Should we have to "sign" the release notes before being able to DL them ?

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Given the sheer number of users who keep having "issues" with things that are clearly stated in the release notes; such as the USB return levels settings, might it be a good idea to require folks to actually read through the release notes before they are allowed to download the latest firmware ?

Click on the link for the FW and another page pops up with the release notes and you then have to check off a box at the bottom of the page that says you've read them, and then after doing so, your allowed to DL the firmware ?

It seems that 9 times out of 10 peoples problems are simply that they didn't read the release notes....so, maybe requiring people to glance over them could help ? Not just the end users, but also reduce the number of repetitive post about the same issues over and over ?

You did sign all license agreements of all tze software you ever installed. So you did read every single word?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bill_Engvall_Here's_Your_Sign_CD_cover.JPG
    Bill_Engvall_Here's_Your_Sign_CD_cover.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 933
License agreements & release notes are 2 completely separate things. I'm sure no one is more frustrated with people asking questions that are answered in the release notes than Cliff but even if you have them do a digital signature, it still does't guaranty the notes have been read. (or understood). I deal with that all day long with people not reading my notes about major issues with proofs I send out & they still approve them even though they are unprintable LOL!

The only thing that tweaks me about folks not reading the release notes ( other than there's absolutely no reason for them not to ) is when they dive into a discussion hammering the release or people trying to help them !!! That's nonsense!!!! I think Cliff needs a remote device to disable their units
!!!
Ya can't fix stupid ya know !!!!

even if they sign they still will not read!!!! so why make it any harder on the ones that do?

Why would that make it any harder though for those that do read, because as is implied, they do read it anyways, so they aren't doing any extra work (aside from the literal 2 seconds to check a mouse box)

There seems to be this big divide between 2 types of Axe users; those who are so eager to read the release notes that they are asking for early copies, asking for the text to be posted online as they can't down load it yet, and then those that simply don't read anything.

Not only do some folks not read the release notes, but they also don't read the forum stickies that address their very issues before posting a question/bug/issue that was 1) clearly laid out in the release notes and 2) clearly explained in a sticky thread about said problem.

I kind of feel this issue kind of hurts everyone in a way; very busy people like Cliff spend time answering the same question over and over when they could be doing something more useful like updating some FX models. Very helpful people like Chris also spend a good deal of time answering the same question over and over, again, time they could spend doing other things. The end user misses out because they have to wait for someone to respond; and that response is usually pointing them to the release notes, upon which they can easily help themselves.

I'm certainly not calling for someone reading 10 pages of fine print, but what if the firmware download page simply had in big bold text the few important changes ?

Nothing to initial, sign etc, simply a "warning" about a change like the USB return level written right above the link to download ?

Doesn't need every minor tweak of every amp etc to be mentioned, but the few changes that will confuse most people maybe can have a little more attention drawn to them ?

even if they sign they still will not read!!!! so why make it any harder on the ones that do?
This. I've been writing various user documentation for tech stuff for over 25 years. No matter what you do, some folks will simply not read the release notes. Or the User Guides, or..... You get the idea. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

well that's what the website is for... reading and implementing are 2 different things for users who are new to the Axe FX.. remember when you got your first rack mount processor/effects unit. who are we to judge really

my website explains a ton of things. even if i give a link, people will click it but not read the whole article, asking questions that i covered specifically in that one document about that one issue. :) i've also gotten "i don't want to read, just tell me" on a text based forum... where they'd have to read. it's boggling at times :)

Do you work for the council? :p

Pauly

Given the sheer number of users who keep having "issues" with things that are clearly stated in the release notes; such as the USB return levels settings, might it be a good idea to require folks to actually read through the release notes before they are allowed to download the latest firmware ?

Click on the link for the FW and another page pops up with the release notes and you then have to check off a box at the bottom of the page that says you've read them, and then after doing so, your allowed to DL the firmware ?

It seems that 9 times out of 10 peoples problems are simply that they didn't read the release notes....so, maybe requiring people to glance over them could help ? Not just the end users, but also reduce the number of repetitive post about the same issues over and over ?

Would it be possible to enable a filter on the forum that recognises the same threads being rewritten that would instantly stop them being posted or something like that, stopping the lazy people who cannot be bothered to do a quick search before asking the same question again and again from posting the questions to begin with?
This USB return level thing is annoying me while browsing the forum lol, so i can imagine how the FAS team and co feel about this.

Would it be possible to enable a filter on the forum that recognises the same threads being rewritten that would instantly stop them being posted

how would it interpret and filter that though? anytime USB is mentioned?

Back
Top Bottom