Should I be worried...

stephenclark1

Experienced
...that I spent a whole rainy day reorganizing 2048 user cabs by producer, speaker size/configuration, mic type and then going back and inserting new cab numbers into all my presets? Should I seek help? In my defense though my RA was making the fingers not work so good on fretboard but you have to have the FAS on at least once a day if you are a true believer, right?

I think it mainly tells me that we don't have good enough tools to manage that.

A searchable tag system and the Axe-Fx being able to track selected IRs by file hash rather than slot would have meant you did not need to rearrange or reassign them.

...that I spent a whole rainy day reorganizing 2048 user cabs by producer, speaker size/configuration, mic type and then going back and inserting new cab numbers into all my presets? Should I seek help? In my defense though my RA was making the fingers not work so good on fretboard but you have to have the FAS on at least once a day if you are a true believer, right?

And you could fit them all in just 2048 slots? You are still a long way from the sanitarium gates

season 3 straightjacket GIF

And you could fit them all in just 2048 slots? You are still a long way from the sanitarium gates

season 3 straightjacket GIF
I thought I would look very OCD if I told that I went through them and picked the keepers. I personally can't hear a big difference between "57a" and "57e" so I more less went thru tested every one of them with my Kali's AND my Mission Gemini.

I thought I would look very OCD if I told that I went through them and picked the keepers. I personally can't hear a big difference between "57a" and "57e" so I more less went thru tested every one of them with my Kali's AND my Mission Gemini.
For once, a while ago I loaded up ALL of an Ownhammer pack, Moabi. Last night I checked out a lot of them.

I'm a Philistine, don't hear much difference in a lot of them, and that many microscopically different choices is distinctly unhelpful to me. Next chance I get, I'll kick out all of them except the mixes, which is all I usually load up.

Maybe. Don't need the space quite yet, and it gives me the opportunity to explore more easily than auditioning from disk.

Last edited:
😂 No... Absolutely not... Signs of professionalism and efficiency 👌🏻

Disclosure: I have the mine organised this way too
Probably shouldn't even mention this BUT I spent one day taking some presets that had the more or less the same footprint with just different amps and only Clean, Crunch and Lead scenes and combined them to make more room...

For once, a while I loaded up ALL of an Ownhammer pack, Moabi. Last night I checked out a lot of them.

I'm a Philistine, don't hear much difference in a lot of them, and that many microscopically different choices is distinctly unhelpful to me. Next chance I get, I'll kick out all of them except the mixes, which is all I usually load up.

Maybe. Don't need the space quite yet, and it gives me the opportunity to explore more easily than auditioning from disk.
The Moabi pack was what prompted me to do it! Can't have my OwnHammer mixed with my ML Sound Lab or York Audio! I did leave all of Leon Todd's cabs in front of User 1...to be honest you could get by with only those in my opinion...but they make these things so damn cheap!

Last time I looked, I had 9,000 cab IR's. I end up using factory, York, ML, and OH. I did sort my user cabs at one time, by vendor, and then speaker size, and quantity in cabinet

Last time I looked, I had 9,000 cab IR's. I end up using factory, York, ML, and OH. I did sort my user cabs at one time, by vendor, and then speaker size, and quantity in cabinet
Then you buy one more, spend time reorganizing to keep each maker's stuff together, then have to fix up your presets to boot. That last part is really quite a drag.

By cab type, do you mean 4x12, 2x10 etc?
4x12 oversize?
4x12 oversize greenback?
4x12 oversize greenback 121?
4x12 oversize greenback 121 cap edge?
Sure, marshall 4x12s, mesa 4x12s, 2x12s, etc. Probably can narrow it down to 100 or less IRs youd actually ever need, rest is just eq. A LOT of those IRs are ridiculously close to each other.

i was worried no one would make a statement about the inadequacies of the axe in this kind of thread, but rest assured it's here!
Inadequacy is a harsh and unfair word in this case. The cab block is perfectly adequate. This company is on a firmware crusade like no other pro audio company to improve upon what they sold. Surely there is some room for improvement here, too.

Sure, marshall 4x12s, mesa 4x12s, 2x12s, etc. Probably can narrow it down to 100 or less IRs youd actually ever need, rest is just eq. A LOT of those IRs are ridiculously close to each other.
So we're back to auditioning every IR in the box, and a hunk of third party stuff too if you want, and winnowing that down to a mere 100 keepers? Do that first before we start to play and we'll be all set?

Somehow it doesn't seem like that's suddenly become a reasonable or approachable task.

So we're back to auditioning every IR in the box, and a hunk of third party stuff too if you want, and winnowing that down to a mere 100 keepers? Do that first before we start to play and we'll be all set?

Somehow it doesn't seem like that's suddenly become a reasonable or approachable task.
A little research, looking at presets with tone you like, you can probably find one that works in the first 20 you try, you dont have to audition every IR on earth out of FOMO.🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom