Should I buy an FC-6 or an FC-12

Aren't lots of old-school pedalboards the size of the FC12 or bigger? It's not bigger than the room a player needs to stand and move around on stage, is it?
Some of the pub stages my band plays (err...played) on are small enough that the bass player, acoustic guitar player, and I have to be careful not to swing the headstocks of our instruments into each other while we're playing. We can't do much moving around on stage, lol. For me the FC-12 would have been a problem. With the FC-6, I can fit the controller, two extension switches, and three Mission expression pedals on the same pedalboard that I used for my MFC-101 and two Mission pedals. (I also use a Roland GR-55, but it isn't on the pedalboard.) Even though there are fewer footswitches, I have more capability now in the same stage footprint.

FC-12 has suited me really well - only got it after all the gigs had stopped, but have enjoyed spending some time getting to know it and understand the remarkable flexibility of the FC series. It really is a step forward from the MFC-101 with the Axe FX II. For me, the MFC-101 seemed pretty compact as I had previously been using a TheGigRig Midi 14 with about 11 pedals on the same board. The FC-12 is a lot neater than either. If I ever find I'm getting short of stage space in some venues I'll definitely consider an FC-6 - pretty sure I can figure out how to use "views" to get similar functionality. But even if I do, the FC-12 is staying as the preferred controller. Whether it's because you have a lot of scenes to select, or you want a lot of bypass state and channel switching options, or even all of the above, it unlocks a lot of Axe FX III functionality.

Liam

Back
Top Bottom