Should I do a soft reset on my main gigging presets on the new 4.0 Firmware??

Royalty

I am ready to download the newest firmware 4.0. My question is : My main 3 presets I use for my live gigs with my band are the Steve Stevens "ATOMIC PLAYBOY" . I use Atomic playboy for 2 scenes. One scene is set at a lower volume and the 2nd scene is set for +3.00 DB for solos with the Drive sound Steve Stevens used in his solo preset for Atomic Playboy. I also have delay ready to increase or decrease with the EV1 Expression pedal. On my 3rd scene I use a Shiver Clean sound on scene 3 that I put a bit of stereo chorus and a quick slap delay.

Right now I use just the FM3 alone with the 3 internal switches to change between the 3 scenes.
SCENE 1: ATOMIC PLAYBOY
SCENE 2: ATOMIC PLAYBOY + 3 DB UP
SCENE 3: SHIVER CLEAN

I do not want to loose what I got here because I already love the sound of these 3 scenes. I would love to update the firmware and have these 3 scenes sound even better with Cygnus.
Should I do any kind of reset or should I just load the firmware and play my gig with no resetting? I of coarse want the best sounding sounds because of the new Cygnus. But I am terrified of screwing it all up if I change the Steve Stevens "ATOMIC PLAYBOY" sound.

What would you do in my shoes? I got a gig Saturday night in front of about 1000 people so I don't want stuff surprising me in a bad way>

Whatever you do, make backups first. Meanwhile, here's what I wrote for the release notes.

"To update your own [older] presets for use with Cygnus, it is recommended that you reset the amp block for best results."

I don't understand all this reset angst. Save your preset to another location on the FM3, do the reset on your original preset, play guitar and see how it sounds. Switch back and forth between the reset and the un-reset presets. Which do you like better? Why is this even worth discussing?

I don't understand all this reset angst. Save your preset to another location on the FM3, do the reset on your original preset, play guitar and see how it sounds. Switch back and forth between the reset and the un-reset presets. Which do you like better? Why is this even worth discussing?
Because i.e. with my experience, i had all my presets running smooth and sounded great and when i applied the new fw that changed and i'm wondering how to get my initial sound back..
I saw a couple of videos that show a "simple" reset amp block switch and then everything went back as expected. I did that and still my presets sound thin and "problematic".
What i wanted to say regarding this is that not everybody wants to re program all of his patches from scratch

I used to do that but now use the Snapshot tool instead.

I take a snapshot of a preset before the reset, do whichever reset seems appropriate, then take another snapshot.

Then it’s easy to bounce between the before and after settings to compare them. Every time I make a change I like I take another snapshot. And, at any time I can still step forward through the changes or roll back.

I save the preset when I’m done.

What i wanted to say regarding this is that not everybody wants to re program all of his patches from scratch
Nobody is forcing you to take firmware updates. This is a pretty simple trade-off: either you (1) stay on the firmware you've got and no need to worry, or (2) take the update and rework your presets.

So I did the firmware update to 4 (CYGNUS) . I did what the instructions call a soft reset. I used these instructions below for "SOFT RESET"
I had it set to "IDEAL" and I changed my ATOMICA Steve Stevens (ATOMIC PLAYBOY) amp to another amp then I went back to my original ATOMICA (ATOMIC PLAYBOY) amp. Then I see All of my tone controls went to twelve o clock straight up. Bass, Treble, Midrange, Presence, etc........
It said if you are in "IDEAL" your tone controls are left the way you had them. I took photos of every page in the preset so I was able to put the controls back where they were. Also the Output EQ went to flat on every frequency . I took a photo of what it was before and put it back whew Steve Stevens had them when he made the preset. SO WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? OR DID I DO IT RIGHT? I DON'T REALLY KNOW. IT SOUNDS GREAT STILL BUT I WANT TO DO THIS CORRECTLY.

A “soft reset” means that you select another amp type in the AMP block and then re-select the previous amp type again. Or just select the current amp type again in the editor. This is referred to as a "soft reset".

When doing this, the amp model will be loaded again with most of its parameters returned to their default specific settings. It applies to the current amp channel only. The preset needs to be saved afterwards.

Whether the basic gain and tone controls are left untouched, OR also return to default when performing a soft reset, depends on the value of TONE CONTROL DISPLAY in the SETUP > GLOBAL menu:
  • when set to AUTHENTIC: a soft reset will also return Drive and Bass / Middle/ Treble and Level to their default values
  • when set to IDEAL: a soft reset will leave the existing Drive and Bass / Middle/ Treble and Level settings alone

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom