Should I buy an FC-6 or an FC-12

Buy what you can afford if you don't have a specific use. You won't hate having the 12. I like the 6. The 6 with two foot pedals fits nicely on a stage. It's all I need. I wouldn't mind having another 6 to put on the other side of a stage that would support it.

I had the 12 and cleaved it in half:
20200920_162326.jpg

It puts my controller pedals in the center, where I want them, and lets me angle the ends in, which makes reaching the furthest button on either side easy, with no tai chi or yoga lessons needed....
A clever response, lol.

Please refrain from a similar solution, if requiring your cat (who looks genuinely concerned) to be in more than one quantum state simultaneously.

True, but they don't label themselves dynamically or show their on/off state.
There are some button types where LED indicators are not needed. I use a pair of them for Preset increment/decrement on tap and Bank increment/decrement on hold. The lights on these, if they were on the FC, would not really serve a huge purpose, as they don't have an on/off state to indicate. Some of the Utility switch types are similarly useful without indicator lights....

A clever response, lol.

Please refrain from a similar solution, if requiring your cat (who looks genuinely concerned) to be in more than one quantum state simultaneously.
I miss my cat. The OL's doc said she had to go, as the OL's new medicine infusion was interacting poorly with her cat allergy. She lives with a friend in San Diego now. :(

I have a mint FC-6 I'd like to sell if you're interested. Are you in the US? It's barely used as I got an FC-12 shortly thereafter.

The programming is very flexible on both units. I have been happy with the 6 buttons by making them do multiple duties.

That said, I have both the 6 & 12.

Why choose between A & B when you can have A+B?

That, BTW, is the motto of our marriage :) it's more fun than compromise, although expensive.

Save the $200 and get the FC-6. If you were needing or wanting to do a lot more than change presets, scenes and some effects, the FC-12 could be worth consideration. The FC format is incredibly versatile with features like Per-Preset switches and Layout Links that make it quite easy for the FC-6 to access a lot of different functions. Should you discover that a couple of more switches would be nice, adding an external footswitch is very easy.
While this is true, there are plenty of functions available like Bank, Preset or Scene +/-, access to a specific layout (i.e. Presets, Scenes or Effects), that would make labels or knowing their on/off state not necessary. I use a 2-button external switch with the FC-6, one switch linked to my Presets layout, the other linked to my Scenes layout (Tap) and to my main Effects layout (Hold). If I wasn't playing live, using the Master Layout Menu (MLM) to access the different layouts would be more than sufficient.

I would say if you are a home player and have the room for it, get an FC-12. I got the FC-6 because for jams and playing out I wanted something compact enough to carry in a pedal board case with 4 expression pedals (probably overkill, yes, but I use them at times!). FC-12 would just have been too big. But it's obviously way more convenient to have 12 buttons and not have to page around than to have 6.

As a home player I wish I had bought the 12. The 6 does have a ton of versatility and it does more than I expected it would. I may get another 6 down the road but I'll mess around with this more before spending the money.

I was considering getting an FC-6 when I upgraded to the Axe 3 but to me it was too expensive to justify considering it only works with the Axe 3. I bought a Nektar Pacer instead and it works great to change scenes and presets. The only downside is you have to program it to work with the Axe 3 but it doesn't take long and there are YouTube videos that explain how everything works. What I like about the Pacer is I can use it to control the Axe 3 and a DAW at the same time, so I can also use it to start and stop recording as well.

True Dave. But he is talking bedroom playing. I have a home studio and have 2 stand ins like @Joe Bfstplk and just the FM3. Sure 6 more would be cool. 12 more I would not know what to use them for except being lazy.. But hey, it's not my $$$. Just offering my opinion, as asked.

If money isn't a big concern then my suggestion is to get the FC-12. I have the FC-6 and now wish I had gone with the FC-12 instead.

What can you do with an extra $200 (after tax)? Let that dictate. For what you are doing, more than likely you will be happy with the fc6.

FC12...more is more and it is better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom