Should there be a slight delay when changing presets with a midi footcontroller?

One way to greatly minimize this especially with time based effects (delay,reverb) is make a general big rig patch with all the effects you'll need. Turn on "ignore redundant PC" in the midi section(Axe-Fx) and make sure your midi pedal is transmitting instant access states when changing programs. Next, program your midi pedal to store a "dry" state of the program with none of the instant access switches on. Then make a new preset on your midi pedal and program to access the same patch in the Axe-Fx with the instant access switches on (reverb, boost, delay, chorus, drive, X/Y, etc). Make sure the bypass mode in the delays and or reverbs are set to mute fx input. You should have no dropouts and the delay reverb tails will ring out switch between the two presets on your midi controller.

One way to greatly minimize this especially with time based effects (delay,reverb) is make a general big rig patch with all the effects you'll need. Turn on "ignore redundant PC" in the midi section(Axe-Fx) and make sure your midi pedal is transmitting instant access states when changing programs. Next, program your midi pedal to store a "dry" state of the program with none of the instant access switches on. Then make a new preset on your midi pedal and program to access the same patch in the Axe-Fx with the instant access switches on (reverb, boost, delay, chorus, drive, X/Y, etc). Make sure the bypass mode in the delays and or reverbs are set to mute fx input. You should have no dropouts and the delay reverb tails will ring out switch between the two presets on your midi controller.

Yep, thats what I do I try to stay to one preset / song if possible. My foot controller presets just change which effects are on/off or at what level in each axe-fx preset.

Generally many foot controller presets to one axe-fx preset.

Spillover will not stop the dropout <30ms dropout.

also, if I recall correctly, certain criteria must be met for spill-over to work...
I don't think it's simply a case of turning it on and all your ambient requirements are met..
and I think that post preset change, the ambient effects will assume the setting of the 'next' reverb / delay settings rather than truly spill-over the settings from the previous preset..
this is not a worry for me though... I can config my way around this and create better spill-over situations by avoiding having to actually spill over..

also, if I recall correctly, certain criteria must be met for spill-over to work...
I don't think it's simply a case of turning it on and all your ambient requirements are met..
and I think that post preset change, the ambient effects will assume the setting of the 'next' reverb / delay settings rather than truly spill-over the settings from the previous preset..
this is not a worry for me though... I can config my way around this and create better spill-over situations by avoiding having to actually spill over..

Correct.

Yep, thats what I do I try to stay to one preset / song if possible. My foot controller presets just change which effects are on/off or at what level in each axe-fx preset.

Generally many foot controller presets to one axe-fx preset.

ahhh... just seen this.... from you and Moab...
that's my solution too... create a 'super-preset' that contains all the riff / rhythm / soloing needs of a song in a single preset..

EDITED: so during a performance you essentially "stay in preset"
TO: so during the performance of a specific song you essentially "stay in preset"

new song.. new needs... new preset...
so I have sets of presets to handle different 'song types'.. rockin songs.. ballads.. songs with special needs.. etc...
when I play through the set I select the patch that handles the given song...
everything is seemless..

Last edited:
my Fcb is pretty slow in changing between numbers even if i unplug it from the axe, i wonder if it´s broken or maybe the eurekaprom ,damn

Staying on the same AxeFX preset within a song is the way to go. I never change AxeFX presets during a song. During any given song I change presets on my foot controller to alter various elements of a single AxeFX preset (turn delay on/off, add an overdrive pedal, etc...). No dropouts this way.

"Back in the day" I had a Yamaha (cough cough) SPX50D....this thing had about a half second delay between patches LOL

...oh yeah, it sounded like crap too...;-)

Back
Top Bottom