Should FM9 be able to sound identical to FM3?

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
I transfered FM3 preset to my new FM9, matched global eq settings, and still i feel FM9 sound bassier?
What am i missing? maybe i forgot some global setting that can change the sound?
I had a perfectly dialed in clean preset on my FM3 and i want to have it on my new FM9.

I transfered FM3 preset to my new FM9, matched global eq settings, and still i feel FM9 sound bassier?
What am i missing? maybe i forgot some global setting that can change the sound?
I had a perfectly dialed in clean preset on my FM3 and i want to have it on my new FM9.
Standard answer involves posting the preset so we can take a look at it. Difficult otherwise trying to describe something we can't understand.

I found where it gets different:

The whole preset seems identical apart from Speaker tab in the amp block. In this tab the parameters are different compared to FM3. I just copied the parameters and it apears to sound the same.

Now, is this a bug?
I loaded the exact preset from FM3 to FM9 , but the Speaker tab does not match the data from the source preset

Were both devices on the latest firmware available? The version numbers won't match up, but firmware versions can make things sound different. If you make a preset on the latest Axe FX III firmware, it could sound different on FM9 and FM3 since they lag behind with the firmware updates. I don't know how much FM3 lags behind FM9, though.

I have not experienced this my presets sounds the same once I fixed up the IR's.
May want to check the align section of the CAB block.
I have had this with imported 3rd party IR's. This is not unique to the FM9.

Also @Hellbat is correct the 2 units are not at firmware parity yet.

The FM9 is ahead of the FM3... I wouldn't expect them to be identical or even necessarily work.

I know they are on different firmwares, but when i import the preset - i expect the corresponding parameters with the same name to have the same values.
Im not complaining - i just want to migrate my presets to the new unit and give people a heads up who are doing the same thing.

To anyone who is transferring FM3 presets to FM9:

You should check amp block speaker page, and reverb block pre delay parameters.

I know they are on different firmwares, but when i import the preset - i expect the corresponding parameters with the same name to have the same values.
You can't count on that at the moment. The FX3 and FM9 firmware and editors are ahead of the FM3's, but they'll get back to normal.

Remember, there've been many changes inside blocks and they'll result in some variations temporarily, but the goal is the presets and blocks will transfer correctly, within the limits of the destination unit's firmware. Also remember, it's a lot easier to build a preset on the smaller machine and move it to the larger one than to go the opposite direction.

PS - That said, the algorithms that generate the sound are supposed to create the same sounds on the devices. It's basically software inside a computer, so, given the same algorithms and parameters, they'll get the same results.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom