Should I buy used?

toesalad

Inspired
I currently have an FM3, but am interested in upgrading to the FM9. I got on the waitlist late, so I suspect I have a long wait ahead of me. I now have the opportunity to purchase a used one for basically what it would cost for me to buy one new. The question is, do you think it is worth it considering that I would be getting a product without warranty?

I currently have an FM3, but am interested in upgrading to the FM9. I got on the waitlist late, so I suspect I have a long wait ahead of me. I now have the opportunity to purchase a used one for basically what it would cost for me to buy one new. The question is, do you think it is worth it considering that I would be getting a product without warranty?

Do you trust the seller? The used FM9 itself? Is the FM3 limiting you so much that you NEED to take this risk? The FM9 is a brand new product with limited number of units in circulation - do you want to risk it?

Normally I'd say warranties are for peace of mind and generally aren't used (I don't buy warranties, unless it comes with the product automatically). I don't know the stats on the FM9's service history, but since it's a brand new product, it would be nice to have that coverage just incase. I guess it's a risk/reward question for yourself.

I got my AX8 used, no issues
My III was second hand, no issues and G66 told me they'd look after me if I had any issues
My FM3 is new and they've all been faultless

A used Axe FX III and a FC 6 or 12 is what I would be looking at if I was hot for an FM9, probably set you back the same amount or a few hundy more.

I would not - it's rolling the dice that you won't need the warranty on a Gen 1 product. And you probably won't, but if you do...

Disclaimer - I just paid $1,100 yesterday, to have a non-Fractal device fixed, that I had bought used, out of warranty. I'll not be doing that again.

I typically only buy used if I can buy the product for a price that is at max around 2/3rd of the retail price.

My experience with guitar related gear is that depreciation is low after the initial "hit" the first owner took; when you are patient the value would even go up.
For electronic gear like the Fractal it is a different story, because there is a 2nd drop in value when the next gen is announced and hits the market.

Personally I would not buy 1st gen electronics without warranty, especially when there is evidence from the market that issues are being reported. On the other hand, a lot of times electronics fail quickly (DOA), or a lot further down the road due to wear / handling.

Reactions: rog
Disclaimer - I just paid $1,100 yesterday, to have a non-Fractal device fixed, that I had bought used, out of warranty. I'll not be doing that again.
Doesn’t mean much without also knowing 1. the availability of said device and 2. the price as new / with warranty. I can imagine certain products being worth a 1k repair/refurbishment because they simply are not (readily) available anymore or the difference with the price as new still makes it worth the effort…

Fractal gear is high quality, I had all of them since 2012 or so, few more than once, few used and never had any issue.
If you MUST have it (pro gigging musician etc.) than go ahead. It’s a working tool and not a toy and no problem with no warranty.
If it’s just GAS and it’s not a working tool for you, than I think no, I would wait until they go back to production and buy a new one cause paying same as new for a used one would have pissed me.

It isn't GAS, but I am also not a professional. I have decided to hold-off and make-do with what I have until I can get an FM9 with a warranty. Thanks for all your helpful replies!

Doesn’t mean much without also knowing 1. the availability of said device and 2. the price as new / with warranty. I can imagine certain products being worth a 1k repair/refurbishment because they simply are not (readily) available anymore or the difference with the price as new still makes it worth the effort…
The price of the unit new did make it worth the repair, but I mentioned my experience more to point out that I have an immediate bias on this issue, after dealing with close to the worst case scenario on this type of thing. I disclosed it so the OP could have the most information about what my opinion is worth. Someone recently bitten might not be the best person to listen to when buying a dog.

Bought my Axe Fx III "used" (technically new, but scalped) and I've had 4 years of flawless service from it. I wouldn't worry about the warranty.

Personally, I would never buy a used product for the same amount as that product brand new. I'm far along enough in life that I don't need anything (that is not a necessity) that badly. I would buy it used for a decent price. But used for the price of new? No way. If you have an FM3, stick with it, and wait until you get the e-mail to buy a new one. If you even need it then.

Reactions: rog
As far as reliability: I have never had a single issue with any Fractal product. I have owned AxeFX II, MFC101, AxeFX III, FC12, AX8, FM3, 2 EV-1 pedals, and 2 EV-2 pedals. I tour internationally with my gear, and while I carry a backup processor (Tech21 Fly Rig), I have never had to use it. My Fractal gear has been absolutely reliable under all conditions.

Should you buy used at the same price as new? Only if you need the FM9 versus what you already have. The wait list is long for this new unit, but if you really feel it's the right fit for you, and you can trust the seller (or purchase through something like Reverb where you can file a dispute in the even the unit is misrepresented / non functional), then you probably aren't taking much of a risk.

I don't get anything in return for saying this: I would buy Fractal products without hesitation. They are battle-worthy tools that let me express myself in new ways.

Everyone has anecdotal evidence, but 1 sample size isn't enough to make a decision. Anecdotes from buying other models don't necessarily apply since it doesn't speak to the FM9 itself.

I think the thought process should be to look at the features gained with FM9, gauge whether they're a necessity for you, and if buying used is worth the risk (and increased cost) considering the newness of the FM9 model and how much use the specific unit you're buying has got. A lot of use without issues is a good thing, granted it doesn't have too much wear and tear....

There's always more risk when buying the 1st model 'year' of a product, and especially the first production run of that model - which describes every FM9 in circulation at the moment.

Last edited:
2.cents=“Yes “ i’d get a used Fm9 in a heartbeat, being a owner of one can’t recommend getting one enough!

Back
Top Bottom