Should I really “downgrade” to the FM3 ?

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Seen this topic discussed tons of times of course, but kind of trying to figure out my own situation and changing needs so figured you all might be of sone help….

I’ve always owned a II or III and been very happy with it. Don’t play out anywhere these days and in all honesty, guitar has taken a backseat to synths and keys in the last year or two….

Basically any guitar stuff I’m doing is pretty basic patches, no kitchen sink stuff, no crazy dual amps etc, so I’m thinking, would the 3 work just as well for my needs ?

I used to use the III because I routed a bunch of AUX sends on my mixer to all the Axe channels and did a lot of processing, for which it works great, but now I’m using digital mixers with some good built in effects and also have more synth hardware such as the mpc one that has lot of good quality processing options, so I really don’t need 4 sets of stereo inputs anymore….

I figure I could still use a FM3 if I want to run a Rhodes through it, or use it on a stereo buss for a high quality reverb etc. basically just use it as a more limited bit of outboard gear for certain things.

I’m also not using any external pedals in a loop these days. Used to love my FreqOut etc, but just keeping it simple these days, in the box drives are really “good enough”, so don’t need several external loops.

I’m not sure what the realistic prices are these days but I’d guess I could maybe sell the III (not turbo) and fc6 for like 2 grand ? Buy a fm3 new, and put a nice sum of cash in my pocket, still have a nice guitar rig too.

At the same time, nothing wrong with the III in my rack and fc6 on the floor, and I don’t need the cash to keep the lights on or have enough gas to get to work……

So what would you do if you were me ?

Stick with what you got… unless you want to travel with it.

The FM3 is great for portability, even with the FC6 because it gives you two form factors you can use, and the built-in layouts so you can jump back and forth between the FM3 by itself, or with the built-in factory OMG9 layout.

I bought the FM3+FC6 specifically because we love to travel, then started working with Studio Slips to design a bag that'd be very compact, would allow me to travel with the FM3+FC6, toss it in the trunk or under or over the seat on a plane, and be easily carried when moving through crowds with a guitar in a gig bag and a small FRFR in the other hand. I love the resulting bag.

Yeah, sure the FX3 is a monster sound machine, but the FM3 is no slouch, it's just designed with certain goals in mind, one of which is the ease of travel.

Seen this topic discussed tons of times of course, but kind of trying to figure out my own situation and changing needs so figured you all might be of sone help….

I’ve always owned a II or III and been very happy with it. Don’t play out anywhere these days and in all honesty, guitar has taken a backseat to synths and keys in the last year or two….

Basically any guitar stuff I’m doing is pretty basic patches, no kitchen sink stuff, no crazy dual amps etc, so I’m thinking, would the 3 work just as well for my needs ?

I used to use the III because I routed a bunch of AUX sends on my mixer to all the Axe channels and did a lot of processing, for which it works great, but now I’m using digital mixers with some good built in effects and also have more synth hardware such as the mpc one that has lot of good quality processing options, so I really don’t need 4 sets of stereo inputs anymore….

I figure I could still use a FM3 if I want to run a Rhodes through it, or use it on a stereo buss for a high quality reverb etc. basically just use it as a more limited bit of outboard gear for certain things.

I’m also not using any external pedals in a loop these days. Used to love my FreqOut etc, but just keeping it simple these days, in the box drives are really “good enough”, so don’t need several external loops.

I’m not sure what the realistic prices are these days but I’d guess I could maybe sell the III (not turbo) and fc6 for like 2 grand ? Buy a fm3 new, and put a nice sum of cash in my pocket, still have a nice guitar rig too.

At the same time, nothing wrong with the III in my rack and fc6 on the floor, and I don’t need the cash to keep the lights on or have enough gas to get to work……

I'm considering same thing ATM, except I have the benefit of owning both and so know hands in what each is like.

It sounds like you have the III racked up and patch-bayed so that it's easy to route stuff into it and use it as a general piece of outboard gear, where you plan to put the 3 on the floor. Keep in mind the dongle-feat if cables that the 3 on the floor will be compared to the FC6. That...would drive me a little nuts. In your scenario, I'd probably put the 3 in a rack drawer where the III currently is and probably just plug a dual latching switch in for foot switching.

As for sellers regrets...meh. the Fractal stuff are commodity items that aren't likely to get any more expensive over time. If for some weird reason a III is needed in your future, you can snag another without losing much money on transactions.

I needed to sell my lll to keep the lights on and was just about to ship it, then I realized what the hell am I doing, so glad I kept it, but I would've been fine with trading for a FM3 bcuz I only record with mine and dont need big CPU Patches bcuz I use Plugins, but your situation is one that needs to keep the lll around, and utilize on a whim..

Keep the 3.not only can you do more, but you always get the newest updates first. and it will keep getting better. If you donot need cash back to keep lights on , no reason to go back to live with the limitations fm3 has even if it is wonderful for that price point.

FM3 + FC6 is a great combo.

You can do a lot with the 3 with creative programming, but the extra 6 switches make life easier.

Unless you are hurting for cash, I would keep the Axe III in a standard buy\sell arrangement. If you could work a deal to trade for a FM3 plus cash, that would be a sweet deal. Dont forget if you sell the Axe III, you would have to pay all kinds of Reverb\Pay Pal fees, deal with a W2 later, and sales tax on the FM3.

Unless you are hurting for cash, I would keep the Axe III in a standard buy\sell arrangement. If you could work a deal to trade for a FM3 plus cash, that would be a sweet deal. Dont forget if you sell the Axe III, you would have to pay all kinds of Reverb\Pay Pal fees, deal with a W2 later, and sales tax on the FM3.
This is why one sells on kijiji and fb marketplace.

The FM3 is best bang for buck modeler on the planet. When you combine form factor, portability,
included footswitching capabilities, and the ability to add exp pedal and external switches, there is
nothing else that comes close----inclulding the III. :)

The FM3 is best bang for buck modeler on the planet. When you combine form factor, portability,
included footswitching capabilities, and the ability to add exp pedal and external switches, there is
nothing else that comes close----inclulding the III. :)
Yep, I guess if you need to sacrifice processing power for portability then that’s what they make the FM3 for.:)

Back
Top Bottom