Should I buy a '65 Fender Strat ?!

I love vintage Strats. If you are buying one with no experience you need to go to a top reputable vintage dealer with a great reputation and pay top dollar. The only other way is become an expert and play as many as you can get your hands on but this is not really an option any more because of the increase rarity and value. I take a lifetime to recognise if everything is right.
This is why relics are popular. You can buy your dream strat without the risk at a fraction of the price and it come with a certificate of authenticity.

There is something about the genuine article… the history, the music it’s made, the hands that might have played it. Undeniably cool. As Andy infers, I wouldn’t know where to start so I’d have to go through a reputable dealer were I to dive into the vintage Strat game. That said, I found everything I wanted in old Strat tone in my Silver Sky, so spending wildly on a vintage model isn’t worth it to me. It’s not an early 60s Strat, but it checks that box for my purposes!

I have to agree with Rick here. I had an American Strat for years that just never did 'it' for me, so I sold it recently. I picked up a Silver Sky (SE - The cheap one) a few weeks ago and OMG there is the Strat sound I've been after all these years.
Thanks
Pauly

It can be a perilous journey to buy a vintage strat. First of all you need to make sure it is not a fake. There are a ton of facsimiles out there. And of the ones that are the real deal, there are a fair number of duds. Quality at that vintage was hit and miss. Buyer beware!!!

I love Suhr and Charvel for that modded Strat sound, but I finally bought a relic 60s Strat because it was a fraction of the price of the vintage stuff I was looking at. I played over ten of the relics, and each one had strengths and weaknesses. The first one I bought I found out after playing it for two days, it had a neck bow combined with a twist that couldn't be repaired and was creating buzz and other issues I didn't notice in the shop. luckily the guitar shop took it back for credit. It took me several more attempts but I found one that was amazing. That said I have played some amazing vintage Strats but I couldn't afford the 5 figures they were commanding. Several people have already said it so I will repeat it. Make a vacation out of it and go to a shop that has a lot of them and has a good return policy and take your time. I live near Chicago Music Exchange and they have a ton of vintage stuff that isn't even on the floor in vaults that you can play with a request. When I lived in Nashville there were several nice guitar stores including Gruhn that I would trust. However, you will pay a premium but I think its worth it compared to buying a lemon (if you aren't an expert).

Having had a genuine '61 Strat, and a decent replica of an early 60s Strat, I can say that I'd rather have one that has a more modern neck.

I have two Strats now, a Fender American Deluxe with a rosewood fingerboard, and another I built with a roasted maple neck from Warmoth, and on both I replaced the pickups with Raw Vintage RV-50s, and the bridges with Callaham's. Both sound very old, but play modern, which is a nice combination.

I have a Dec 65 Strat, love it, and some consider it the last good Pre-CBS year with a small headstock, though IMO that's BS as there are lots of great Strats later on as well as earlier, as it's the individual guitar that matters.

One thing to consider, unless you don't play out or have a crew to take care of it on the road, you might not want to use an expensive vintage guitar at typical club gigs where it could get damaged or stolen, or check it with airlines etc (mine used to travel the world way back when it was just another guitar, but not anymore as it's too valuable, and to be honest, a Squire Strat can get the job done LOL).

Last edited:
There is something about the genuine article… the history, the music it’s made, the hands that might have played it. Undeniably cool. As Andy infers, I wouldn’t know where to start so I’d have to go through a reputable dealer were I to dive into the vintage Strat game. That said, I found everything I wanted in old Strat tone in my Silver Sky, so spending wildly on a vintage model isn’t worth it to me. It’s not an early 60s Strat, but it checks that box for my purposes!
But how do we know the history? Unless it’s celebrity owned or you meet the owner(s), it’s just wistful speculation.

I went way down the rabbit hole, at one point I had a 62 slab board, a 64 and a 65.

Best of the bunch was the 65 by quite some way.

When I needed to I sold them all and replaced them with a nice non-Masterbuilt CS Strat.

I upgraded the CS Strat pickups and did blind A/B testing against the 65.

Playing feel, the 65 was better. Down to you just can’t replicate the natural feeling of the neck.

But sound ? Blind A/B couldn’t tell them apart in a meaningful way, sounded like two different guitars and neither was better.

I absolutely love my CS Strat - I can change parts, dent it etc and never worry about cost.

And I have very real concerns about most Strats in circulation - I did a bit of vintage guitar dealing and it’s way too easy to make a partsocaster seem to be fully legit - Leo made these things modular and there a close to zero vintage dealers I’d trust.

If you want one and can afford it get it. They can be great, but play a lot first. Play good ones, bad ones, fake ones and get to know them.

And watch prices they’ve gone stupid high. They might well drop and if they don’t. The high prices mean less guitars than ever had a Floyd installed in the 80s 🤪

But how do we know the history? Unless it’s celebrity owned or you meet the owner(s), it’s just wistful speculation.
Totally that. And that’s part of the fun. To me its not just celebrity owners that matter. Some player did his first gig on it, another paid for his family doing bar gigs. You know, the things that are possible for a guitar that’s been around 50+ years. You’re right that you don’t know… maybe it sat in a closet all that time. You‘re right, it’s all just wistful speculation, but a guitar with a lot of years in its wake inspires that, in a way a new guitar can’t.

Not everybody’s thing, and could be the product of my own start in the opening months of that decade. I’ve seen a lot.

Last edited:
I love vintage Strats. If you are buying one with no experience you need to go to a top reputable vintage dealer with a great reputation and pay top dollar. The only other way is become an expert and play as many as you can get your hands on but this is not really an option any more because of the increase rarity and value. I take a lifetime to recognise if everything is right.
This is why relics are popular. You can buy your dream strat without the risk at a fraction of the price and it come with a certificate of authenticity.
Thanks a lot Andy and luckily I did quite some research with help from a friend and this guitar has its own history with all its documentation and the right serial numbers on all the parts....BUT mainly : It just sounds amazing....!!!
I really feel bad for my best sounding CS Masterbuilt Strat which I have to let go now.....no way back after playing the '65 Strat.

I love Suhr and Charvel for that modded Strat sound, but I finally bought a relic 60s Strat because it was a fraction of the price of the vintage stuff I was looking at. I played over ten of the relics, and each one had strengths and weaknesses. The first one I bought I found out after playing it for two days, it had a neck bow combined with a twist that couldn't be repaired and was creating buzz and other issues I didn't notice in the shop. luckily the guitar shop took it back for credit. It took me several more attempts but I found one that was amazing. That said I have played some amazing vintage Strats but I couldn't afford the 5 figures they were commanding. Several people have already said it so I will repeat it. Make a vacation out of it and go to a shop that has a lot of them and has a good return policy and take your time. I live near Chicago Music Exchange and they have a ton of vintage stuff that isn't even on the floor in vaults that you can play with a request. When I lived in Nashville there were several nice guitar stores including Gruhn that I would trust. However, you will pay a premium but I think its worth it compared to buying a lemon (if you aren't an expert).
Totally right man, when I looked for my CS , I also did play every Strat in the shop without knowing their prices....my current CS was the right one for me...and for many others who wanted to buy that guitar that same day...but they were too late.

I have a Dec 65 Strat, love it, and some consider it the last good Pre-CBS year with a small headstock, though IMO that's BS as there are lots of great Strats later on as well as earlier, as it's the individual guitar that matters.

One thing to consider, unless you don't play out or have a crew to take care of it on the road, you might not want to use at typical club gigs where it could get damaged or stolen, or check it with airlines etc (mine used to travel the world way back when it was just another guitar, but not anymore as it's too valuable, and to be honest, a Squire Strat can get the job done LOL).
Nice to hear man, mines is August '65.....luckily mine is already 'damaged' else I would not buy it....I want to play it as much as possible and don't want to worry about dings and dongs...BUT will make sure that it does not get stolen :(

I was lucky in this case because the guitar came with pictures of the first owner and name playing it and the sales contract and certificate that is is not Brazilian rosewood....But anyhow : the tone and feel matters most of all to me too rather than only the history ...of course, it has to be an original '65 :)

If you have found your "ideal" vintage strat and your happy with the provenance and the price it won't let you down on holding it's value.
As for replicas; I build quite a few for touring artist who don't want to take out there vintage gear but also want very specific details. Most are happy with the fender custom shop these days but there are things that I can get closer if that's what people want . A typical request would but ; "I have a 61 strat I love the tone of but want it to play exactly like my Suhr."
I can do that.
Here is an NOS 61replica with compound radius and Jescar 57110 stainless frets.
IMG_2174.jpg
This one is mine. It was going to be a relic but I decided against it during the build.
IMG_1491.jpg
And here is a nice 64 I had in to keep on the thread.

Nice to hear man, mines is August '65.....luckily mine is already 'damaged' else I would not buy it....I want to play it as much as possible and don't want to worry about dings and dongs...BUT will make sure that it does not get stolen :(
Sounds good, as guitars are meant to be played IMO!

Here's my "obviously damaged" Dec 65 Strat, one of the first big headstocks and likely three colors, along with an early March 69 LP converted with real 59 PAF's and Faber H/W, who's previous owner stripped the gold-top and stained the center-seamed two piece book-matched maple top (which was somewhat common back in the 70's, as I also have a 76 Strat that was stripped and stained by it's previous owner).

This late 65 Strat ws lost by Air Canada for a week once back in the 80's, so I suggest a gig bag and carry on if you fly (or a guitar coffin and air freight etc)!

Last edited:

It’s surprising how many vintage guitars are passed on with the history of it. I watch a ton of Emerald City Guitar vids, where they do videos for guitars they bring in and nearly every single one has some history about the guitar involved. Obviously there are plenty out there that have just changed hands and the history will never be fully known, but there are quite a few with stories to be told.

I love vintage Strats. A lot. I hate the radius and small frets but being a history geek and a huge fan of Strats, I just love them. I’ve been lucky enough to play quite a few over the years, including some really nice (and a couple horrible) ‘54 Strats at Mandolin Bros in NYC when I was a teenager in the 90’s. They’d just let me hang out in the vintage room and not even check on me when I was taking them off the walls!

Whenever I get to play one I usually just stare it down for a few minutes and think about where all the dings came from and how many gigs it‘s played. When you’re in a room with several from the 50’s and get to see/feel the changes they were making to them it’s really a treat. Going from a ‘54 to a ‘57 to a ‘58 and feeling the differences in the necks or body contours and getting to see such an iconic guitar taking shape in pivotal years gives me a crazy history boner.

Some pics from my Nasvhille trip a few years back, can’t remember all the years but damn I was in heaven!

A84AC41F-29B9-425D-A9D8-C0C17173DE57.jpeg
806ABAD3-CA85-4461-8DA6-BC91C50479D0.jpeg
90739216-9F5B-4ABB-8952-5596A2A182D1.jpeg
(I think that one was a ‘57 AVRI)
9119A8AD-DE90-49A8-9C7E-A268F5CA9AAB.jpeg
FC6E9EB1-924A-43C8-9CFF-4091445BA1B9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom