Shooting IRs with the Axe-fx II "Mic + DI Method" - results and notes

Folks of Fractal Audio Forum,

Obviously, there are a TON of professionally-made, high-quality impulse responses made with our needs in mind. But I recently got a Mesa 290 and a couple of Avatar 212 cabs and as always, my curiosity got the best of me. I REALLY liked the experience of playing in the room with a real cab, and so I put a mic on it. I had o fiddle for a few days to find what worked. Hell, it was the first time I ever actually mic'ed a cabinet. Since I've been recording I've been doing DI except for acoustic/vocals.

What I found is that I really liked the sound. I was able to mic the cab in the exact position that worked for my rig, rather than find an IR that got me in the closest ballpark and then tweak from there. The only problem was that it was loud, and since I value my hearing and general well-being, I started looking at shooting IRs.

Realizing that the power amp would VERY much color my IRs, I read up on the Mic + DI method and found a Whirlwind Director for $40 on reverb. Thus started the rabbit hole of the last couple of weeks.

I started shooting IRs totally experimentally, and what I found was they weren't translating very well on the Axe-fx II. Boomy, fizzy, and unbalanced. Some shots sounded good on their own but absolutely would NOT work in a mix. I tried several things for a few days of shooting (on axis, off axis, different speakers, etc), and was basically going to give up. Perhaps my room wasn't large or treated enough. This surprised me because the room itself is actually fairly good. Perhaps I just didn't actually like this cab as much as I thought I did and it was a honeymoon thing. Oh well. At least there were a ton of great 3rd party IRs out there.

That was, until I woke up this morning and had a thought. The Mic + DI method is meant to compensate for power amp coloring, so I was running my Mesa as I would when I was playing it live. The presence knobs were at about noon. It occurred to me upon waking, however, that perhaps the presence (which has effects on the whole frequency range, from what I can gather), was making it difficult for the Axe-fx II to get a compensation going on, and so with that in mind...

I went into my studio at 5 a.m. and had myself another go at it. I shot the first IR with an SM57 direct on the center cap (obviously going to be bright and brittle sounding), but I kept the presence at 0. Boom! Instant success! The IR immediately sounded like it should for the position. Considerably more balanced. Considerably better lows/highs/etc. With that in mind I shot 8 more positions around the dust cap of the speaker and was amazed at the results. I was getting the sound of my mic'ed cab at bedroom volumes! I also shot some with my Mojave MA201 (which before was fizzy beyond belief when I tried it) and once again, the results were excellent.

I'm not sure if this is the case with every other amp, but I can say that it TRULY made the difference in my case. I will now be able to start aiming in at the sweet spots of my speakers and get some absolutely killer sounds that will translate over across my live/recording rig, and I don't have to blow the walls off my house to do it. GREAT STUFF!

So, long story short, while there was a bit of a curve to figuring this out, shooting my own impulse responses has been one of the most gratifying processes I've gone through since owning this. I would highly recommend it to anybody who has the equipment, environment, and will to follow through with it.

Oh, and one other thing I learned during this experiment has to do with the cab-lab IR shooting process. It took me a few times to figure out what was going on here. I would shoot an IR, and if I didn't like the sound of it I would move the mic a little and shoot again... but there was no difference at all in the sound. That didn't make sense as when I figured out it wasn't changing I tried drastically different positions and they'd still sound the same.

It turns out you have to change off of scratchpad 1 on the axe-fx II side, and then go back to it, and it will only then load the freshly shot IR. It definitely tripped me out until I realized what was going on.

Reactions: yek
The Presence controls should be irrelevant if you were truly doing Mic+DI. Are you sure you had everything configured correctly? I've done literally thousands of Mic+DI captures, even using the instrument input on combo amps and just leaving the tone controls in an arbitrary position, and it works flawlessly.

Thanks for documenting some of the issues, and of course what you found to clear the hurdle. I've not yet tried my hand at shooting any IRs, but your info helps to keep it in the realm of possible. Cheers,

Lee

I am absolutely positive that everything was connected the right way. I followed the schematic to the t, almost in a paranoid fashion because I was afraid of damaging something. Nothing changed

I realize that theoretically it should not change the sound in any way, but it most certainly did.
The Presence controls should be irrelevant if you were truly doing Mic+DI. Are you sure you had everything configured correctly? I've done literally thousands of Mic+DI captures, even using the instrument input on combo amps and just leaving the tone controls in an arbitrary position, and it works flawlessly.

I am absolutely positive that everything was connected the right way. I followed the schematic to the t, almost in a paranoid fashion because I was afraid of damaging something. The only thing that changed from last night to this morning was keeping the Mesa presence at zero. It was immediately different. Granted, the pressure system changed (we got rain after several days of dry weather in Idaho), but I doubt it can explain the extreme difference in translation from last night at 9 pm to 5 am this morning.

I realize that theoretically it should not change the sound in any way, but it most certainly did, and in a VERY good way. And no, I can't explain it either.

I am absolutely positive that everything was connected the right way. I followed the schematic to the t, almost in a paranoid fashion because I was afraid of damaging something. The only thing that changed from last night to this morning was keeping the Mesa presence at zero. It was immediately different. Granted, the pressure system changed (we got rain after several days of dry weather in Idaho), but I doubt it can explain the extreme difference in translation from last night at 9 pm to 5 am this morning.

I realize that theoretically it should not change the sound in any way, but it most certainly did, and in a VERY good way. And no, I can't explain it either.

Humidity makes a huge difference in response. Probably the single biggest factor in the old "my amp sounded great yesterday and sounds like crap today" phenomenon.

Humidity makes a huge difference in response. Probably the single biggest factor in the old "my amp sounded great yesterday and sounds like crap today" phenomenon.

Yes, but my room is humidified. My household keeps a pretty standard humidity level no matter what. So that's why I'm not sure it's to blame.

Yes, but my room is humidified. My household keeps a pretty standard humidity level no matter what. So that's why I'm not sure it's to blame.

Well, I just did a test. Used a Peavey 6505+ (on the lead channel!!!!). Took one IR with all controls except volumes at noon. Did another with Presence, Resonance, Bass and Treble at zero. Identical.

Well, I just did another test too. I haven't moved the mic from the last position so I did another shoot but turned the presence up to noon. Changed the character of the IR for sure. More high end and lower low end definition. Turned the presence back down, shot again, and it sounds identical to the last MA201 IR that I shot this morning.

Very weird.

Probably your DI box. Overdriving the transformer. We use a RNDI.

I suppose that's a possibility. But I've played "live" with my DI box in between my Mesa and cab and it doesn't seem to have any effect on the sound whatsoever. I can standard mic it and it sounds like the IR I shoot when the presence is down. I am trying to eliminate all the variables, mind you.

I am also making sure I'm not clipping my mic preamp (ISA One), and I'm positive I'm not clipping the Axe-fx II back inputs either.

Keep in mind this is all theoretical because I'm perfectly happy shooting my IRs with the presence down. The results are so close to when I mic my cab with the presence up and record the signal that I can barely tell (give or take a little color from the amp itself - they are close enough so that I can barely notice a difference).

Back
Top Bottom