Should I purchase an AX8 if..

Divine

Should I purchase an AX8 if I'm primarily playing Indie/garage rock type music on it?
I know how well the Ax8 can play heavy rock to metal but I haven't really ever heard any demos if what I want to play on it. I'm really looking for an amp that nails anything from the garage rock style of The Strokes, Bloc Party, and the Arctic Monkeys but also gets that Santana tone. Really just the sound of like a DeVille I suppose besides Santana. This is just the type of music I enjoy playing but don't really know if the AX8 would accommodate me or if I'd be better off picking up a Fender amp or something similar.

the AX8 can nail any electric guitar tone.

what about the AX8 appeals to you compared to a real amp?

The appeals of an AX8 for me would be the price for starters. Most of the amp heads and cabs I've wanted have been less realistic for my budget. I'm not really looking for a one trick pony amplifier if I don't need to, but I do want to cover this genre's ground well. I play high gain styles as well and the tones I've heard from this unit always sounded better than real amps to me along with being more versatile.

I've found that any time I think "I'd like to hear this kind of sound", the AX8 can get it. I might need some help in getting there - but with the forum, and several other resources, always get there.

There are things to learn about the AX8 - so if you just go in with an open mind and realize (especially if you haven't used modelers before), you're going to have to do some work on your side, I'd say there is a good chance you'll be very happy. I've had mine for 1.5 years roughly, and still learn stuff every time I use it. I play live with it and get compliments on how my guitar sounds (hmmm, oddly though, not on my actual playing...hahah j/k)

My biggest problem is that when I sit down to play guitar with an actual purpose in mind like learning songs, I end up playing for a long time but never getting to what I was supposed to be doing!

In summary, it's a great product with awesome support.

I would strongly advise you to get an AX8, you can get pretty much any tone out of it, from crystal cleans to monster high gain.
I've done a few video's from clean to high gain on my YouTube channel if you want to have a look https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCucHc_gvHyocdK-D4KBM41Q
I tried so many amps before getting it, I bought a Friedman and that was great but then I needed effects too so I just sold it and bought an AX8 and a couple of Yamaha HS7's and I have no regrets.

others have commented similarly, but the AX8 is truly genre agnostic. You can get a lot out it if you play jazz, metal, or indie rock. The possibilities are limitless. I've had mine for a couple of years and enjoy it now even more than the day I bought it. It really did reawaken the guitar player in me. Don't overthink it - go for it!

OP, if you are primarily recording, you should look at the Axe Fx II. You have USB recording options, and two amps.

I know how well the Ax8 can play heavy rock to metal but I haven't really ever heard any demos if what I want to play on it.

I feel one area to be addressed is in recent years, the stigma or accepted norm about FAS gear being exclusively for these tones has really been debunked time and time again.

Ask yourself, if it's good enough for Maroon 5 (I know I know bear with me), Metallica, The Offspring, Dream Theater, Aerosmith (not 100% confirmed), Rush, etc. [decent enough list], is it good enough for the Indie/Garage Rock? This isn't fanboyism you are hearing from those participating in the thread, it's the reality that yes, it can do those things.

If you want a lower profile (which should be higher profile), check our @Cainer's content on the forum and definitely check out his remarkable music/tones through FAS gear (live & recorded):
http://www.garycainband.com/

Fractal Sponsored -

Parallel/similar tones to the bands you mentioned.

Depending on what you're searching for, I would agree with @chrisjnyc's comment on the native recording capabilities as well as dual-amp processing power in a full blown Axe-FX. I have both and GAS'ing for a III, but simply cannot afford it right now. The AX8 is primarily targeted for enhanced mobility with processing power trade-off, the Axe-FX II/III is targeted for everything you need ever forever and ever.

Simply said, yes.

I'm using an Axe Fx III for synthpop/electrorock.

It's also perfect for that.

Any style you want to play - it will be perfect for - cause it got all the amps and effects you need for everything.

The big problem?

They all sound good!

AX8 can nail the styles you are looking for. I switched from a Mesa RoadKing to Fractal and haven't looked back. It is SO much less stuff to carry and more versatile, too. The only downside is that there is more set up time when you play through a modeler. You have to set up your preset tones at gig volume as they get more of everything as volume goes up. Leveling them takes time. And there are so many new tones to try. That's a small price for the pay off. I play through an Atomic CLR and among those who think it's one of the best ways to amplify it.

I'm also looking at an AX8 right now. I am wondering if I should hold off for a possible new AX unit since it's a few years old? I don't want to pay full price for a new AX8 and then find out a month from now that it's already obsolete. In the past have there been signs that a new unit is imminent, such as Fractal Audio having a big sale to dump old inventory? I see the FX8 is on sale right now. Are $100 off sales a common occurance in the store?

Last edited:
I have been a fractal user since 2009. I now have the Ax8. I do NOT play hard rock\Heavy Metal. I do play everything else.

The Ax8 "excels" at all types of music. Mos of my stuff is cleanish with fx. Yes some great crunch stuff and some good old r&r. Never had an issue.

The Ax8 can play at anything...period!

Back
Top Bottom