shoegaze dreampop ethereal postrock tones

hello
i’ll be getting axe fx 3 on monday, can you advice some shoegaze atmospheric patches in the style of slowdive, cocteau twins, lush, or in the style of appleseed cast, o’brother, moving mountains etc?

Can't say I know of a preset that's trying to cop those tones specifically, but everything you need is in the box. A Twin or a JC-120 into the appropriate speaker IR. A reverb block running one of the new "cloud" algorithms. Some Dimension chorus. A little fuzz on the front. It's almost too easy to build a preset for this kind of tone now.

ok thanks.usually i use strymon big sky and some h9 cloudy presets, is it possible something of that kind?

Very easily.

Moving mountains should be pretty easy to cop (and I should revisit that!). Obro will be a bit tricky as they are a 3 guitar band.

great! thanks. so is there somthing like shimmer or an ice (timeline) as alghoritms? cool.
in boss sys1000 there is not any shimmer

The Plex Delay block has a Shimmer Verb type.

The Reverb block has several Big Sky-ish reverbs. Looks for the ones that end with "umus".

great! thanks. so is there somthing like shimmer or an ice (timeline) as alghoritms? cool.
in boss sys1000 there is not any shimmer

Not a shimmer clip but yes this will make you never think about Strymons again. The Plex block does a lot of heavy lifting. Having more parameters available lets you really tailor the sound to your song and your guitar(s). Have a read through the manual to see what's available and how to set it up.

Moving mountains is a semi-hollow tele into some pedals into a fender twin. The P bass and the fact that there's tons of layers on the albums is something to consider as well.

thanks a lot. interesting info. i try to read manual. look forward to get this incredible rack station. i would plug to ikntm. also what’s the best way to plug a trio plus pedal and a boss ve 2 vocal processor?

Curious why you put the Reverb first and then used two amps/cabs for stereo? Would the Reverb in stereo after one amp/cab be similar?
Because Twin Reverbs favored by the Cocteau Twins didn't have effects loops. :) Plus, it sounds great. The amps get overdriven by all the extra hot input signal that gets generated when you have reverbs that swell like that.

Amps are set the same, but the IRs used in each cab block are different for extra spatial fun. And are panned hard left and right. Try the preset dry and you'll see there's still some really nice stereo thing happening because the left and right signals aren't exactly the same. Varying the IRs is an easy way to get some left-right channel variance.

Studio compressor at the end of it all keeps it from running away.

Another trick: Reverb --> Delay. Dean Wareham called that "the voice of god" signal chain.

Interesting. I usually use one clean amp (ODS, Tucanna or CA+3) but two different IRs panned L/R and then stereo Reverb. Always something new to try! Thanks.

Interesting. I usually use one clean amp (ODS, Tucanna or CA+3) but two different IRs panned L/R and then stereo Reverb. Always something new to try! Thanks.
Too easy to collapse stereo chorus, reverb, etc. running in front of the amp down to mono with that setup. Can be done but it requires some care. I wanted Easy Street so I just kept them discrete.

Too easy to collapse stereo chorus, reverb, etc. running in front of the amp down to mono with that setup. Can be done but it requires some care. I wanted Easy Street so I just kept them discrete.

Yes, that's why I usually run the stereo effects after the cab. But I will try the dual amps with some stereo effects in front. Thanks

Load the EJ Clean factory preset and play around with the cloudish named (....us) reverb models as well as the North Church and Deep Space models. The Plex Delay Shimmer model works as you'd think it would.

thanks. just downloaded. i really like the dry scene adding the delay modulation. that delay is the best one on axe. i like also that fuzz but i shouls tweak to make it less metallic

I'd love to keep this awesome discussion going and hear about other similar ideas in this genre.

One thing that I figured out today is using a detune pitch block to simulate that MBV tremolo bar sound by attaching an envelope controller to do a slight detune (I aim for -9ct max) at 100% mix with the envelope threshold fairly high so you focus the effect on the transients. This trick also works really well for delay drenched Cocteau Twins ish sounds.

Back
Top Bottom