Should I bring a backup AXE-FXII when touring?

blackcom

Inspired
I'm going on a tour for 30 days through Europe. I actually own 2 AXE-FXII units, one in my guitar rack and another one in my studio.

Should deal with the hassle of bringing both to have one as a backup when going on tour, any reports of AXE-FXII units breaking down on the road?

If you don't take a backup, that Murphy bastard will kick you in the balls and break your one Axe FX II. Maybe if you are dead set against going with a backup rig check with G66 to see if they have one they could lend/lease you in a pinch. If I was touring I'd have a back up everything.

Are you taking a backup guitar?

Going on the road shouldn't cause it to break any more or less. You could probably go 30 days with no problems. But if something should happen - as is a possibility with anything - then would you borrow an amp and pedals? Seems like more of a hassle than 2 more rack spaces.

I've taken my AXE FX II out on the road for over 2 years exclusively for fly dates (about 50/year), and the airline baggage handlers are throwing it around underneath the planes several times/day.
It's in an SKB iSeries case.
I've never had one problem.

I'm not sure about Dweezil’s setup, but I believe he tours with two; I had the notion that one was essentially a backup.

I could be completely wrong, though – he may be combining sounds. Sorry, that's not much help at all!

I'm not sure about Dweezil’s setup, but I believe he tours with two; I had the notion that one was essentially a backup.

I could be completely wrong, though – he may be combining sounds. Sorry, that's not much help at all!

Dweezil used one for a short time before switching back to two - he actually uses both in the one signal chain because he hits the CPU limits.

On topic: you will probably be fine. But it's better to have a backup. Do it if you can, clench and hope if you can't.

Well, I haven't went on a tour yet but my Axe/Rack is "traveling" a lot as we rehearse and gig often.
my Axe is housed in the most cheapest rack and by now after so many rehears / gigs I've never had a problem.

I believe all is going to be fine with a single Axe but if you are not quiet with this, simply take a backup, end of story.
You can take the 2nd one with you or a smaller backup unit for example POD-HD or FLYRIG-5 etc. (these are only an examples).

I don’t think it’s a good idea to relay on a backup unit to be shipped to you in case of a crisis, it’s a 24-48 hours shipping time at the least.

After many years of gigging and road trips, I had my amp die completely 1 time with no backup ! What do you do ? Well you can pull your pants back up, but the Gig is pretty much over !! Since then, I always have a backup!!!

Never had an issue on dates with just one. Axe is probably the most reliable piece of gear out there. But if you can afford it, why not?

A true professional comes prepared to overcome any obstacle they encounter. I can't see a reason to take such a chance when you already own a spare unit.

If you have two then why not - I never even go to a local pub gig without a backup - like RDH said above - "the gig is pretty much over" if you have no backup. Although the Axe FXII is very reliable anything can happen with any piece of gear especially a computer based system - the power supplies are known to have blown on some units.

I guess it depends on what you can make it through the show/tour with. For me, I bring a Tech 21 Fly Rig and that's OK as a last resort as I'm not super effects dependent. I might want to consider the Atomic Amplifire instead but $600 feels steep. I've never used the Fly Rig but I only gig about 8-12 times a year.

If you already have 2, you're probably the type of dude willing to spend more money on gear. So go buy a 3rd... if it were me, I'd take the 2nd AFX (the one you have in the studio) as a backup...

actually, if it were me, I wouldn't use a backup, because I don't have $4000 to spend on axe FX rigs. I'm more concerned with my floor midi controller than my boutique processor.

I don't care if I'm playing one night across town , I take a backup of everything.

I guess it depends on what you can make it through the show/tour with. For me, I bring a Tech 21 Fly Rig and that's OK as a last resort as I'm not super effects dependent. I might want to consider the Atomic Amplifire instead but $600 feels steep. I've never used the Fly Rig but I only gig about 8-12 times a year.

+1 ^^ if you can finish out a show with basic fx the fly rig is all u need (get the red one while ur at it!)... Of course Murphy can loose baggage too...

Back
Top Bottom