Should I do something with my input signal when recording ?

Andromalius

Inspired
I've had big difficulties getting proper recording tones with the axe2, while playing live is really no problem.
Ola Englund has an ongoing mixing competition and he has been sending his DIs to people who participate. And I got stunnign results with them reamping through the axe.
I looked at his DIs and they are waaay different compared to mine, like they are compressed or something before entering the axe. The waveforms are certainly more ample, while mine are much smaller. (I do "tickle the red" when playing). For me to get a closer result I have to hammer on the strings like a madman, I'm also considering trying bigger picks at that point (still using 0.88 tortex for 60 gauge string, maybe not a bright idea)
Note that just raising the volume of a DI I made with the axe doesn't change a thing at all when reamping through USB.

So I wondered if I shouldn't be going straight into the axe for recording, use a preamp first, etc.
The other option is I just suck at playing, but I'm working on that. :D

There have been several threads about the dry USB signal level.

IIRC, it might be lower in level than a conventional analog reamp box dry track, but works fine for re-amping with the AxeFx II.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom