Should I Trade my hs80m (+$) for dynaudio bm6a mark I

Mr.RangoTango

Experienced
As the titel says! I need som thoughts on this.

I don't really like my hs80m that much i Think they're distorded. I compared my hs80m with Adam a7x and really fell In love with the Adan's. Sadly their're not on any of the used-item-markets but my friend wants to trade his dynaudio bm6a mark I for my monitors. I will have to add some cash, but that's understandable:) If you know anything, let me know !
Thanks

I've heard that the HS80m can be a bit harsh and unforgiving (which can be a benefit). The Dynaudio BM6As (mk1) are a definite step up, and are much better (and harder to find) than the mk2s. While there are other monitors out there at a higher price point that are better, their clarity and full response are exceptional. They do have a slight dip in the lower mids, but as with any monitor your ear soon gets used to and adjusts for it, and I find them much less fatiguing for extended sessions than other monitors. I just recently "inherited" a pair (after debating for several years whether to upgrade), and they're a huge step up from the BM5As I was using.

One thing you definitely should be aware of: there are apparently a *lot* of units out there where the tweeters sometimes cut out when playing at lower volumes. Blasting the volume for ten seconds or so brings them back, but it's a bit annoying. The ones I was given do this (which I knew before-hand). Based on online research of this common problem at sites such as Gearslutz, consensus seems to be that the relays are the culprit. I found a set of relays super-cheap on ebay for $20 (search for bm6a + G5Z-2A), and I plan to have them installed before too long (I've been lazy about it, as the drop-outs have been relatively infrequent). The monitors themselves are absolutely worth it one way or another, especially if you can get a good deal on them.

You're the man, seasonofpaine :) i Will take that in mind, and ask my friend about this problem :))
It's cool to know about this dip, thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom