Sharing tracks over the internet?

jgparker59

Inspired
What's the best or even cost effective way to share tracks over the internet? I wrote some songs, multi-tracked on my Korg D3200 and would like a vocalist across the country to lay down Vox tracks. So unless he has a Korg, which he doesn't, how can we do this? Or for that matter say even someone from this forum to lay down a rip-roarin' lead. What kind of software would most musicians own or what format to send tracks back and forth and keep/get in sync with multi-tracking? Thanks for any input.

What I'd really like to see is say something like a Pro Tools ONLINE that one can log on and record a track(s) and then someone else anywhere in the world can log on and do the same and then mix down their own mix. OR what would be really cool if you can have a multi-user session where a whole band can be logged on and an engineer and record many tracks at the same time to catch the live band feel. But I'm not sure if technology is up to that point or not?

We use dropbox to send project files back and forth.. You can also try something named 'Gobbler'

Yes Dropbox is great! I've had my own site/host for years. And usually setup a FTP for people. There's free FTP programs for Mac and PC.

FileZilla

Send either .wavs or if they have a slow connection, send 320.mp3s to record with and send back .wavs

Yep, Dropbox for file transfer.

That was not really your question though. As mentioned, just bounce your mix to a wav-file (from the very start of your project) and send that file to your collaborator. He then bounces his recording(s) from the very start and send that back to you. Everything will be in complete sync.

Also, do NOT send mp3's. They will not sync, as they add a slight amount of silence to the beginning of the file.

Yes, we use dropbox too. Or yousendit. Or I use my own website server for more security. Then for Pro Tools there is digiDelivery.

Yep, Dropbox for file transfer.

That was not really your question though. As mentioned, just bounce your mix to a wav-file (from the very start of your project) and send that file to your collaborator. He then bounces his recording(s) from the very start and send that back to you. Everything will be in complete sync.

Also, do NOT send mp3's. They will not sync, as they add a slight amount of silence to the beginning of the file.

Okay so that answers it. Wav files will sync between different software/machines as long as they accept wav file format right? So we don't have to have the same machines/software, just wav compatibility?

Yep
thumbsup.gif

Okay so that answers it. Wav files will sync between different software/machines as long as they accept wav file format right? So we don't have to have the same machines/software, just wav compatibility?

Bounce to something standard like 44.1kHz/16-bit and you should be fine. You can run in to sample rate or bit depth compatible issues. We generally all work at 48kHz/24-bit so bounces are known to be compatible between our DAWs when we share stems.

I normally just use MP3 or wav files to go between. I do a rough mix leaving out those instruments I want the person to play. I make sure the beginning lines up and is not edited because regardless what DAW you use it should be fine. If someone gives me an MP3 I just drag it in my DAW (DP or PT or sometimes Logic) and convert the file to 24 bit and whatever sample rate. I'll send them back the 24 bit 44.1/48, 88.1 or 96k files back. He can always convert it on his end to whatever rate he's using.

If someone gives me an MP3 I just drag it in my DAW (DP or PT or sometimes Logic) and convert the file to 24 bit and whatever sample rate. I'll send them back the 24 bit 44.1/48, 88.1 or 96k files back. He can always convert it on his end to whatever rate he's using.

Beware that mp3's add silence at the beginning. The wav file you send back will be slightly ahead of time when imported into the original project.

Brainfart edit: it will be slightly behind, obviously!

Last edited:
we actually send each other entire Logic projects via drop box..

but when the size of the project is just a bit too huge...
it gets burned to DVD and sent by good ol' fashioned snail mail

Beware that mp3's add silence at the beginning. The wav file you send back will be slightly ahead of time when imported into the original project.

Brainfart edit: it will be slightly behind, obviously!
Oh yeah! I've had to fix that a few times.

Back
Top Bottom