Shipped guitar acclimation warning

TimeBandit

Inspired
Just curious about how folks handle the 24-hour acclimation warning that comes with shipped guitars. Not sure if other sellers post these warnings but Sweetwater does. Basically they tell you to let the box sit unmolested for 24 hours to allow the guitar to acclimate to your environment before opening. Do folks generally follow that guidance?

That seems more like a winter thing to me, when the biggest risk of damage can happen.

If it is being shipped from one climate in Indiana to a very different climate, then I tend to
follow that recommendation---even before Sweetwater mentioned it. If it is Indiana to New York
in June not so much.

Smaller variations in temp and humidity are not a risk. Big variations are.

That seems more like a winter thing to me, when the biggest risk of damage can happen.

If it is being shipped from one climate in Indiana to a very different climate, then I tend to
follow that recommendation---even before Sweetwater mentioned it. If it is Indiana to New York
in June not so much.

Smaller variations in temp and humidity are not a risk. Big variations are.
Yep. Indiana to hot and steamy SW Florida.

The bigger issue in the past has been buying a guitar in the winter, and having UPS/Fed EX
leave it outside in the cold, and then bringing it inside. If you open that case you'll get
immediate condensation forming on the guitar, and if it is an acoustic the top can even
check and crack.

Same with tube amps or pedals that go from cold to hot. I feel like the transition from hot
to warm is not as severe on equipment.

The bigger issue in the past has been buying a guitar in the winter, and having UPS/Fed EX
leave it outside in the cold, and then bringing it inside. If you open that case you'll get
immediate condensation forming on the guitar, and if it is an acoustic the top can even
check and crack.

Same with tube amps or pedals that go from cold to hot. I feel like the transition from hot
to warm is not as severe on equipment.
Solid bodies can get finish checking too. My DGT goldtop has little finish cracks... errr... street cred.

Huh, I never knew that.
So what's the difference between that, and taking your guitar from inside the A/C, to outside in the humidity to play an outdoor gig? Should you take it out onto your back porch, in the case, for 24 hours before you head to the gig?
This is exactly why I asked the question :) I've played many an outdoor gig in summer after my guitars have been inside in the air conditioning. I never worried about issues and honestly never encountered any.

I remember when I got my Axe Fx III, it was winter, and I brought it in but didn't open it for a while. (So I guess I kinda did know about the winter condensation issue. Not sure why I never extended that same thinking to summer.) When my 20th Majesty arrived, I went out to the UPS truck, and opened it immediately!!

I don't worry about it if the box is the close to the same temperature as the living room, If it is noticeably warmer or colder I will let it sit for a bit, but I've never waited 24 hrs.

If the temp is similar I don't worry about it but generally let everything sit overnight just because we usually receive deliveries late in the day so it's had all day to freeze or bake on the truck. Never had an issue but out of paranoia also have certain guitars that will use outdoors and others that won't

I think it's all about extremes and taking a little time to think about what's going on for that situation and then making adjustments is just smart. You don't need to do the same for each case.

During shipping, the concern is the guitar's core temp getting so low that when the guitar is immediately exposed to room temperature the finish cracks/checks. Leaving the guitar in the box 24 hours at room temp allows it to gradually warm up/acclimate. Unless you leave a guitar in the trunk of a car overnight in freezing temperatures, it's unlikely to happen in a gigging situation.

This is exactly why I asked the question :) I've played many an outdoor gig in summer after my guitars have been inside in the air conditioning. I never worried about issues and honestly never encountered any.

The danger zone is going from 30 degrees to 70 or 80... and not so much going from 75 to 90. :)

Oh, and I bet Sweetwater has had returns from people exposing a cold guitar to a warm house,
so the 24 hour rule without any context from them is just a way for them to save return costs and
cover their behinds.

The back of the ups truck is far worse than my comfy living room. I pull the new girls out and get them on the couch.

I can't let them acclimate for a gig or the ride too it. They sit in the heat at outdoor shows. Blasted with sand and salt ocean air. Or fall and winter nights my hands were almost too cold to play.

Back
Top Bottom