY would be welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:
I thought Thru means the signal goes through it, passed on to the blocks after.

A delay would still "hear" signal and would repeat it if you engage after playing, and it should still repeat if you bypass it while it's repeating.

The other mute options are for silencing it.

I guess the answer is that's just the way it is, the effect is still fed signal while thru-bypassed. You can see the same thing happening with compressor or gate, where the meter will move while the block is thru-bypassed.

If you're saying the other way would be more useful at times, I agree. Maybe we could get a new "Thru 2" mode that does that. Losing the current style would slightly complicate one way of getting a stutter effect, engaging a thru-bypassed block at 100% mix while switching on hold or putting ingain/feedback to 0/100%, because it wouldn't yet have anything in the buffer to repeat. There are workarounds for all of this but they require at least one extra modifier or block.

Can you guys explain this a bit more? I always thought that just "BYPASS", turned off an effect completely and has no effect on the sound. Curious what "Bypass Thru" is because I've never used it.

Thru bypass makes the block output exactly what was input, like a shunt would, but the effect itself is still fed signal. So if you engage it, you'll suddenly hear repeats of what you had played just before that, which might not always be wanted.

If we had a new thru mode I suppose another nice feature would be that bypassing the block clears the buffer. This could be useful when repeatedly engaging/disengaging delay/reverb to sustain notes/chords.

I added to the four diagrams from the manual two diagrams: Behavior Thru actual and what i thought Thru should be in my understanding (Thru2):

public.php

Actual the (only) difference between "THRU" and "MUTE FX OUT" seems to be, that the MIX page is not affected in "THRU" mode.

I don`t get it ... ;(

Back
Top Bottom